• Tweets

• In that case I don't think you'd have any grounds for a claim against the receiver, short of anything actually criminal. The receiver was appointed by the lender so any claim you make should be aginst them. How much equity do you reckon there was when they took possession? Realistic value less outstanding balance (including arrears).  This messing around makes me wonder even more if the property was wildly over valued. Normally a lender would sell and not really care if they got the best price so long as they covered the balance plus their costs. 
    • Hey @lookinforinfo I'm not sure, I don't believe he told them he's the driver. He must have selected an option saying that he's appealing on behalf of the driver or something of the sort. In more news, however, these wannabe thugs are back at it again. Honestly, what a joke. In the letter they sent before this it said they had made "2 attempts" and in this letter they said "4 attempts", I wonder what happened to the "3rd attempt" lol.  WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 14.06.07_44abc9c8.pdf
    • Hi all, I purchased a car in January from Big Motoring World Leeds. At the time of sale I was shown a tab on the salespersons computer marked 'service history' and I was able to take comfort knowing that the car had been serviced on 3 occasions as the date, mileage and company was there on screen. Being a 3 and a bit year old car that, in my mind, constituted full service history 🤷‍♂️ Anyway, collected the car a week later. Once home I settled down to through the book pack etc. Opened the service history booklet and it was completely blank. In addition there were no invoices detailing that any services had been done. I duly contacted BMW and asked them to supply me with proof of service history. They responded saying that on their 'vehicle documentation checklist' I had ticked and then signed to the fact that I had seen the service history and that I was happy with it. I dug out this checklist and what it actually states is 'seen service history online' which I had in the showroom. BMW seem to think that this satisfies their responsibility in providing service history. The reality is that I don't have any proof that the vehicle has ever been serviced! For my own peace of mind I ended up paying for a service that satisfied the manufacturers maintenance schedule to the tune of £330. I even complained to the finance company that the vehicle contravenes the Sale of Goods act 2015 as l, in effect, ot is not as described. Amazingly they weren't interested and instead I just got an email stating that it's not illegal to sell a vehicle without service history and that servicing costs were part and parcel of vehicle ownership. I've since complained to the ombudsman and am awaiting to see if they can help. I have no issue with the car but the treatment and customer service has been the worst I've ever experienced. I don't really know what to do next as I really do feel aggrieved that I've had to pay to service a car that should have already been serviced. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? 🙏
    • Fraudsters copy the details of firms we authorise to try and convince people that their firm is genuine. Find out why you shouldn’t deal with this clone firm.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

unknown Cabot/mortimer CCJ CITI Debt - set asde ok now new hearing ***Claim Dismissed by Consent***

sjp1976
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2425 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi dx100uk,

That gives me some comfort then, what happens next then? Does the court provide some direction to this giving the claimant some limited time to provide documents?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Seems my case has now been assigned to the "Small Claims Track"

The court notice is as follows:-

----------------------------------------

It is ordered that:-

1. This claim is allocated to the Small Claims Track and the and parties are referred to Part 27 of the Civil Procedure Rules and the Practice Direction of that Part for guidance on how the hearing of the claim will be conducted.

2. The claim will be hear at xxxxxxxxxxxx on a date and at a time which is set out on a notice attached to this Order, or which will be sent to you later. The Court reserves the right to change the place and/or time of the hearing.

3. From the available papers, it is estimated that the hearing will take one hour. If a party is aware of a reason why this estimate might be substantially inaccurate, that party must notify the court immediately.

4. The parties are encourages always to try to settle the case by negotiation. The parties are encouraged to contact each other with a view to trying to settle the case or narrow the issues. The court must be informed immediately if the case is settled.

5. The following paragraphs set out the Judge's directions for preparation for the hearing. Failure to comply with th directions may result in the case having to be adjourned and the party at fault having to pay costs.

The following Directions apply to this Claim:

6. Each party must deliver to the other party and to the court office copies of all documents on which that party intends to rely at the hearing no later than fourteen days before the hearing.

7. The original documents must be brought to the hearing.

8. The judge may refuse to consider a document or take it into account if a copy of it has not been sent to the other party as required by this Order.

9. The documents to be sent to the other party and the court must include the statements of all witnesses (including the parties themselves).

10. Witness statements must:

a) Start with the name of the case and the claim number

b) State the full name and address of the witness

c) Set out the witness's evidence clearly in numbered paragraphs on numbered pages

d) End with this paragraph: "I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true." (or words to that effect_

e) Be signed by the witness and dated

11. The judge may refuse to hear evidence or consider any statement of any witness whose statement has not been prepared and copied to the other party and the court in accordance with the paragraphs above.

12. Neither party may rely at the hearing on any report from an expert unless permission has been granted by the court beforehand. Anyone wishing to reply on an expert must write to the court immediately on receipt on this Order and seek permission, giving an explanation of why the assistance of an expert is necessary.

