Rolling Sim Default Vodafone - Need it removed, any advice?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi people, I've been doing some searching regarding getting my default removed with vodafone and this forum came up.

It is regarding a default with vodafone from a rolling sim I had with them (this is the only default or even late payment on my file). I have been in contact with vodafone via web chat and had no luck.

I had a contract with vodafone for years and never missed a payment, Once my contract ended I called up to cancel but was talked into having a rolling sim instead. A few months down the line I had taken out a different contract elsewhere and had a new phone, so I cancelled my direct debit as I was no longer using the vodafone sim. Fast forward to last year and while looking for mortgages, I noticed the default notice on my file of £41. According to my experian the terms of the contract state "0 @ £ 0 (Monthly)" and at no point did I receive a letter asking for any outstanding balance to be paid due to the DD not being set up anymore so I was oblivious to it I had no idea I owed anything as it was a rolling sim and I was not using it now. I have since called and payed the amount, which I did as soon as I noticed it and it is "default: settled" however, the default is still showing.

This severely affected my attempts to get my first mortgage and is still affecting any attempts to get credit.

This is the only red mark on my credit file, I earn a good salary, all my accounts are paid on time, I've never missed a payment on HP's, credit cards etc and I now have a mortgage with Barclays as they ignore defaults under £250 and this was only £41. I was however recently declined for 0% finance on furniture due to this red mark from vodafone and it is affecting my ability to obtain any credit agreements right now with just moving into my first home as it is holding my credit score low. I also got declined for a 0% balance transfer card due to this.

What can I do to apply to get this removed? I was a vodafone contract customer for a couple of years and only when I was talked into a rolling sim, do they apply a default without writing to me after I cancel the DD. My credit file is perfect apart from this and I don't believe its a true reflection of my ability to pay for credit, I have lots of financial history, lots of closed accounts too all of which has never had a missed payment.Everything is green apart from this from vodafone. I can't even open a joint account with my partner for the house bills due to this default.

Regards

Tamara Clark

Edited by RTRR123

Just to add, the first time I spoke to the web team about this, they said they were handing it over to the quality assurance team, I would not get a response from them however I should check my credit file within 14 working days to check that the default was removed. However it has not been and subsequant web chats haven't gone anywhere, I'll try find the scripts now.

Transcripts of chats:

Chat start time Feb 13, 2015 9:55:54 AM EST

Chat end time Feb 13, 2015 10:50:55 AM EST

Duration (actual chatting time) 00:55:00

Operator Abby

Abby: Hello, you are through to Abby, I will be investigating your complaint today, please can you let me know the details of your issue.

Tamara Clark: Hello, Is there an email address I can use to raise a dispute regarding a Vodafone default on my credit file.

Tamara Clark: Or do I need to send a letter?

Abby: Hello Tamara, we can address your query on chat

Abby: Please let us know your query in detail

Tamara Clark: The default is only £41 and it is the only default (black mark) on my credit file and I would like it removed

Tamara Clark: The account in question was in excess of 48 months. I original had a mobile phone contract for the handset and sim. I always paid on time and in full. When I called to cancel as the contract had been completed, I got talked in to changing to a rolling monthly sim. I didn't realise this was a further contract as it was all done over the phone.

Tamara Clark: A few months following this I decided to change networks. I realised at one point that I was actually paying for two sim cards and I cancelled the Vodafone direct debit and thought no more of it.

Tamara Clark: The sim was only actually £20 a month. I signed up for Experian in March 14 and to my surprise there was a £41 default on my file. I called Vodafone and paid the balance which has ben reflected on my credit file. But given that for majority of the contract I always paid on full and in time I don't think it is fair for this default to be on my file.

Tamara Clark: It is such a small amount but it has affected my credit score ad it is the only negative mark on my file. All my accounts are always paid in full and on time so it is quite distressing to have this default.

Tamara Clark: I have recently taken out a Mortgage and have applied for furniture finance but it is proving difficult to obtain the furniture finance due to this default as it has affected my score.

