Virgin Mobile number

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3324 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Have removed some posts.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Now why didn't I think of that ?? :lol::lol:

Hmmm.... I know.. bit difficult when one's benefit has been stopped!!

Excuse the sarcasm

Seems that you want it for incoming calls only, so you may need to bear in mind :

The SIM will become invalid after a period if there has been no top-up added or text out / chargeable call made.

According to : http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

the expiry is 180 days for current PAYG plans, but only 90 days for some legacy plans

In terms of finding the number if you can't contact your friend or make an outgoing call : find someone whose phone uses the same size SIM (the VM 575 looks like it takes a standard size SIM) where that other phone DOES display the number off the SIM.

Seems that you want it for incoming calls only, so you may need to bear in mind :

The SIM will become invalid after a period if there has been no top-up added or text out / chargeable call made.

According to : http://kenstechtips.com/index.php/payg-inactivity-account-termination-and-credit-expiry

the expiry is 180 days for current PAYG plans, but only 90 days for some legacy plans

In terms of finding the number if you can't contact your friend or make an outgoing call : find someone whose phone uses the same size SIM (the VM 575 looks like it takes a standard size SIM) where that other phone DOES display the number off the SIM.

I have just checked the termination date of the account on the link and it is 180 days.

I have only had the phone since November

Edited by soulsister14

I have just checked the termination date of the account on the link and it is 180 days.

I have only had the phone since November

When you have had the phone from is less relevant than when your friend last made a call / texted or topped up the SIM, unless you have used it.

If you've used it (or the credit on it: surely you'd have got the number as your first priority?.

If not and you called / texted someone else : can you ask them?

As you have said, Virgin don't know you have it (the account is still in her name), and so, even though you may have had it since November, if you haven't reset the 180 days 'counter' ; if your friend didn't use it after 21st September, the number may already have been taken back for re-assignment by Virgin.

Do you really want to keep that (unknown) number?

As another poster suggested earlier : why not just get a new Virgin PAYG SIM.

Virign will supply you one with a new (known) number, and a top-up card ......

When you have had the phone from is less relevant than when your friend last made a call / texted or topped up the SIM, unless you have used it.

If you've used it (or the credit on it: surely you'd have got the number as your first priority?.

If not and you called / texted someone else : can you ask them?

As you have said, Virgin don't know you have it (the account is still in her name), and so, even though you may have had it since November, if you haven't reset the 180 days 'counter' ; if your friend didn't use it after 21st September, the number may already have been taken back for re-assignment by Virgin.

Do you really want to keep that (unknown) number?

As another poster suggested earlier : why not just get a new Virgin PAYG SIM.

Virign will supply you one with a new (known) number, and a top-up card ......

I have used it since she gave me it and the ONLY people I have called are her and a male friend of hers both of whom cannot be relied upon, else I would not have asked.

One would have thought that the number would be stored on the phone. but obviously not! Hence the reason for my contacting her.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

I have used it since she gave me it and the ONLY people I have called are her and a male friend of hers both of whom cannot be relied upon, else I would not have asked.

One would have thought that the number would be stored on the phone. but obviously not! Hence the reason for my contacting her.

Hope that clears up any confusion!

Some phones do make the SIM's phone number visible, others don't. Some SIMs have the number in the SIM's "contacts list", again, others don't. It isn't part of a set specification (in the way that the GSM spec stipulates that *#06# shows the IMEI).

Have you checked the contacts list in case it is in their (either from Virgin themselves, or the previous owner might have saved her own number......).

Again, though, if there is no credit on there and you don't know the number : getting a new SIM may be the quickest / easiest option?

Do you really need to keep a number that you don't know?.