• Tweets

• Yep, true to form, they are happy to just save a couple of quid... They invariably lose in court, so to them, that's a win. 😅
    • Your concern regarding the 14 days delivery is a common one. Not been on the forum that long, but I don't think the following thought has ever been challenged. My view is that they should have proof of when it was posted, not when they "issued", or printed it. Of course, they would never show any proof of postage, unless it went to court. Private parking companies are simply after money, and will just keep sending ever more threatening letters to intimidate you into paying up. It's not been mentioned yet, but DO NOT APPEAL! You could inadvertently give up useful legal protection and they will refuse any appeal, because they're just after the cash...  
    • The sign says "Parking conditions apply 24/7". Mind you, that's after a huge wall of text. The whole thing is massively confusing.  Goodness knows what you're meant to do if you spend only a fiver in Iceland or you stay a few minutes over the hour there.
    • Hi and thanks It looks like they ticked all the boxes to me but I'll try and upload the notice. I was wondering if a witness to late delivery might be considered proof - I'm assuming they posted it as normal but Royal Mail stuffed up delivery. If not then they're really saying it just has to be posted within 12 days of the incident, regardless of when it is received. Annoying! edit ok thanks Honeybee here's my 2nd (actually 3rd) attempt at anonymising, copying and uploading the notice! Sorry about the state of it - I sat on it while distracted by my dog 🙃 pcn front.pdf pcn back page.pdf
    • ROFL - dont get upset just because someone (quite a lot of someones) dont want smart meters - well unless you get paid for it .. in which case ...   I assume you haven't been with Octopus long enough to be on one of the very long fixed price tariffs they offered before the prices went bonkers .. and that you dont use your electricity in the evening/lunch time if you think the 'agile type tariffs are good value .. let alone worth installing a smart meter for - high price a good disincentive for an evening cuppa eh? Let alone all your computer/tv etc time in the peak price evening or lunch time. - and boy do those peak prices instantly hammer your bill when those Russian and middle eastern issues kick off.   I would only have considered a smart meter if solar panels had been an option for me - but roof is oriented completely the wrong way. Oh - and My opinion hasn't changed since the smart meter trials 40 years ago, because neither have the issues (well not enough) but I'm happy for you. Be happy for me.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Criminal Courts Charge to be added to all Magistrate Court fines.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For a very long time (at least four years that I know of) plans have been made at the Ministry of Justice to charge a fee to debtors when court fines are imposed. I have posted brief details of these plans on the forum over the past year and the official announcement was made yesterday of the actual amounts and the reason why they are being charged.

The following link provides some background and I will post further details later.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/336085/fact-sheet-criminal-courts-charge.pdf

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Significant changes are being made regarding court summonses and how they will be dealt with.

The most common summary offences continue to be for TV Licence Fines, speeding, failure to provide driver identity and driving a motor vehicle without valid insurance. In these cases, the new Criminal Court Charge will be £150 and will take effect from 13th April 2015.

A Schedule of the actual amounts to be charged is outlined in secondary legislation (link below)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/796/schedule/made

I can see their logic in doing this, but I am a little concerned.

a) The justice system is there to protect everyone, thus everyone pays for it out of general taxation.

b) If they are going to impose this, does that mean that our taxes used to fun that portion of the justice budget will be reduced? Not likely.

c) Implications of people pleading guilty just to avoid the extra expense.

d) A large number of crimes are committed by people who "CANT" pay anyway. Hounding them after convictions for another debt may have an impact on rehabilitation and encourage crime.

e)It could also incur more costs than revenue brought in.

We have enough bars in our justice system as it is. Do we need more?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I can see their logic in doing this, but I am a little concerned.

d) A large number of crimes are committed by people who "CANT" pay anyway. Hounding them after convictions for another debt may have an impact on rehabilitation and encourage crime.

I have personally written a number of articles about this proposal outlining my concerns about the affordability and in fact, the subject has been 'hotly' debated in the House of Commons in the past few months. This charge has been under consideration for a very long time and I received copies of the Impact documents over 2 years ago.

In my most recent article I used an example of a person receiving a summons for using a TV without a Licence.

Average court fine: £250

TV Licensing Prosecution Costs: £120

Victims Surcharge: £20

Criminal Courts Charge £150.

Amount payable: £540

If payment is not made and a warrant issued a Compliance fee of £75 is added and if a payment proposal (or full payment) is not forthcoming, the debt is passed to an individual bailiff and a further £235 Enforcement fee is added bringing the amount payable to £850 !!!

The importance of responding to a summons and completing the Means Form at an early stage is now more important than ever before. This will not remove the Criminal Court Charge (as the regulations state that the amount 'must' be charged) but at least offenders can get an affordable payment arrangement set up with the court.

Where is the CCC going, what will it pay for / reduce cost of to the taxpayer ?

What benefit other than to add another level of penalty in the criminal justice system ?

Who proposed this frankly bollocks idea ?

N

A concerning announcement. Guilty pleas encouraged and yet another burden on people with little income. Even the Magistrates' Association Chairman, Richard Monkhouse, said, "We see an awful lot of people who are offending because they have no money, so just slapping another fine on them, another costs element on them, isn't actually going to make a big difference if they're not able to pay."

The predictions state annual revenue by 2020 of £135 million, but also unpaid fees owed to the court service of £1 billion by the same date.

Particularly worrying is the review date of three years, despite the Magistrates' Association saying it should be reviewed after just 6 months. It seems another ill thought through exercise to me.

More outrageous charges on people who cannot afford the original penalty in many cases, but heigh ho, HM Courts Service must be made to turn a profit.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Where is the CCC going, what will it pay for / reduce cost of to the taxpayer ?

What benefit other than to add another level of penalty in the criminal justice system ?

Who proposed this frankly bollocks idea ?

N

The Criminal Courts Charge is just one of a whole range of changes that come into force on 13th April regarding Magistrate Court fines and this 'overhaul' was first debated in 2006 and outlined in the Ministry of Justice's Business plan way back in 2012.

The government are of the view that those convicted of criminal offences should pay towards the costs incurred by the court in bringing them to justice instead of the taxpayer having to fund the criminal justice system.

Looking back at previous documents Magistrate Courts deal with 1.8 million cases each year of which 1.2 million are 'regulatory cases' . These are summary- only non-imprisonable cases (such as TV Licensing, speeding, no insurance, failure to identity driver etc) which almost exclusively result in a financial penalty, where defendants seldom attend court or even bother to enter a plea, but where the court is still required to conduct a trial in a courtroom open to the public. It is estimated that these cases cost the taxpayer over £25m.

More outrageous charges on people who cannot afford the original penalty in many cases, but heigh ho, HM Courts Service must be made to turn a profit.

In fact the government are adamant that this is not the case given that the new regulations allow those who are convicted of a criminal offence the opportunity to pay their court fines at a rate that they can afford.

As I have said above, the Criminal Court Charge is just one of a many important changes that take place from 13th April. The other important changes (some of which I wrote about on the forum over a year ago) are outlined in the Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015. In brief these include:

That all 'regulatory' summary-only, non imprisonable offences (TV Licensing, speedings, driving without insurance, failure to provide driver identity etc) will be dealt with by a single magistrate and one legal adviser instead of a bench of two or three magistrates) without the need for the defendant or prosecutor to attend court.

The case and the amount of fine and payment terms will be decided by the single magistrate on the basis of the written documentation provided by the defendant.

The previous 'summons' is to be replaced.

Statutory declarations will have stricter conditions. The main one being that the defendant must outline whether they plead guilty or not guilty to the offence.

There are many other changes but in order to avoid confusion, it will be far better for me to outline everything in a new Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015 thread.

I have written many times on the forum regarding cases where debtors are arrested for either obstructing a bailiff or for removing a wheel clamp from a car using bolt cutters. It is offence under Section 68 of Schedule 12 of the Tribunal Courts and Enforcement Act 2007 (link below).