Abby: We understand where you are coming from Tamara. Please provide the details for the contract so that we can check the details and take further action. If you do not have any details for the contract please provide your full address along with postcode and your date of birth.

Tamara Clark: My full address is:

Tamara Clark: **************************

Tamara Clark: I have looked on my credit report and it doesn't give a customer account number or reference

Abby: please verify your date of birth

Tamara Clark: Experian have the default date as 01/05/2013 and settlement date as 30/12/2013

Tamara Clark: my date of birth is ******

Tamara Clark: The account started on 05/12/2009

Tamara Clark: so for a good 3-4 years it was always paid in full and on time. The issues arose with the change to the rolling sim card which took place for the last few months I believe

Abby: Thank you for verifying your details.

Abby: The account number in question is 68129****

Abby: As there is no outstanding amount due on the account now we will send across the information to the Quality Assurance team who will review the account and make the required changes to your credit file.

Tamara Clark: Is it possible for the assurance team to contact me with an outcome once they have reviewed the account? my email address is *************** and mobile number is **********

Abby: The Quality Assurance team is a backend team which does not interact with customer but they update the credit file in 7-10 working days on receiving the account details.

Abby: We would be sending across your account information to them today so you can check your credit file after a few days and confirm the changes

Tamara Clark: will they be making the changes or do they have to decide this first?

Abby: They will review the account as per the information we send across before they take further action on the account.

Abby: As our team is not involved in the next process we cannot comment on this Tamara.

Abby: but as per our conversation today we will send across your account information to the Quality Assurance team so that they can validate the account and take further action on the account

Tamara Clark: ok, thank you for your help with this. I will check my credit file next week to see if there have been any changes. Many Thanks

Abby: You are welcome Tamara

Abby: Is there anything else I can do for you today?

Tamara Clark: That is everything. Many Thanks

Afew small chats later I had this chat with Amy at vodafone.

info: You are now connected with Amy.

Amy: Hello, you are through to Amy, I will be investigating your complaint today, please can you let me know the details of your issue.

Tamara Clark: Hello, my customer number is 681298659, full name Tamara Clark, DOB ***********, address **********

Amy: Hi Tamara

Tamara Clark: I just spoke to Linda regarding a default being removed from my credit file which I raised a request for on 13th Feb.

Tamara Clark: She just advised the following: Linda: I have resent the request and account will reflect as satisfied, any late payments made would still reflect on the credit file.

Tamara Clark: however I have just spoke to experian and they have advised the account is showing as satisfied as it has been paid in full. But the default status will still show as it is part of the history of the account. So in order to remove the default status they need permission from Vodafone to do so?

Tamara Clark: The default was £41 and was paid in full on 30/12/13 so my report is showing: VODAFONE Multi Communica... Default (status) Satisfied (balance) 09/02/2014

Amy: Sorry for the inconvenience caused

Amy: Please bear with me so that I can check the account details

Tamara Clark: So I just wanted to confirm that the request that was sent through today by Linda is relating to the balance as apposed to the status of the account?

Tamara Clark: sorry, is relating to changing the 'status' from default to Satisfactory

Tamara Clark: and not just the balance as the balance is already showing as satisfied on my report

Amy: Tamara, I have checked the account history, and I see that your details have been sent to the back end team who will update the credit file, however the default that we are referring to here is in regards to the late payments that were made in 2013. Once a default is recorded it remains on your credit file for 6 years from the date of default even if subsequently paid. Our quality assurance team has updated your credit file to show the default as satisfied. As the default has been correctly recorded we are unable to remove it from your credit file.

Tamara Clark: My account with experian is already showing as satisfied so I don't think this will have any impact on my score. This is the only default I have ever had, all my other accounts have always been paid in full and on time. I know it is possible to have a default removed from my file. Given that the default was £41 I don't think it is fair to be on my file and for the entire 60 months history on the account it was always paid in full and on time. My contract changed from a mobile phone contract to a monthly sim. I canceled the direct debit as I was no longer using the sim as I had changed networks

Tamara Clark: therefore i don't think it is fair to be showing as a default on my file for the next 6 years

Tamara Clark: so what do I need to do now to escalate it?

