style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2455 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

i really need some good advice on what to do.

i was silly and made a mistake about settling up my council tax and stuck my head in the sand.

I got two enforcement arrangements made and passed over to jacobs.

i set up a payment plan with them which was more than i could afford.

they were supposed to take payment every month.

I'm not someone who regularly check my bank statements and didn't know the payments had not come out.

they said they sent me a letter but i never got one or a phone call.

I came home and found a letter in my door saying if i don't pay in 24 hours,

that they were going to take my possessions.

the debt is for 1700 and i simply don't have the money,

i live barely hand to mouth as it is and struggle all the time.

it says that if i don't pay in full within 24 hours they will take everything.

i have hardly anything of value and the letter even says they will take things even if i am not there.

what am i supposed to do?

what can i do?

jacobs head office says everything is in the hands of the enforcement agent now

and they can't/won't re instate the plan with me and its at the sole discretion of the bailiff.

what do i do?

i have a car i use to get to work,

i live in a somewhat remotes area and without it i couldn't get to work.

i won't let them in at all but they say they can come in without me there!

i tried calling the bailiff but got no answer other than to leave my name, number and postcode and he will get back to me.

do i need to stay home to make sure he won't come in?

i know i was stupid but i tried to fix it but i don't know what to do.

i live in a rented flat with my partner and we really struggle financially.

do they have to agree to a payment plan?

:| please give me some advice, please.

Can you please scan in the letter - remove any personal information.. name, address, etc.. and post it up for us to see ?

I am sure someone will be able to advise.. hang in there :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Can you please scan in the letter - remove any personal information.. name, address, etc.. and post it up for us to see ?

I am sure someone will be able to advise.. hang in there :)

Thankyou!

here they are

are these better?

can you please convert to pdf format? They are too tiny to read :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There is no right of entry for the bailiffs

No locksmith

Only entry by unlocked door

The only goods they could take in your absance if door was locked would be items outside

Anything of value mainly car caravan ect

What year is this for

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

It's for the year of 2014

There's a liability orders. This is the first notice the have given me. No other correspondance at all.

Do they have to give me a notice of enforccement or anything like the citizens advice beureau says?

There would have to be a liability order against you for bailiffs to be acting on it

Millions of those are issued each year you are not alone

Did you recive any letters from the council or court summons on council paper?

Once they get the liability orders many councils pass them straight to bailiffs

Did you then recive a letter from the bailiffs then you set up payment plan?

If that payment arrangement is broken no further letters will be sent just a enforcement officer

Along with fees

I dint get any summons at all.

First I new about it was when Jacobs contacted me.

I am wondering where all my post has been going!

I set up the payment plan and everything carried on as usual.

I got no letters whatsoever regarding the plan at all.

I heard nothing from them it's like I didn't exist and now these people are calling.

The bailiff didn't answer his phone.

Do they have to accept a payment plan?

Well if that is the case you need to take this up direct with the council as a formal complaint

Copy in local mp and councillor's

They don't have to accept a payment plan but if they have no access to your property and have nothing outside to levy on

They either accept what you offer or pass it back to the council for further enforcement

Keep your car well away from your property, Jacobs WILL clamp it, they would clamp it if it was only worth 50 quid to try to pressure you, if no previous correspondence then Formal Complaint as per I hate bailiffs. Jacobs are the sort of people who would clamp the scrap Avenger in Onslow's (Bucket Woman's Brother in Law) garden in Keeping Up Appearancesif it had wheels on it

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I will do my best to do so.

I need my car for work but it's in the middle of nowhere so there's no where's else to park.

I'm going to email the council anyway as according to the information they have sent me,

the got one liability order for 400,

then a month later got one for a whole years council tax up front.

Seems a little extreme.

nope sadly they can do that if you don't pay. [levy for the whole year.]

don't forget the new one is starting in two weeks too!

is you car parked on private property, can you garage it?

so you have only paid £400? on 2014-15 years bill? and the total owed by 1st april is £1700?

how did you get so far behind?

drop all your other non priority debts down to £1PCM [phones/cards/loans/etc etc]

CTAX is as important as rent!

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

You say that you had set up a payment arrangement with Jacobs Ltd but that an error had been made somewhere along the line with the effect being that no payments were actually made and now personal visits have bee made. It is important to ascertain what charges have been applied to EACH account to date. Can you call Jacobs in the morning for this information and post back.

