• Tweets

• OK, thanks, I won't wait for them. On a side note, some of the posts on here are a bit frustrating, I read through five pages or so of someone going through the court process rooting for them as I'm reading, then nothing, not heard of again. Left here wondering what the outcome was, lol!
    • Hello Caggers,   I've been trying for years to get an old EE account wiped off my credit file. It was opened in 2013 and almost immediately defaulted but was shown as "Payment Arrangement" ever since. I contacted EE by telephone in 2022 and was advised it had not been wiped because there was still £69 owing, I paid it and thought it would correct once the CRA's updated their reporting cycle. However, it has still not been removed. I made a formal complaint on 27/03/2024 and have had contact with the executive team who advised that  "EE account ......... has now been deleted from the Credit File as it failed to close as it was reporting the payment arrangement set up despite, as advised this failing which should have resulted in a further default showing.  Please be advised the deletions we have completed take 24 hours to update if a paid service is used to view the Credit File. If the customer uses one of the free services to view the Credit File, the recordings update in 24 hours but the changes can take up to 30 days to be visible on a new copy of the Credit File. I have requested compensation and been advised by EE that another team are looking into this. That was almost 2 weeks ago and there has been no contact since, despite me chasing it. I do not want to go to court and would rather settle this amicably. However,I have been advised that I might have a claim for aggravated damages due to the length of time the incorrect reporting has been on my file and the fact that I told EE about this issue and paid the demanded outstanding amount of £69 almost 18 months ago. Should I just wait for EE to reply or should I start building my case against them? Is their statement admissible as evidence of their blame or do I need to dig a bit more? I made a DSAR which was initially rejected as having no data found yet. I trawled my e-mails from 2013 and found the account number and mobile number, I'm now awaiting the result of my 2nd attempt at DSAR. I have very little in the way of proof of actual loss except a mortgage refusal e-mail from HBOS in 2015. I have also had high interest loans and credit over the last 10 years but again cannot directly attribute this to this one specific error. There were other items on my credit file that could also have contributed to a low credit score too and I'm not out to cash in on anything. I want to make sure I don't end up shooting myself in the foot for any obvious reason and would appreciate any help from anyone who has had similar experience with breaches of DPA.
    • Noted. Keep an eye on the other threads here including the update a few hours back by Rob Carr.
    • dont need statements. nor std info sheets. EVERTHING else  dx
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Civil recovery RLP received letter. HELP PLEASE

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3271 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was caught shoplifting £27 worth of goods from a superdrug store.

It was a moment of madness.

EXTREMELY out of character and I'm deeply ashamed.

I gave the goods back to the store and it was my first offence.

The police were called and they did an identity check but that's it.

I was handed a civil recovery form and told I am going to get a fine from RLP in the next few weeks.

After reading various threads they all say to ignore the letters.

As I am moving out of the address I gave in a few months is this still a wise thing to do?

I'm tempted to just pay it and get it out the way even though I'm a full time uni student and will struggle to afford the amount.

I'm extremely scared, if I ignore the letters will I get taken to court or will it affect my credit rating?

Also am I on a database that employers can check?

I'm graduating in a few months and this has scared me a lot.

I want to be 100% sure I can ignore the letters as I am moving out in a few months.

Please will someone give me some advice?

Thank you

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes as you've read

simply totally ignore them.

doesn't matter you are moving

infaact that's prob a good thing

auto makes you ignore them.

there is absolutely nothing they can do that can ever hurt you now

or in the future.

end off!!

dx

oh and its NOT A FINE!!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

From what I've read on here since I joined.

RLP can do nothing apart from send out threatening letters.

It can't affect your credit rating and it wont affect your employment after you graduate.

Ignore RLP

Good Luck

Also am I on a database that employers can check?

I want to be 100% sure I can ignore the letters as I am moving out in a few months.

Hi,

The only database that you are on is RLP's to send you pointless letters that as posted above you can safely ignore.

Employers can only check your criminal record (for certain jobs) and because you were not cautioned by the Police or Convicted by a Court, future employers will not know that this event ever happened in your life unless you tell them yourself.

If your moving out, do not inform RLP of your new address, just move on with your life and learn from the experience.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Hi and welcome to CAG.

You have been dealt with by the relevant people, the police. They took no further action. End of the matter.

RLP won't see it the same way. The form you have been issued is a standard form that RLP send to the security staff to hand out to shoplifters. There is copies littered all over this forum which say the same thing. 4 sections containing what RLP belives they can claim for. It is total rubbish with the exception of goods lost or not able to be resold.

I wouldn't even be worried about the letters after you have moved. RLP can still do nothing. they are acting as the agent for Superdrug and as such have no right to take anyone to court, nor do the pet debt collector they set on you. The only people who could sue are Superdrug and IF they chose to sue you, it would cost them more than they would get as it would be on the small claims track so they don't bother.

There will be nothing on any DBS check. The only database that you will appear on is RLPs own one. They purport to allow employers to check this database (for a fee) but to do that, any employer would need your permission to do so.

Basically after all my waffle, ignore them.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

RLP rely on 2 things to get people to pay up, guilt and misinformation.

You feel guilty becasue you have been caught out and it is embarassing so you feel as though something should happen that allows you to atone for your wrongs.

RLP rely on this and word their letters accordingly. That is taking advantage of people when they are in a vulnerable state.

The misinformation will also be included in thei letters, they will claim they are part of a judicial process,

they will say thay you owe the money because you are GUILTY of something (they dont say what)

they say they work in conjunction with the police (they dont)

they will say almost anything to get you to pay up when there is no reason to do so.

They have not suffered a loss by your action,

you have not been fined,

you are not a convicted criminal.

They may claim you will go on a database of shoplifters-bunkum,

your name goes on their database of prospective mugs for fleecing and that is all.

It wont go anywhere else.

Hi,

I posted here last week regarding a shoplifting incident that was very out of character.

I have received this letter from the RLP - I attached a picture.

i was advised to ignore all letters from the RLP but I was expecting a fine.

This letter states that they have given me 21 days to advise them of any circumstances which may have contributed to my actions.

As I am on antidepressants should I inform them or just ignore this letter and forget anything that happened?

I'm a student so can't afford to pay a big fine.

Please help. Thank you.

hi, the usual advice given is just to ignore them.

from what i see on CAG they (RLP) use underhand tactics to try and get money from people.

they can not do anything.. they may probably pass your details onto a DCA, but the DCA can not enfore the 'debt' as it is not a debt.

speculative invoicing...

Hi thanks for your reply.

I move out of the address they have in a few months. If it does get passed on to the DCA and they find out I have moved will they track me down and take me to court? I'm really scared. How long will these letters last?

Billi, I have merged both your threads, there was no need to start a new one :)

You will need to convert your image to pdf format, it is too small to read as a jpeg.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sorry, I am not very good with technology.

The letter says they have given me 21 days to let them know if any circumstances which may have contributed to my actions.

If they don't hear from me then it says they will have no option but to proceed with the claim.

Should I inform them I'm on antidepressants or just ignore all letters?

I'm so scared I'm going to be found and taken to court,.

..even though I move out of the address in a few months.

I'm scared they're going to track me down.

I'm in my final few months of uni,

I have a dissertation to write and exams to revise for.

.this is the last thing I need to think about as I am already so stressed.

Hi thanks for your reply.

I move out of the address they have in a few months. If it does get passed on to the DCA and they find out I have moved will they track me down and take me to court? I'm really scared. How long will these letters last?

from what I read, the last time they did actually take someone to court was a few years ago. they also lost at court.

just ignore ignore ignore and don't allow yourself to be intimidated by their tactics

I would bet that the letter you have received is similar to this one.

While not the same retailer the gist is the same.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Hi,

yes it is similar however they have not included the second half of your letter.

They didn't mention any sums of money.

They just said I have 21 days to reply.... I'm very scared.