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2007/15/schedule/12?view=plain

If anyone on the forum is tempted to advise a debtor to cut off a wheel clamp then they should bear in mind that if the debtor is convicted at trial then from 13th April he will now incur a Criminal Court Charge of £520. This will be in additional to the court fine (which can be up to £10,000

The Criminal Courts Charge is just one of a whole range of changes that come into force on 13th April regarding Magistrate Court fines and this 'overhaul' was first debated in 2006 and outlined in the Ministry of Justice's Business plan way back in 2012.

The government are of the view that those convicted of criminal offences should pay towards the costs incurred by the court in bringing them to justice instead of the taxpayer having to fund the criminal justice system.

Looking back at previous documents Magistrate Courts deal with 1.8 million cases each year of which 1.2 million are 'regulatory cases' . These are summary- only non-imprisonable cases (such as TV Licensing, speeding, no insurance, failure to identity driver etc) which almost exclusively result in a financial penalty, where defendants seldom attend court or even bother to enter a plea, but where the court is still required to conduct a trial in a courtroom open to the public. It is estimated that these cases cost the taxpayer over £25m.

Thought the Government were bringing in online pleading to remove things like speeding etc form the courtrooms.

And TV license we know to be heading towards being a civil offense rather than a criminal one.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

For a very long time (at least four years that I know of) plans have been made at the Ministry of Justice to charge a fee to debtors when court fines are imposed. I have posted brief details of these plans on the forum over the past year and the official announcement was made yesterday of the actual amounts and the reason why they are being charged.

The following link provides some background and I will post further details later.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/336085/fact-sheet-criminal-courts-charge.pdf

What is very concerning is part 13 of the attachment see quote here

"13. The charge will be collected using existing HMCTS debt collection processes in a similar way to other financial impositions such as fines and compensation."

Will this mean more income for the EA or will this be included in the recovery order?

This will take the "debt" above a certain level that will allow the EA to charge the % that is available at this time?

What if any change will this have if an AoE is applied to the debtor? Or what will happen if the defendant is on benefits? This will leave them much less money to live on at the end of the day

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

If anyone on the forum is tempted to advise a debtor to cut off a wheel clamp then they should bear in mind that if the debtor is convicted at trial then from 13th April he will now incur a Criminal Court Charge of £520. This will be in additional to the court fine (which can be up to £10,000

That is stupid advice, to advise someone to cut off a wheel clamp! Surely it is illegal as well as criminal damage?!

Charges added to debtors fines seems to be a good idea in the case of debtors who have the ability to pay but refuse to pay and ignore all communication.

Send in the bailiffs, teach them a lesson that they should repay their debt if they have money!

Charges added to debtors fines is certainly a bad idea in the case of debtors who can not afford to pay their debts. I've seen a few threads on CAG where the debtor is struggling to pay council tax and their local council are simply ignoring them, ignoring their complaints, concerns and inability to repay, and just proceeding with enforcement. If someone is struggling to repay a debt, then they should be given help, time, assistance etc - certainly not proceed to court and bailiffs whereby the debt is increased significantly!

On a second thought what if the defendant completes the MC100 form and the bench still decide to make the Recovery Order at a level that will cause financial hardship?

The amount of "fine" now will have increased significantly and therefore the costs could have a detrimental affect of the family of the defendant. If these costs are indeed added this may cause even more poverty.

Will HMRC now allow a reasonable amount of time to pay the fines and will this also be seen to stop the full balance being demanded by the EA?

What are the new time scales being allowed to pay the new higher rate of fines now?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Quote from post 9

"In fact the government are adamant that this is not the case given that the new regulations allow those who are convicted of a criminal offence the opportunity to pay their court fines at a rate that they can afford".

I assume this is only applicable if the debt has not been sent to the EA for collection then? Following the quote above will the EA now be stopped from demanding full payment at the first attendance or has this not changed?

So using the quote in its meaning then what are your interpretations' as to full payment at first call? Given that the Government wants the debtor to pay at an affordable rate!

I'm missing something here. The Act refers a lot to Section 21B of the POA.

I can't see Section 21B. I can see Section 21, but it has no A or B.

Please can someone link to the legislation I'm having a senior moment about.

I still return to this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?443504-Criminal-Courts-Charge-to-be-added-to-all-Magistrate-Court-fines.&p=4714182&viewfull=1#post4714182

The Government have a proven history of getting many things wrong, so their word counts for little. They have chosen deliberately to ride roughshod over the Magistrates' Association - the one body which, above all, know the reality.

Have they said why they chose totally to ignore their views? No - not as far as I can ascertain.

EXPLANATORY NOTE

(This note is not part of the Regulations)

Section 21A(1) of the Prosecution of Offences Act 1985 (c. 23) (“the POA 1985”) requires a court, at the times listed in section 21B of the POA 1985, to order a person convicted of an offence to pay a charge in respect of relevant court costs (the “criminal courts charge”). This duty does not apply in the cases or classes of case prescribed by the Lord Chancellor (section 21A(3)).

Have you read the explanatory notes at the bottom of the new Act yet some interesting points there especially part 21(e)

EXPLANATORY NOTE

(This note is not part of the Regulations)

Section 21A(1) of the Prosecution of Offences Act 1985 (c. 23) (“the POA 1985”) requires a court, at the times listed in section 21B of the POA 1985, to order a person convicted of an offence to pay a charge in respect of relevant court costs (the “criminal courts charge”). This duty does not apply in the cases or classes of case prescribed by the Lord Chancellor (section 21A(3)).

Regulation 2 prescribes the classes of case in which the criminal courts charge must not be ordered: where an offender is dealt with for the offence by being absolutely discharged, or where the offender is given a hospital or guardianship order for the offence, or a direction for hospital admission, under the Mental Health Act 1983 (c. 20); and those cases where the Criminal Cases Review Commission has referred the case for appeal. Regulation 2(2) and (3) provide that where a court deals with an offender in the same proceedings for both an offence and for any failure to comply with requirements imposed by a community order, a community requirement of a suspended sentence order or a supervision requirement, the court must not impose a criminal courts charge when dealing with the offender for the breach of a requirement. Regulation 2(4) deals with the unusual situation where a court is dealing with an offender in the same proceedings for multiple breaches of orders mentioned in section 21B of the 1985 Act. Where for example the court deals both with a breach of requirements imposed by a community order and a breach of the community requirements of a suspended sentence order, regulation 2(5) means that a charge must not be imposed in relation to the failure to comply with the community requirements of the suspended sentence order.

Regulation 3 and the associated table in the Schedule specify the amounts payable in respect of different classes of case. Regulation 3(4) and (5) for example, deal with the situation where a court is dealing with an offender for more than one offence in the same proceedings where more than one entry in column 1 of the table is potentially relevant. This may occur where a magistrates’ court at a trial is dealing with an offender for conviction of both a summary offence and an offence triable either way. Article 3(5) explains that the court must order the highest relevant amount corresponding to the class of case with which it is concerned.

Section 21E of the POA 1985 gives a magistrates’ court power to remit the criminal courts charge in certain circumstances. The magistrates’ court may not do so until “a specified period” has elapsed from certain events, such as the day on which a person was last convicted of an offence. Article 4 specifies the relevant periods and makes different provision depending on whether an application for remission is made by the offender (where the specified period is two years) or any other case – a magistrates’ court acting of its own motion or an application by a fines officer – (where the period is 12 months).

But where is Section 21B? Sorry to keep banging on, but there's links to Section 21, but not to 21B. If you look at the Table of Contents, there is no 21B. There's 21(b) which is very different.

I think I'm going crazy here lol! I just can't see it.

No I haven't lol! Surely it's enshrined in the legislation somewhere - they wouldn't make such a basic error (I hope), but I'd like to see it with my own eyes. I always like to check back to the source.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep hunting.