Got caught stealing at boots and sent to custody police

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2804 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi everyone

i need help badly.

a few days ago i was caught stealing at boots and

the security guard lead me to their security room. inside,

there is one female boots staff and another security guard from the shopping mall.

total three of them.

the security guard from boots asked me to take out whatever stuff i have stolen

i did as told as i was too afraid.

later on, he asked for my id and name and home address which i gave as well

issued me with an RPL form.

the amount i have stolen was £220

i know its so stupid

i stole 4/5 perfumes thats why the amount is expensive.

he called the police

police came and searched my bag

found another item i had stolen from another stall.

i cant lie because the tag is still on and i have no receipt.

the police took me to custody at police station.

first all my items are being emptied from my bag and jacket and all

the police found another item in my jacket which i totally forgot about it

i was so scared i keep begging her but no use

i was asked if i need a solicitor

the police and the surgeon kept saying whether or not i have the surgeon decision is not going to change.

i told them i dont need which i regret after i come back home

i was asked questions by the surgeon and lead to a cell room which i was lock.

after an hour or so the police come and told me they are going to my house and check my room

and state this is always the case for stealing.

i was so worried

another hour has pass in the cell room and finally she is back

she said my room doesnt look suspicious and she commented i always have tea in room?

later on she interview me with a recording and then ask me lots questions.

i admitted of stealing at two stores

afterwards, my dna and photo (front and side views) as well as my finger prints are all taken and recorded

i was told by the surgeon that my case will be a caution (is that called caution?)

and i can go home.

no action will be taken and the polices just told me not to do silly things anymore

and they say i might receive letter from boots thats all.

i assume that will be the RPL lettter?

im so scared:

will my housemates know what letter that is?

is there any sign showing that letter is from RPL?

also, will i be fine??? btw im above 20 years old.

I need help people.

i couldnt sleep for nights and keep having bad dream about it.

what shall i do. someone help me please

Edited by dx100uk
made the post more readable - dx

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore RLP. Completely. forever.

The police were involved and they are the ones to issue penalties. Not RLP. No matter what RLP say, they cant and wont do anything. Jackie ( the woman who runs rlp) knows this, and will try anything she can to get you to pay.

There is NOTHING on the letter that relates to RLP. They also wont tell anyone about it as they would be in breach of the DPA.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

moved to the RLP forum

read a few threads here

you'll soon get the idea!

totally IGNORE RLP and ANYTHING in relation to them.

they have NO LEGAL POWERS WHATSOEVER.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi everyone

i need help badly.

a few days ago i was caught stealing at boots and

the security guard lead me to their security room. inside,

there is one female boots staff and another security guard from the shopping mall.

total three of them.

the security guard from boots asked me to take out whatever stuff i have stolen

i did as told as i was too afraid.

later on, he asked for my id and name and home address which i gave as well

issued me with an RPL form.

the amount i have stolen was £220

i know its so stupid

i stole 4/5 perfumes thats why the amount is expensive.

he called the police

police came and searched my bag

found another item i had stolen from another stall.

i cant lie because the tag is still on and i have no receipt.

the police took me to custody at police station.

first all my items are being emptied from my bag and jacket and all

the police found another item in my jacket which i totally forgot about it

i was so scared i keep begging her but no use

i was asked if i need a solicitor

the police and the surgeon kept saying whether or not i have the surgeon decision is not going to change.

i told them i dont need which i regret after i come back home

i was asked questions by the surgeon and lead to a cell room which i was lock.

after an hour or so the police come and told me they are going to my house and check my room

and state this is always the case for stealing.

i was so worried

another hour has pass in the cell room and finally she is back

she said my room doesnt look suspicious and she commented i always have tea in room?

later on she interview me with a recording and then ask me lots questions.

i admitted of stealing at two stores

afterwards, my dna and photo (front and side views) as well as my finger prints are all taken and recorded

i was told by the surgeon that my case will be a caution (is that called caution?)

and i can go home.

no action will be taken and the polices just told me not to do silly things anymore

and they say i might receive letter from boots thats all.

i assume that will be the RPL lettter?

im so scared:

will my housemates know what letter that is?

is there any sign showing that letter is from RPL?

also, will i be fine??? btw im above 20 years old.

I need help people.

i couldnt sleep for nights and keep having bad dream about it.

what shall i do. someone help me please

1) was this in England/Wales?

