Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • I was at court today with a Similar offence - 68 in a variable 40...M62.   I originally Phoned the police camera dept and asked for camera proof including gantry signs showing 40...they sent them and it showed the 40 and my vehicle.   I pleaded guilty, and asked for the single justice procedure thingy.   Came back with possible short term  disqualification, with option for hearing to plead against etc. I asked for a hearing   Finally 11 months after the offence, hearing came through.   Arrived at court, finally was called in.   Offence read out etc and then I had a chance to put forward orally my personal mitigation etc. (Remorse, I was stupid, wont do it again,  need license for work as live in rural area etc, first offence, good character standing)   Today the magistrates were kind...6 points and a fine...something like £450 plus £85 costs (cant remember the exact amount but was around £535 if greatly different will repost.  Have 14 days to pay, they will send me the amount etc.   I feel very lucky today, could have been worse.  Good luck with your case.  
    • I should have added the above links are for  landlines and mobiles there are plenty of free and paid for apps android and iphones to block calls.
    • Hi I got a tent from go outdoors,   over £1000 for tent porch carpet  and footprint and it was faulty, so they exchanged it, it was only 2 weeks old,  so I got another tent tht to was faulty, I have pictures of the faults,  but this time they weren't happy to exchange but they did,  then I got a vanguard 8 ,  and when we were on holiday the rain was coming through the material of the tent, holes in the stitching and the zip kepted breaking, so 2 days into our holiday we came home to change the tent and go back and finish our holiday,  but they refused, this tent was only9 days old.  So we left the store phoned head office and they said "go back to store and give them another chance to sorte this out!"  So we did and the manger was worse this time, to ring head office he didn't want to. I have a proof of a call from head office for 40mins and the manager was implying to head office I was lying about a phone call  and head office have on record of them phoning me , the manager asked me to leave the store or he will phone the police   so I told him to get the police,   while waiting for the police  a customer was returning a tent and when asked from the store what's wrong with it, they said""nothing it's to hard to put away"  so asked the manager how is tht right when my tent is faulty and u wont exchange,   he told the police I was threatening a customer,  I never spoke to the customer, I also told them I am autistic,   The manager lied to the police and the police attuided to me was horrendous and I told them  repeatedly told I was autistic,   I have video evidence of my arrest,  What are my legal rights to a new tent,  any help will be greatly appreciated thank u,   am also dyslexic,  sorry if some of this doesn't make sense ,  I've loads more to tell on this whole situation xx I was arrested for not leaving the store until I had a resolution  All the tents where hi gear  Also I told the manager tht we where on holiday to rest as we've just had 4 weeks of hell with my daughter as shes now in hospital safe,  so we went away for 5 days knowing she was safe ,  and why woul we come home early and try to change a faulty tent,  and go back to our holiday if it wasn't faulty they weren't interested   I've been having meltdowns really bad this x  Also I was released from the police 2hrs later WITHOUT  been Interviewed and NO CHARGES I've had a email today saying because of my being banned from the store I can have a refund   I've sent them emails asking questions and they will answer the email but wont answer my questions and now they saying as a good will gesture they will refund me  But I only have until friday which is 1 day to accept the return and if I dont they will not refund me  And am so distressed ,  Am I right the if a item is faulty you have 28 days to a full refund 
    • Thanks dx I did read these post but wasn’t sure if they ended well.   I suppose it depends on how nervous it would make the buyer, and if their solicitor was happy to play ball.
    • the 120 days runs from when he discovered he could use chargeback. that must be within 540 days of the relevant card transaction. sadly halifax are useless everytime over chargeback  and never get things right.
  • Our picks

    • @curryspcworld @TeamKnowhowUK - Samsung 75 8K TV - completely broken by Currys. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426151-samsung-75-8k-tv-completely-broken-by-currys/&do=findComment&comment=5069075
      • 4 replies
    • @skinnyfoodco Skinny Foods. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/426130-skinny-foods/&do=findComment&comment=5068996
      • 8 replies
    • I’m in desperate need of help
      I bought some clothes online in may through Evans and paid through PayPal
      returned them all seven days later
      I waited the 14days for my refund and no refund came
      I put in a dispute through PayPal but I didn’t get any emails to escalate the case - PayPal closed it. 
      evans said they couldn’t refund the money because PayPal have cancelled the refund because of the open dispute
      I contacted PayPal
      they said the dispute had been closed but Evans at no point had attempted a refund.
      fast forward to today
      I’ve got copies of numerous messages sent to and from twitter messages as it’s the only way I can contact them
      I’ve also contacted their customer service too
      all I get is PayPal have cancelled refund because dispute is still open.
      I have proved that the dispute is closed
      I have got an email saying that if Evans sent the refund they would accept it
      but up until the date I got the email they have not once attempted a refund .
       I have sent them a letter before court email
      I have even offered to have the full refund as a gift card just to get this sorted !
      I’m literally at the end of my tether and don’t know where to turn next !
      i suffer with mental health issues and this is affecting my health and I’d saved the money for a year to buy these clothes as I’m on a low income .
    • In desperate need of help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/425244-in-desperate-need-of-help/&do=findComment&comment=5067040
      • 29 replies