If I ignore them from now on will they track me down and get fined even more or taken to court?

I need reassurance please.

Hi,

I posted here last week regarding a shoplifting incident that was very out of character.

I have received this letter from the RLP - I attached a picture.

i was advised to ignore all letters from the RLP but I was expecting a fine.

This letter states that they have given me 21 days to advise them of any circumstances which may have contributed to my actions.

As I am on antidepressants should I inform them or just ignore this letter and forget anything that happened?

Please help. Thank you.

sorry where does it say ANYWHERE

or do they use the word FINE anywhere....

they DONT

ignore them

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

yes it is similar however they have not included the second half of your letter.

If I ignore them from now on will they track me down and get fined even more or taken to court?

where does this word FINE keep coming from??

dx

and they

Hi,

let us get this straight. RLP cannot EVER take ANYONE to court. They do not have that right. Nor do any Debt Collector. Only the principle (the retailer) can take any action and they don't bother. RLP can send as many letters as they want. It means nothing.

If you feel harassed by the letter, report then to Trading Standards (via the CAB) as:

a) The letter is misleading and

b) It is threatening in nature.

Have you had a read of the Oxford case?

I notice you read a few threads in this forum

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?236-Retail-loss-Prevention-Other-shoplifting-allegations.

please go find one where the poster got

fined

taken to court

lost/couldn't get a job

dx

and they

Hi,

yes I have researched the oxford case and I

am aware that they lost that case

however I am scared that I will be the next person they try to take to court

because I usually have bad luck with everything else in my life.

I'm just scared.

I am unaware of how many letters the RLP send every year and how many people ignore them.

If anyone knows any figures then it will out my mind at rest.

I feel like they are concentrating on my personal case

and will do anything to punish me for the stupid mistake I made.

what authority do they have to punish you?

dx

and they

We can only guess how many letters they send out each year but I do know we only get a fraction of them here. Over the past few years, we have studied a lot of cases and read many threads where everything goes quiet. We have NEVER had anyone come back and slag us off for giving incorrect information. Occasionally someone will come back a year or so down the line saying the letters stopped and no further action was taken.

On the RLP website they loved to spout off how many cases 'they' had won. Actually they didn't win anything as they were not the principal.

Since July 2012 there have been no court cases (to my knowledge) since the Oxford case scared off the retailers. It would cost them far more than they could reclaim if they went to court.

From your last statement, it seems to me your anti depressants aren't working very well. Please go see your doctor. He or she must respect patient confidentiality.

To RLP, you are just a potential cash cow and they don't care who you are. They will say all this bovine excrement about taking incorrect information from the internet but that is utter rubbish as it was the internet that exposed their shady practice in the first place

As posted above please go to your Doctor and get your antidepressants increased.

You do not have to pay any fine so please ignore the stupid letters that RLP send you.

however I am scared that I will be the next person they try to take to court

because I usually have bad luck with everything else in my life.

As posted not only above but in many other threads in this forum, RLP will not take you to Court.

With the bad luck side of things, once again you need to sit down with your Doctor who will decide the best course of action for you.

Everyone gets bad luck, because you are concentrating on the negative, you are overlooking the positives.

The good news is your a Student, so you are intelligent, young enough to learn from your mistakes and please do not let this effect your studies, set yourself a target and work hard to achieve it.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

Just an aside. I suffer with depression too and have been on the happy pills for ages but the one thing that helped me more than the pills was counselling. This helped me come to terms with my negativity and although I still need the pills, I can use my learning to help me overcome the downs and concentrate on the ups.

I'm just absolutely petrified of things being taken further because of me ignoring the letters

Anxiety is normal, but there really is no reason to worry about RLPs silly letters.

Think about it; the only thing RLP can do is send letters. The letters are just words printed on a piece of paper, nothing more. They are produced by a computer, and are designed to create anxiety and mislead people into thinking that RLP have some sort of power or authority that do not in fact possess. It's despicable, and a particularly unethical way to try to get money, but all you have to do is ignore them. That puts you in control, not them.