13. Because this Order has been made without a hearing, the parties have the right to apply to have this order set aside, varied or stayed. A party making such an application must send or deliver the application to the court (together with any appropriate fee) to arrive within seven days of service of this Order.

Witness statements shall be included in the documents served and filed. This includes the evidence of the parties themselves, and any other person whose evidence is to be relied upon, whether or not it is intended to call them at the hearing.

The court may decide not to take account of any document or witness evidence if the document, statement or report has not been served.

The Judge has approved this case to be listed in a "back to back" small claims list. This is where a large number of cases are block listed at 10am before a number of Judges. The reason this has been done is to give you the earliest hearing date available.

Whilst this system allows us to give you an earlier date it does mean that your case might not be heard until the afternoon. Therefore please bear this in mind and keep the whole day free of other commitments.

---------------------------------------------------

I'm a little unsure about a few things and therefore seek the help of CAG please:-

a. Do a need to submit all my papers to the Court and Cabot / Cabot Solicitors since I've already done this along the way anyway?

b. The 14 days before the court date for submission of papers - is this 14 days including weekends or 14 working days?

c. Cabot have sent me nothing regarding the above yet - would the case be struck out if they send nothing?

d. Cabot should have paid the £80 court fee by now - am I entitled to ask the court if this has been paid? I'm assuming if they do not pay the fee then there is no case?

e. Cabot have still not replied to any of my requests i.e. CCA / CPR going back to March - surely this has to work against them?

Court days is getting near and I'm really anxious about it, I've held off sending any documents as requested to the court/Cabot as I was hoping to see what they had before sending my documents (if I need to?) in. I've got 3 - 4 days to submit if I'm to comply with the 14 days prior to the case, these including weekends.

Any thoughts on my queries and position?

:???:

Thanks for all your help.

Si

" I'm a little unsure about a few things and therefore seek the help of CAGicon please:-

a. Do a need to submit all my papers to the Court and Cabot / Cabot Solicitors since I've already done this along the way anyway? Yes its called standard disclosure (part of the court directions)

b. The 14 days before the court date for submission of papers - is this 14 days including weekends or 14 working days? Working days

c. Cabot have sent me nothing regarding the above yet - would the case be struck out if they send nothing? If they dont comply with standard disclosure yes it could if you push

d. Cabot should have paid the £80 court fee by now - am I entitled to ask the court if this has been paid? Yes I'm assuming if they do not pay the fee then there is no case? Not quite... if they no pay the claim is thrown out...the debt still exists

e. Cabot have still not replied to any of my requests i.e. CCA / CPR going back to March - surely this has to work against them? They dont have to until now...see your point a) above

Court days is getting near and I'm really anxious about it, I've held off sending any documents as requested to the court/Cabot as I was hoping to see what they had before sending my documents (if I need to?) in. I've got 3 - 4 days to submit if I'm to comply with the 14 days prior to the case, these including weekends.

Any thoughts on my queries and position? "

Follow the directions above to the date and comply otherwise your defence can be struck out

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks Andy.

In term so copying documents for disclosure, am I best to simply copy my whole file or correspondence from/to the Court, Cabot and MC Solicitors & that way I simply could rely on anything I needed I guess?

Since I've already sent my defence I can't see me having to add anything additional anyway.

Thanks

SJP

Disclosure from a defendants stance is minimal...but would contain any CCA/CPR request and responses...anything relied upon to support your defence and anything referred to within your witness statement (which is also part of your disclosure)

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Hi Andy,

I sent in everything I needed to and got the information to the court and Cabot / Mortimer Clarke (Cabot Solicitors) on time last week however I've received nothing from them which I thought given the court order for disclosure I should have got?

What happens if they don't comply? It is hardly fair for me to have to attend a hearing without seeing the information they should have disclosed!

Thanks

SJP

Inform the court that they have failed to comply with the courts directions and ask they impose sanctions or strike out the claim.

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I'll write to the Court, do I need to copy in the Claimant and the Claimant Solicitors?

Also, the Court suggested contact should be made to try to resolve the issue before the hearing - do I contact Cabot or their Solicitors? I want to tell the Court I've tried (even though I wont back down) in the same letter if possible?

The money they say I owe is nearly approaching SB however since they managed to get a Judgement against me last year which I got Set-Aside does this mean the SB date is another 6 years from the date of Judgement?

Thanks

SJP

Thanks Andy.

I'll write to the Court, do I need to copy in the Claimant and the Claimant Solicitors? No

Also, the Court suggested contact should be made to try to resolve the issue before the hearing - do I contact Cabot or their Solicitors? Mediation if directed I want to tell the Court I've tried (even though I wont back down) in the same letter if possible? No

The money they say I owe is nearly approaching SB however since they managed to get a Judgement against me last year which I got Set-Aside does this mean the SB date is another 6 years from the date of Judgement? No if it was set a side the clock resumed

Thanks

SJP

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Do you think this is appropriate?

