Financial Abuse on Disabled person

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Basically hundreds sometimes thousands a week was withdrawn from a savings account, whilst current account was in severe hardship. Current account was also being emptied by internet transfers, ATM withdrawal's and other means.

Which bank?

Who was withdrawing the funds?

Do you have all the statements/evidence?

Have you lodged a formal complaint with the bank?

Have you received their final response or are they still investigating?

Over what time period was this going on?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The bank is Santander

A family member was withdrawing funds

I have statements going back to 2005

Complaint logged with bank in March last year

Final response recieved in August saying they are satisfied withdrawels made by disabled person

This had been going on since late 2005

FOS adjudicator said it's a court matter, but I have asked for it to be reviewed by an ombudsman.

IMO this is an issue between the family member and the individual concerned.

If they can prove that the money was being withdrawn by the family member then go to the police and report it as a crime.

Does this family member have authority to withdraw money on behalf of the account holder due to their disability?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

The disabled person passed away in Feb last year and I am dealing with their affairs.

The police were informed and could see what had been happening, but because the disabled person had passed away they said there was no hard evedience.

The family member had no authority to withdraw money, and the money was not used for the disabled person, as shopping, bills ect were being paid from the current account.

The disabled person was also paying hundreds of pounds in bank charges whilst hundreds sometimes thousands were being taken from the savings account

The police were informed and could see what had been happening, but because the disabled person had passed away they said there was no hard evedience.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't accept this for one second.

They are aware and they agreed that a crime had been committed but won't take any action?

That's cause for a complaint in itself!.

Have you sought any legal advice regarding this from a solicitor yet?

What relation is this family member?

The police spoke to the person, who said they had permission to take the money. They then told me that as the disabled person had died anything they had said to any other 3rd party (I had contact details for somebody in the hospice the disabled person was in who was willing to give a statement to the police) couldn't be used as it was 3rd party evidence?

I don't know what kind of solicitor I would need in regard to this, but I did go to the C.A.B who couldn't offer any advice at all!!

It was one of the disabled persons children, who is very well known to the police for various offences including ABH.

I am at my wits end on what to do in regard to this. I thought banks were supposed to report large abnormal spending?

This goes deeper than I am willing to post on a public forum, but if anyone can advise I will send a copy of the letter I sent the FOS outling my reasons as to why the disabled person couldn't and wouldn't have made or authorised the transactions.

Edited by suzie04

I feel for you I really do, it must be incredibly frustrating to know what went on and that this so called family member has acted in this way.

I just hope they can sleep at night!

I have a sister who is just like this, only in it for what financial or material gain she can make, hence why my mother and I have nothing to do with her or her family, some individuals are just morally bankrupt and instead of getting brought down to their lower than low level, sometimes it is better to walk away knowing you're a better person than they will ever be and let them get on with it, they'll get burnt soon enough!

As for the bank, well all I can say is exhaust their complaints procedure, and highlight the error of their ways, but as we all know, banks couldn't give a stuff about it's customers, once again they are only in it for the money.

And the FOS is as much use as indicators on a submarine!