Clearer call rates for 084, 087, 09 or 118 numbers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3317 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Every day, people use service numbers to make phone calls to companies and organisations, contact directory enquiries or even to vote in TV shows.

But the cost of calling these numbers - which start 08, 09 or 118 - is often difficult to find out.

Under the new rules designed by Ofcom and coming into effect this summer, consumers calling service numbers will see the cost split out into an 'access charge' going to their phone company, plus a 'service charge' set by the company or organisation they are calling.

From 1 July 2015, the cost of calling service numbers will be made up of two parts:

• An access charge: This part of the call charge goes to your phone company, charged as pence per minute. They will tell you how much the access charge will be for calls to service numbers. It will be made clear on bills and when you take out a contract.
  • A service charge: This is the rest of the call charge. The organisation you are calling decides this, and will tell you how much it is.

http://www.ukcalling.info//whats-happening

Since November 2011 creditors inviting debtors to call them should not have been using numbers that cost more than the standard geographic rate. Last year, as a result of the highly critical PAC report on the use of 0845 numbers by DWP all government departments were mandated to offer alternative geographic numbers. The Consumer Rights Directive which came into force last June should have meant the end of 084 and 087 numbers for most consumer calls.

The FCA has consulted on the use of geographic numbers and appears to have accepted a business argument that mobile numbers are now acceptable. Apart from my local CAB I am not aware that any other consumer bodies have objected to this proposal.

Unfortunately a recent urgent contact request from Sainsbury's Credit card only gave an 0870 number so there is still a long way to go!

Long time ago jobseekers used to able to talk to someone about something at the place if they wanted to, now the glorified desk sales person and advisor tells them "you have to ring up" depending on the request.

I remember having to get a letter to show I was on benefits for dental work. Some roundabout way to get ppl to ring up, makes sense now.