All bailiffs are getting pretty tough on enforcing debts at this moment in time given that they are under intense pressure to meet targets set by local authorities and courts to get as much revenue collected by the 'year end' date of 6th April.

When i first moved into the flat, I had a job working for a company earning a decent salary. Set everything up as usual.

My boss at the time who it turns out was a lunatic, decided to half my salary and when i put a grievance in he beat me up and kicked me out of the office. he was shouting swearing, and threw me into a desk and into a tv and attempted to steal my phone as i was using it to record him. He stole my keys and held them as ransom for the recording so i couldn't get home. when i said i was going to call the police he gave them back to me. It went to the police who dealt with it properly but the day before the trial the CPS dropped the case due to insufficient evidence, with no explanation even though there was a recording and a witness to it. I lost everything and he never paid me any money and it really screwed us over.

My gf was living with her mum but her mum was a foster carer and was looking after an abuse 17 steroid head who stole from her constantly and made treats of physical abuse. The police did nothing again. which is why we got the flat in the first place.

When i got the first letter from jacobs, i made an offer to sort it out of 100 a month and made the first payment, which apparantly had to be more than i could afford and he knew it.

Set up the payment plan and they were going to take the money every month, or so i thought.

They took no further money and i heard nothing further from them at all. Then i get the bailiff letter last night. They told me they sent me letters but i didnt get any summons, any letters of enforcement, nothing. I will find out what charges have been added.

It is important to be aware that the bailiff only has a right of peaceful entry which is almost always by way of invite. There is no legal right to allow the bailiff into the home and as long as you do not have a car available the bailiff would have little option other than to accept a sensible payment proposal.

How much roughly is the car worth?

According to the CAB's website and the new rules which came in April 2014, they cannot take your vehicle if there is no public transport, or if it is on finance, unless it is worth more than a certain amount. You should have a look. I had a very aggressive and rude man turn up on Wednesday who answered every suggestion I made with you've got till Friday. I told him I didn't have the money and wouldn't have it Friday either, but still that is all he would say. Don't be intimidated. I also learned that they cannot take your vehicle if it is displaying a disabled badge, which mine is. Hide your car, lock your doors and ignore them.

I will do my best to do so.

I need my car for work but it's in the middle of nowhere so there's no where's else to park.

I'm going to email the council anyway as according to the information they have sent me,

the got one liability order for 400,

then a month later got one for a whole years council tax up front.

Seems a little extreme.

That is OK Margaret as long as the OP realises that while your method would eventually result in the debt being returned, and thus EA fees dying, the original debt would still obviously be outstanding. They can either pay the council directly now, but this may well result in money going to the bailiffs if the council follows correct procedures, or they can put the money to one side (don't spend it!) and pay to the council when the debt is finally returned. The latter is clearly a better option. The remainder would then have to be paid at an affordable rate. Councils can, and do extend repayments into the next tax year - they just prefer not to.

There still remain important questions to be answered about the process though, and personally I'd be wanting to address these.

That is OK Margaret as long as the OP realises that while your method would eventually result in the debt being returned, and thus EA fees dying, the original debt would still obviously be outstanding. They can either pay the council directly now, but this may well result in money going to the bailiffs if the council follows correct procedures, or they can put the money to one side (don't spend it!) and pay to the council when the debt is finally returned. The latter is clearly a better option. The remainder would then have to be paid at an affordable rate. Councils can, and do extend repayments into the next tax year

I wasn't suggesting the OP ignore the debt completely, but he/she seemed to be worried that the house would be broken into by these people while they were out. I have written to the council with an offer for repayments, but trying to discuss anything with the ignoramus who hammered on the door was not possible. He was like a parrot who had learned one phrase: you've got till Friday. It is better to know your rights so that you can move forward on that basis.

Edited by citizenB
restored quote box

I wasn't suggesting the OP ignore the debt completely, but he/she seemed to be worried that the house would be broken into by these people while they were out. I have written to the council with an offer for repayments, but trying to discuss anything with the ignoramus who hammered on the door was not possible. He was like a parrot who had learned one phrase: you've got till Friday. It is better to know your rights so that you can move forward on that basis.

I realise that! :-) EA's are under pressure to get agreements, but everyone should be advised they do not have to let these people in, and as long as they don't let them take control of any external goods (usually a vehicle), there is little the EA can do. It's best they have the full picture to avoid confusion - a great danger with forums as a poster posts one thing, and someone reads it a different way. I'm pretty sure we're in agreement! :wink: