• Tweets

• If you do get a letter of Claim and or Pre Action Protocol pack 15. Where there has been non-compliance with a pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction, the court may order that (a) the parties are relieved of the obligation to comply or further comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (b) the proceedings are stayed while particular steps are taken to comply with the pre-action protocol or this Practice Direction; (c) sanctions are to be applied. 16. The court will consider the effect of any non-compliance when deciding whether to impose any sanctions which may include— (a) an order that the party at fault pays the costs of the proceedings, or part of the costs of the other party or parties; (b) an order that the party at fault pay those costs on an indemnity basis; (c) if the party at fault is a claimant who has been awarded a sum of money, an order depriving that party of interest on that sum for a specified period, and/or awarding interest at a lower rate than would otherwise have been awarded; (d) if the party at fault is a defendant, and the claimant has been awarded a sum of money, an order awarding interest on that sum for a specified period at a higher rate, (not exceeding 10% above base rate), than the rate which would otherwise have been awarded. https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rules/pd_pre-action_conduct   .
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
    • Thanks all! My wife was driving at the time (took our daughter to get new school uniform) and I wasn't there so I'm not sure what the signage was actually like, but yes, Parkopedia says 2:30, so it's barely over that. I will check it out with her when she gets home later, I haven't even told her about this yet as she'll probably be quite upset. So - likely my best response at this stage is to just wait it out until a Letter Before Claim arrives?
    • check mcol does it state DQ N180 sent to you? if it does then: https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/347310-legal-n180-directions-questionnaire-small-claims-track/#comment-5088148 3 copies yes to mediation (unless you filed our Statute Barred Defence OR this is a claim for a Private Parking Ticket) 1 wit you Suitability for determination without a hearing? no (that the issues are so complex they need to be argued orally') the rest is obv 1 to the court 1 to their sols (omit phone/sig/email) if no sols send to claimant 1 for your file   dx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Should I give in to TV licence?

tvlicence
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3242 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have lived at my property as a tenant for a little over a year.

My landlord lives abroad,

I rent through an agency and

they left all their property here incl their TV so getting rid of it is not an option.

I never got a TV licence for this property in the time I have lived here.

Automatically generated letters threatening various actions have arrived.

I am used to these as I never owned a TV in my life

but previously I didn't need one either,

so had nothing to worry about.

However now that I do, I am worried.

I live on the 1st floor in a block of flats and I personally know my ground floor neighbours who have been to my flat and would recall seeing a tv here.

It would seem even though I have never spoken to one nor would I ever open the door to one,

a TV licence person has been regularly coming to visit my property for the past few days.

This has been around 7pm so a bit out of normal working hours

( I haven't a clue what normal working hours are for them!).

I cannot think of another person who would cause such harassment so I am certain it must be them.

However they have never during these visits left a note/letter to say they've been and will be coming again.

I am pretty sure after declining to open the door to them today that they went knocking on other doors (which didn't open)

and finally were talking to people downstairs.

I asked my ground floor neighbours but they never told me a thing in regard to who it was

(just stated it wasn't them knocking earlier when I was having a bath)

and I have never discussed TV licence business with them.

I am worried whether I can get away without paying for a licence if getting rid of this TV is not an option.

Would a confirmation from my neighbours be enough for them to get a court order without talking to me?

Would them obtaining my name through some other source also be enough proof of my identity?

Would I if I were to as a last resource go on their website and sign up for a licence TODAY using my original details

get in trouble even more because now they'd know who I am

and would probably wonder why the property was unlicensed for the amount of time it was,

so I could be prosecuted?

Please help!

Edited by tvlicence

who says you are watch live tv?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

who says you are watch live tv?

dx

I do not but it is connected to receive live broadcast.

They will never be lucky enough to talk to me, however as I said I am worried if I could be summoned to court should they get my name from other sources and/ or confirmations from a neighbour regarding me having a tv set. They have been very persistent in their visits as of late and I wonder what would happen if they turn up at my doorstep with the police.

You do not have to let them in or let them come into your flat, you do not and MUST NOT give them your name, you must refuse to answer their questions despite whatever they say they can do and NEVER NEVER EVER SIGN anything In fact if they do manage to get as far as your front door, just shut it on them DONT go down the route of withdrawing implied right of access that's another can of worms

They do work funny hours, I had them at the door about 8pm.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

woe slowdown.................

you only need a TV licence if you watch live TV

owning a TV does not mean you do. it is not a crime to own one

the old days of bashing down doors is gone.

