Paper section of driving licence to be scrapped by DVLA: What do I need to know?

Conniff
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3314 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Driving licences will go paperless from June as the government continues to press ahead with plans to take more service online.

For the past 17 years drivers have had to keep two parts of a driving licence: one a sheet of paper detailing their penalty points and endorsements, and the other a plastic ID card. The government has decided to phase out the paper element of the licence.

"The reason for abolishing the counterpart is to reduce the burden on motorists,” a government spokesperson explained.

"For most drivers there simply isn’t a need to have this information on a piece of paper when it is now freely and easily available online. It also saves drivers from paying £20 to replace a lost or damaged counterpart," they told the Plymouth Herald.

When are the changes coming into effect?

Earlier this year minister announced that all paper counterparts to licences would no longer be valid after 8th June this year. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) are also advising all drivers to destroy their paper counterparts.

If my licence was issued before 1998 do I need to get a new licence?

No. Your licence will still be valid and does not need to be replaced, until it is due for renewal.

"The next time you need to update your name, address or renew your licence, you will be issued with a photocard only," a DVLA spokesperson told The Daily Telegraph.

How will I check my driving record?

All of your details – and the details of Britain’s approximately 30 million motorists – will be compiled on an online database that you will be able to access. The decision is part of the government’s “Red Tape Challenge”.

The site, launched last year, is available here but those who wish can still request their records either by telephone or post.

I’m a business owner and employer. How will these changes affect me?

A similar site for employers, allowing them to check the driving details of possible employees, is planned for launch at some point in spring this year. A date for the launch has not yet been released.

Good :)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Does that mean I need to get a photo licence ?

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

Its doesn't matter how big the computer is, if they don't have an internet connection then they won't be able to see your driving record! So how will they know you don't have 12 points on your licensedrool.gif

This get me and mrs conniff at home when lots of ads for things that were available easily are now turning to online only. There really are hundreds of thousands of people who don't have, and lots who don't want, a computer.

This get me and mrs conniff at home when lots of ads for things that were available easily are now turning to online only. There really are hundreds of thousands of people who don't have, and lots who don't want, a computer.

True, but I'd put money on it that your average car rental company ain't one of them. lol.gif

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.

Originally Posted by topcat1802 viewpost-right.png Its doesn't matter how big the computer is, if they don't have an internet connection then they won't be able to see your driving record! So how will they know you don't have 12 points on your licensedrool.gif

what kind of a business in 2015 isn't going to have an internet connection?,,,are you for real???

I’m a business owner and employer. How will these changes affect me?

A similar site for employers, allowing them to check the driving details of possible employees, is planned for launch at some point in spring this year. A date for the launch has not yet been released.

Ah, that was the one I was wondering about, no that I'm a Business owner but my wife deals with that sort of thing at work.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Originally Posted by topcat1802 viewpost-right.png Its doesn't

what kind of a business in 2015 isn't going to have an internet connection?,,,are you for real???

You would be very surprised how may companies do not have any sort of internet access some are still in the 19th Century!! I have hired a van in the past 12 months and the van hire company still used paper records stored in a filing cabinet!

It is called word of mouth :)

If you are generally good at what you do, your reputation does the marketing for you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.