"Further to the Courts instruction on the xxxx of xxxxx 2015 I am unfortunately still not in receipt of documentation from the Claimant nor the Claimant’s Solicitors.

It seems apparent, having made two separate requests for the case to be stayed that the Claimant intends to drag out the process and has little regards for Civil Procedure Rules, the Court’s time as well as my own time and the stress caused by this process.

Having ensured my documentation was received on-time by the Court, the Claimant and the Claimant’s Solicitor’s I kindly ask the Court to consider appropriate sanctions including Striking Out the Statement of Case."

Too wordy...

The claimant has failed to comply with the courts directions as ordered by DJ XXXXXXXX dated xxxxxxx.I as the defendant have served my witness statement and disclosure as per the directions and now request that the court impose sanctions on the claimant.

Hi Andy,

Sent off the letter to the Court however just received an email from Mortimer Clarke (Cabot Solicitor's) with a draft consent order. Letter says we have instructions from our client to settle this claim and therefore enclose a draft Consent Order, if willing sign within 7 days etc.

Consent Order:-

"Upon the parties having agreed terms of settlement

By Consent

It is Ordered that:-

1. The Claimant's Claim against the Defendant be dismissed.

2. The Defendant's Defence be dismissed.

3. The Claimant and Defendant will be responsible for their own costs in this action"

This cost to me has so far been:-

a. An afternoon at a hearing to get the original case Set-Aside

b. The £156 (roughly) to apply for Set-Aside

c. A lot of postage (Royal Mail Same Day & Special)

d. Time sorting documents and photocopying etc

Question:-

1. Am I likely get them to fund say the application for set-aside?

2. If I sign the document can they return at a later date?

I'm of the opinion that this is """GREAT NEWS"""" - am I missing anything?

Thanks

SJP

It is indeed great news sjp...but why they should wish to withdraw using a consent is beyond me on a small claims track claim...usually its just a notice of discontinuance.

You have to laugh at the first line " "Upon the parties having agreed terms of settlement ":wink:

I would disregard your costs....you wont get them ..and its relativity a small price to pay to dispatch this matter.

Well done.... thread title amended to reflect the outcome.

Regards

Andy

Well done sip, old Citi agreements as rare as hens teeth

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

I feel the credit goes to all who assisted in the forum thread, especially you Andy & I'd never of got to this point without your advice, many thanks for this :-)

Can I safely assume that returning the documents prevents them resurrecting the claim in future? I've only got a few months before SB kicks in anyway, this being a few months because the original Judgement stopped the SB clock until the Set-Aside.

Additionally, the Judgement still appears on my record for some reason even though it was Set-Aside - I'm guessing I need to write to the Court to remind them to action removal?

Thanks again.

SJP

I feel the credit goes to all who assisted in the forum thread, especially you Andy & I'd never of got to this point without your advice, many thanks for this :-)

Can I safely assume that returning the documents prevents them resurrecting the claim in future? Returning what documents? I've only got a few months before SB kicks in anyway, this being a few months because the original Judgement stopped the SB clock until the Set-Aside. Correct

Additionally, the Judgement still appears on my record for some reason even though it was Set-Aside - I'm guessing I need to write to the Court to remind them to action removal? Yes or check with Registry Trust

Thanks again.

SJP

Regards

Andy

Settlement by consent does not guarantee that there will be no further attempts...but it wont be from the same claimant...and Im sure it will be edging towards statute barred anyway.

Hi Andy,

Using the following dates as an example will it be Statute Barred this month or in the next 6 months?

Say original default date is 31/07/2009 with the Judgement entered 5th September 2014 and Set Aside granted 10th March 2015.

Additionally once the Statute Barred kicks in is there any way they can take action?

Sorry for the additional questions - I just need to clarify this & even though the case over the last few months has resulted in a win I'm really anxious about further issues.

Thanks

SJP

The Statute of limitations clock stopped on the issuance of the claim form (issue date) ...not the judgment....and started to re tick on the set a side date 10th March.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that. My hearing date is 24th of July and I've just range the Court to confirm I do not need to attend having the consent order in place however they are saying that the hearing is still scheduled because the Claimant has not paid some type of fee. I asked if I need to attend & was basically told that they cannot offer legal advice and attendance was my choice. A little later in the conversation she did say that the consent order was on file and whilst the hearing will still go ahead it was a paper exercise but still could not offer me advice. She did say I could drop the Court an email excusing my attendance & this would be placed on file.

What do you think?

Thanks

The fee will be the hearing fee...so in reality the hearing should be vacated...once a Consent is agreed and filed and sealed its the claimants responsibility to advise the court to vacate any hearing.Best to attend unless you are informed not to before the 24th.

Hi Andy,

After checking again, it appears that the fee not paid is the Consent application fee and therefore the Consent Order has been placed on file for the DJ to attend to in the hearing. I'm guessing that Mortimer Clarke will email their excuses across!

I guess I'm still best to go then?

Thanks

SJP