I'd be reading a few threads I this forum where you have posted.

they are no longer bailiffs or anything.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

If you don't watch live tv then you don't need a licence.

Unplug the lead for the live broadcast and you have done nothing wrong.

George

I am never voluntarily letting them in to see that anyway.

As I have stated above my worry is in case I get summoned to court, they turn up with police ( a scary thought in itself regardless of me breaking the law or not) or gathering evidence from neighbours (during their numerous visits) if that can count?

These are what I would like to know people's experiences about. Do you get in trouble if you do not talk to them?

And if I were to start paying now, would I incriminate myself some more by raising suspicion why address was unlicensed in the past?

I am never voluntarily letting them in to see that anyway.

As I have stated above my worry is in case I get summoned to court, - you cant you've signed nowt

they turn up with police ( a scary thought in itself regardless of me breaking the law or not) - they cant those days are gone

or gathering evidence from neighbours (during their numerous visits) if that can count? - doesn't count

These are what I would like to know people's experiences about.

Do you get in trouble if you do not talk to them? - no

And if I were to start paying now,

would I incriminate myself some more by raising suspicion why address was unlicensed in the past?

cant see any point

dx

and they

• 2 weeks later...

they have a database of every address in the UK and know which of these addresses doesnt have a licence. More than that they dont know so rely on say 3% of the 5% of households watching TV without a licence so they go in with the assumption that you are bang to rights whenthey really know that there is a 40% chance thy have got is wrong.

A friend of mine infored TV licencing he didnt have a telly and they kept on bothering him and one day turned up with a police offcier and a warrant. He let the copper in but not the licencing chap as the copper's authority was exactly the same. Exit one fuming Capita employee.

So, you can categorically state that you do not own a television and one is not provided for you by anyone else. You dont have to let these people in nor even talk to them.

since the change for the licence not being administered by a gov't agents

simply put, for want of a diff label, they are the same as a DCA with NO POWERS WHATSOEVER.

nor have you to allow police to enter the premises

without a court order

they certainly can never enter your home even with a court order, that's for a court bailiff

and they

• 1 month later...

Just curious but can someone show where it says that they cannot get a warrant to check you have a TV anymore?

About to move into a new flat, I don't watch TV and don't plan on paying for a licence for it. There's a few videos I've seen where they turn up to your house with the police demanding that they can go in and check.

Just invite them to attend. Disconnect TV and any other devices you have which you could immediately switch on to receive live broadcasts.

Once they have attended and spoken to you, it should be the end of the matter.

BBC/Capita Police. This country is going to the Dogs. Seems like there is a desperation to obtain money by any means. There will soon be a shoe tax, where you are fitted with a pedometer and you have to pay for walking to pay for damage caused to pavements.

In the new world of mobile access to TV and more people watching YouTube/ other video output, the BBC funding model is becoming out dated. They need to take on advertising and if government wants to support media, they should think of how they can do this. BBC is not as good as it was 10 years ago and much of the output is repeats.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

BBC/Capita Police. This country is going to the Dogs. Seems like there is a desperation to obtain money by any means. There will soon be a shoe tax, where you are fitted with a pedometer and you have to pay for walking to pay for damage caused to pavements.

More likely they will insert a GPS tracking device and bill you for each mile whether you walk or not.

Bonus points for guessing which cavity they would use :tape2:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

More likely they will insert a GPS tracking device and bill you for each mile whether you walk or not.

Bonus points for guessing which cavity they would use :tape2:

They can stick a camera up my ars* and broadcast it live. May be more interesting and certainly newer than most BBC progs.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Just curious but can someone show where it says that they cannot get a warrant to check you have a TV anymore?

About to move into a new flat, I don't watch TV and don't plan on paying for a licence for it. There's a few videos I've seen where they turn up to your house with the police demanding that they can go in and check.

It's not that they can't get a warrant, but, that they need to show good cause for a warrant to be issued.

They can't just turn up at court and say "We think this person has a TV and we think they might be using it to watch live broadcasts".

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

I had a very interesting conversation with a former TVL agent awhile back(now a Sky tv salesman),he said that it was not worth the time to request a warrant because it would waste(on a good day)3 hours,where he could be making commission from people he'd conned into believing that by buying a license from him,they were avoiding a court summons!