buying council house with a loan from dad, who may end up in care home

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2018 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

Not sure if this is the right forum or not for this one, but here it is.


My dad has offered me an interest free loan to buy my council flat, which is all good, and everyone is happy to go ahead with it.


The problem i have is, within the next five years, he may well end up in a care home, which means his assets will be taken to pay for it.

Does anyone know, as the loan will count as an asset, if i can be forced to pay back, or sell, to pay the bills, or would the terms of the loan still hold, but just be transferred to the local authority paying for the care home?


I have asked my solicitor, they told me to ask the council, who then told me they dont know, or know who to ask.

question everything!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will try and find someone to help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **


Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first


1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read





2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS


Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.



Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer is probbaly in here - the government's statutory guidance to Local Authorities on care home financial assessments - but it gives me a headache just looking at the contents page so I'm not surprised the council couldn't work it out.



Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I can't answer your questions. However, I suggest an alternative scenario since this is a 0% APR loan from your father.


If your father decided to give this money to you as a gift, then below link is worth reading.




Any private arrangements for repayment on the 'gift' should surely be between you and your father, - so this will negate any future problems since the gift can not be counted as an asset?

Link to post
Share on other sites

izzitme, I think you're right to research this. I don't claim to be an expert on care home fees and local authorities, but I can see that your father disposing of his capital to you, even as a loan, could be a problem. The thing that local authorities don't like is Deprivation of Capital, so you need to know if this loan would come under that.



Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites

from the little info i have gathered, im pretty sure it would be,

and i dont have a problem paying back every penny of it.

What i need to know is if the local authority would be able to change the terms of the loan

to make me pay it back quicker than the agreement states.

Main reason being, if they can, and im forced to sell within five years, i lose the discount, and the whole exercise would have been pointless.

I think ill speak to my union rep at work this week, and see if he can find anything out.

question everything!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think your problem could be that the local authority, if they decide it's deprivation of capital, could treat your Dad as if he still has the money and cut back what they pay for his care.



Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites
i have looked at that, and he isnt expected to be alive for another seven years unfortunately :(


the link i gave earlier says:


The estate doesn’t pay Inheritance Tax on up to £3,000 worth of gifts given away by the deceased in each tax year (6 April to 5 April). This is called the ‘annual exemption’.
So... you want to buy your home, your father could gift £3,000 before 5th April and another £3,000 after - so this is split up into 2 financial years.


This gives you a total of £6,000 which you are exempt from paying the money back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't sound to me like this is really a 'loan'. If it is a loan you would need to be able to clearly explain what the requirements for repayment are. I think this is more likely to be treated as a gift, and there is guidance on that at http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/advice/practice-notes/gifts-of-assets/ and http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Documents/EN-GB/Factsheets/FS40_deprivation_of_assets_in_the_means_test_for_care_home_provision_fcs.pdf?dtrk=true.


My understanding is that the local authority would find it difficult to force the money to be repaid after six months. However, if they take the view that the purpose of the gift/loan was to deprive your father of assets, they could count it towards your dad's capital in which case the authority would still have to provide care but he would end up being liable for the charges. If there is no immediate prospect of dad entering care it would probably be quite difficult for the authority to show that the arrangement was done to avoid care charges.


Also just to point out that loan repayments are often treated as income and not capital.


The only person who can properly advise you on this would be a solicitor. I don't think an IFA or your union can give you a clear answer. If your solicitor doesn't know the answer you could ask a solicitor who practices in this area who should know their way around the very detailed regulations.




Link to post
Share on other sites

it will be a loan, and i will be required to pay it all back to.

we are working on terms that are reasonable to both of us at the moment,

and of course, it will all go through the solicitors to.

I am trying to find one, seems a rare breed though :O

question everything!

Link to post
Share on other sites

ahh thats what im looking for.

well i called union solicitors already, theyll get back to me in the next couple of days, ill keep this updated :)

will see if i can get some basic advice before then though :)

question everything!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...