• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Babs V HSBC **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey 'Teach'

We do our best to entertain, nothing wrong with a 'bit of french' :eek:

Clare, DON'T worry about a defence being submitted, it's only a delaying tactic, and they also know it 'may' make you panic and settle for less (when they offer) we all know you're strong and won't settle for any less than a full settlement.

Steve x

Dec 2006 - Sucessfully recovered over £3k from HSBC with much help from CAG :-D

if you found this post helpful, please click my reputation, thank you

(The small print-my advice and opinions are my own, and are given freely and without predjudice or liability whatsoever)

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well lets hope your all right coz at the present time id settle for half the money if I thought it would get this over and done with quicker!! ;)

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER] [CENTER]My claim against HSBC for £4,957!! :rolleyes: [/CENTER] [CENTER]6th November - letter sent requesting refund[/CENTER] [CENTER]20th November - MCOL filed[/CENTER] [CENTER]23rd November - MCOL acknowledged[/CENTER] [CENTER]24th November - Breakdown faxed to Debs at DG![/CENTER] [CENTER]20th November - defence entered[/CENTER] [CENTER][SIZE=5][COLOR=red][B][I]FULL OFFER RECEIVED TODAY!! 21/12/06[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] :D[/CENTER]

Ok, faxed the form back on Tuesday. Haven't posted it yet.

Bizarrely, (bearing in mind, babs' case), money has gone in today.

Donation on it's way

Smile:-The Ethical Bank:- Settled July 2006

HSBC:- Pre-lim sent 09/10/2006

LBA sent:-26/10/2006

Court papers issued:- 13/11/2006

Citifinancial/DLC:- Ongoing since 21st August. Now part of an OFT investigation into Debt Collection Practices.

I am only a Doctor of Love NOT Law. Don't blame me if me advice goes belly up!

:D (I will try to help all the same)

If i've helped, use the scales at the top to tell me how great I am!

Hey ALL,

After reading Jimmy's blog above, just checked my own account - MONEY IN today

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sorry, will write more later, really busy at work at mo and boss on prowl !!!!

Donation TBA

(The small print-my advice and opinions are my own, and are given freely and without predjudice or liability whatsoever)

Woooo hoooo!!! I win, I win, I win!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER] [CENTER]My claim against HSBC for £4,957!! :rolleyes: [/CENTER] [CENTER]6th November - letter sent requesting refund[/CENTER] [CENTER]20th November - MCOL filed[/CENTER] [CENTER]23rd November - MCOL acknowledged[/CENTER] [CENTER]24th November - Breakdown faxed to Debs at DG![/CENTER] [CENTER]20th November - defence entered[/CENTER] [CENTER][SIZE=5][COLOR=red][B][I]FULL OFFER RECEIVED TODAY!! 21/12/06[/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] :D[/CENTER]

Someone help!!!!!!!! Just checked my MCOL, they have entered a defence! Im so shocked!! My 28 days arent up until the 28th, why have they done it so early!??! I am in a major panic now and noone is online to help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Our date is 28th as well. We ca'nt check on line though! Looks like I can expect a letter from the court soon.

Woooooooooooooooooo hoo too! I got my money this avo!

Mind I think I've spent a fair bit of it as well - been shopping all afternoon sice I saw it sitting there!

Well done Jimmy and Clare and Steve - today must have been the day!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Prelim sent to HSBC 10/10/2006 for £5035

no response :x

LBA sent 24/10/2006

no response :x

MCOL filed 10/11/2006 :eek:

MCOL issued 13/10/2006

HSBC acknowledged MCOL 17/11/2006

HSBC entered defence + case transferred 12/12/06 :mad:

FULL OFFER! Received today 14/12/06 :D

If I have been of assistance, please tip my scales but don't forget, this is only my personal opinion, I'm no legal eagle!

Please sign this petition:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/PAYUSBACK/

congratulations guys!!! best things come to those who wait.. merry christmas...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]S.A.R. sent 30 October-reply received 10 november[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]Prelim letter sent 28 november- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]LBA sent 13 december- no reply[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple]MCOL filed 30 december- issued 02/01/07[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]loveletter from colin received 02/01/07-saying will get in touch on feb 9[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]acknowledged claim on 4 jan- has until 1 feb to defend.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]defence entered 31 jan 2007[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]offer received 1-2-2007... still waiting for the moolah though:cool: ...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=#800080]and moolah arrives 1-march 2007!!! Praise the Lord!!!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thank you all!! Need to ask a few questions, really could do with the answers before the morning so I can get this faxed over to DG asap!!

So, Im gathering all our letters say the same?

Mine states "payment is made in full and final settlement of your claims arising from the charges applied to your account in the period referred to above and by accepting this payment you agree not to make any other claims relating to these charges"

I claimed up until May this year to keep the claim under £5000 so as to keep the court costs down, I still have an amount of around £800 to claim from May until the present date. I planned to start this claim in the new year. By signing this do you think I will still be able to claim?!

Where it says the period refferred to above I cant actually see the period they are talking about! It says in the first bit "in respect of the claim you have issued in relation to charges levied on your account to date" Is this what they mean?!

Sorry for the loooooong post! Any ideas would be VERY much appreciated! Im happy to sign the confidentiality clause, just need to know that ill be able to claim the rest at a later date! Should I write a little letter to them? What should I say? Shall I just be cheeky and ask for the £800 now?!!

Thanks in advance!! (Sorry if there are any sp mistakes or this doesnt make sense! Its late!)

so, anybody else you guys can think of who need this info from lively lad?

dublubbin and chrissmith both got full offers today and i've told them - it's people who had full offers in the last say - 2 weeks - those who don't have their money and their aq deadline is coming up.

netty, which s/s worked for you?

Hi lattie

Now u ask lol... i think it was one from google!! now i too am armed and dangerous but i'm wondering how the hell i'm gonna compress 283 pages worth of statementsi in 24 lines :| lol

i'm sure i'll manage somehow.... thanks a million - don't know what i'd do without u hun!! xx

Netty x

If i've been helpful in any way....then tip my scales over there!

Netty,

It can be done, here's how I managed it:-

The Claimant has held account XXXXXX since 19XX. From Dec 00 to Aug 06, HSBC has made 82 charges (on average 27.50) for: Total Charges (when debit balance exceeded specified overdraft limit), Recall S/O-D/D (when cheque/direct debit payment was returned because the overdraft limit had been exceeded), plus interest charged on them. These charges represent a penalty and do not accurately reflect the Defendant's administration costs. Further, they are contrary to the Unfair (Contract) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Reg. 1999 para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). Further, they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. Claimant claims from the Defendant a sum equivalent to the total amount unlawfully debited from the account, being XXXX.XX. Also claimed is interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at 8%APR from date of each charge to date of the claim, total XXX.XX. Total with interest and court costs is XXXX.XX

Can anyone help me?! Ive faxed the acceptence bit over..... but havent sent anything else with it, no letter to say I want it paid within 7 days or whatever or to say that I reserve the right to claim any other charges applied to my account after may 06......... :confused:

Anyone?!

• Haha 1

Hey, mammie Lattie (and Me) have been promoted to 'Gold Accounts' woo Hooooo

This is a week to end all weeks - I just might actually 'enjoy' Christmas this year now ;)

Ummmmm..... hello? :confused:

Okay you lot!! have I gotta work this out for myself!!! ;)

Im feeling really proud of myself as Ive just found the courage to ring DG - obviously noone answered but I did leave a message!! Asked if they'd recieved my acceptence letter and also asked for the money to be paid directly into our account and how long they thought this would take....

Waiting for the call back that might never come!! But we'll see!!

Hi Catherine,

Nope, that was my wording in my MCOL claim !

Just saw you'd posted and thought my knight in shining armour had come to rescue me.....

:(

Clare,

I received my offer on Mon just gone, sent letter (and faxed) to accept (with conditions crossed out) money paid in to account yesterday :D

Now we have all dowm what we set out - what we all gonna talk about now ?? LOL

LOL Did we ever actually talk about bank charges anyway?!

What I need to know is.... the bit that I signed, does that now mean I cant claim the rest of the charges applied to my account (From May 06 to now)

Also is there anything else I should be doing or someone I should be telling that it has been settled?

Thanks babe xxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Lats! I knew you'd be along to help me at some point!! x

i'm going on xmas leave now - not going anywhere - just not coming on-line. anything not done now - one way or the other - won't shift until at least the 27th (unless it is something in the post and even that will halt after tomorrow). everybody have a good one. i intend to have a quiet, calm, healthy holiday - or not!