Tamara Clark: Do I need to write a letter to head office or take it up with a financial ombudsman on my bank etc?

Amy: I do agree with your concern, and you may exercise your rights. We have done our best so far to get the file updated. The default would be there on the file and there is least we could do to remove it

Tamara Clark: so who do I need to write to/contact to escalate this to get the default removed? I know it is possible for it to be removed and I am happy to continue to chase this and argue my case until it is actioned

Tamara Clark: can you confirm who I can write too or what I need to do to take this further please?

Amy: Let me checkthis for you

Amy: Tamara, please understand that we have to provide exact details of your history with Vodafone that would reflect on the Credit File. I'll escalate this case and arrange a Manager call back for you. However, you will be informed the same details by my Manager.

Tamara Clark: I called to end my contract as my 18 months had completed and I was talked into getting a rolling monthly sim over the phone. I agreed as I wasn't sure if I wanted to change networks or get a new phone etc. I then decided a few months later to get a new phone with a different network and at one point was paying for two phones eve though I wasn't using the sim with Vodafone. As it was a rolling sim I canceled the direct debit and thought no more of it. I only knew there was a default when I signed up for experian.

Amy: Tamara, we completely understand your concern. I wish I could do more for you

Amy: I've arranged the call back and you may speak to the Manager and discuss this further.

Tamara Clark: With the above taken into account ^ is not a true reflection of my credit worthiness and it is seriously damaging my attempt to obtain credit, it made it especially hard for me to get a mortgage.

Tamara Clark: When is the callback going to be?

Amy: It takes 24-48 working hours for the call back to be made.

Amy: You will receive the call and discuss the case with her further

Amy: I'll update the account as well send your details to my Manager so that she is well versed with your case and expectation

Tamara Clark: What happened to the case that was sent over to the quality assurance team? I was told in previous conversations that I have saved, that they would look into it and update my credit file withing 14 working days. I've not heard anything about that since.

Amy: We have resent the details to the back end team today as well

Let me ensure i understand this:

• When you had finished your minimum term you changed your tariff to a 'sim only' / rolling contract?
  • You never cancelled this contract, but only cancelled the DD (i.e. stopped paying them)?
  • You were under the impression that the new rolling contract needed only to not be paid for it to close?

If this is correct, then i must say that Vodafone haven't really done anything wrong here. They had a contract with yourself, you stopped paying for it and therefore they have marked your credit file with unpaid markers. Once paid they have duly updated it to say balance settled, although it was paid late so there is still a blemish on there.

The transcripts point towards them agreeing to update your credit file as they can see no outstanding balance. Hence it was updated to then show settled. But the fact that it was paid late will still remain.

In my opinion, you have no valid claim for Vodafone to remove this completely. You had a contract and failed to pay for it or cancel it, and they have updated your credit file accordingly. Any change to their stance would be purely on a goodwill basis.

They were very quick to put the default on there, lots of people have had similiar problems with small defaults and had them removed as they are not a true reflection of their credit worthiness according to search?

Back then I did not realise what the product was entirely, by "rolling monthly sim" as they described it, I did not realise it was essentially another contract and did not recieve any documentation afterwards to confirm this, I already had the sim they just switched it over on the phone.

I had no letters chasing this balance up or letting me know I owed it before placing the default on my file, I did not even get a default notice before hand.

This tiny amount of £41 which has been settled since, made it almost impossible to get a mortgage if it wasn't for barclays, and impossible to buy anything for the house on 0%, I can't even open a joint account with my partner at the moment due to this dragging my score down.I contacted experian after my first web chat with Abby, as she made it sound like the default would be removed and Experian suppressed the default last week as vodafone did not contact them withing 28 days of their query to them and my score jumped from 560 to 880! today it has reappeared on my credit file and my score has dropped to 540.

I've just settled one of my HP's, so that would as of the end of next month, more than likely pushed my score into the 900's (even higher if I did not have to search so much for my mortgage) however the default has dragged my score down.

Edited by RTRR123