2) who was the "surgeon"? A medical professional (FME : Force Medical Examiner)? Or a sergeant rather than a surgeon??

3) Did you have to sign the caution ("i was told by the surgeon that my case would by a caution") you were given?

I suggest he means solicitor

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I suggest he means solicitor

dx

I took

"i was asked if i need a solicitor

i told them i dont need which i regret after i come back home" to mean they had declined the offer of a solicitor ......

There is NOTHING on the letter that relates to RLP. They also wont tell anyone about it as they would be in breach of the DPA.

Hi and welcome to CAG. I have quoted the bit above because RLP seem to have changed tactics. There is a thread on here where another CAGger got a letter which was franked and within the body of the franking mark were the words 'Retail Loss Prevention'

I am of the opinion that this is a deliberate tactic by RLP to shame the shoplifter into paying so the letters stop. I am unaware of who to contact regarding this as yet but the ICO seems to be the first port of call for clarification.

As for the leaflet Boots security gave you, it is full of bovine excrement (read as bulls**t) Only the first part has any merit, the rest is totally non claimable.

The wise cause of action is to ignore them and keep an eagle eye out for letters for the next year.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

If that's true, and I don't doubt it, Jackie really needs bringing down with a nice hard bump.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

This is it[ATTACH=CONFIG]56545[/ATTACH]

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Hi Renega, thank you for replying me. I read alot about ignoring the letter but shall I really do? how many letters will they be sending? im so worry as my housemates will most likely see the letter envelope :(

hi Dx, thank you. erhm, i read but i realise the amount i have stolen is considered quite big isnt it??? im just afraid of the damn letters that threatened people and also im not from UK and im under visa. idw anything to happen to me

hi Bazasss,

1.yes.its in england.

2.oops its sergeant. he asked me lots questions and took details of me.

3. i signed :( now i regret as i dont know if i supposed to cause i didnt request for solicitor ):

and i can tell you im under the police record and i was told this will affect my visa applications to countries like USA and Australia ):

hi silver,

so do you mean i should contact the ICO?

people has been saying the RLP will keep sending letters and letters

will worried me as im not living alone and living with other people.

now i come to think about it i shouldnt have given my address to security guard

I really wouldn't worry about any letters RLP might send.

You have been dealt with by the police, so that is the end of it.

If you do receive anything from RLP, then you can ignore them, I wouldn't worry too much about your flat mates knowing what RLP means.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

hi Bazasss,

1.yes.its in england.

2.oops its sergeant. he asked me lots questions and took details of me.

3. i signed :( now i regret as i dont know if i supposed to cause i didnt request for solicitor ):

and i can tell you im under the police record and i was told this will affect my visa applications to countries like USA and Australia ):

If you had to sign the caution, and signed that you accepted your guilt, then the caution acts the same as a conviction (excepting there is no penalty such as a fine or prison) : so, you have a criminal record now.

This is why it affects e.g. Immigration to USA (you can no longer use the 'Visa Waiver'), and you must disclose it to employers if asked, until it is 'spent' ; for some jobs you'd need to disclose it even after it is spent.

Ignore RLP. As other advise, there isn't anything to fear from them.

I suspect the conviction (since that is the effect accepting the caution has) will have more impact on you.

You say you wish you'd spoken to a solicitor, but would the solicitor have said anything other than "if they offer you a caution, take it" : it sounds from what you have posted that if you had declined the caution they wouldn't have had much trouble securing a conviction if they decided to take it to court.

Does your job require a clear DBS? Are you subject to (e.g. immigration controls) anything where a conviction may cause you difficulties? I see you have also posted:

hi Dx, thank you. erhm, i read but i realise the amount i have stolen is considered quite big isnt it??? im just afraid of the damn letters that threatened people and also im not from UK and im under visa. idw anything to happen to me

If you are in the UK under a Visa it is open to being revoked (unlikely : but theoretically possible), but it is much more likely you being refused readmission to the UK on your current visa, or refused renewal of your current visa.

What Tier / Category is your UK Visa?.

RLP should be the least of your concerns.

Ignore RLP completely. Treat them as if they never even contacted you in the first place. They cannot do anything to you, and their letters will try and make out they can. They are lying. Infact, they are borderline fraud. However they can use the excuse they are acting under instruction of the shop to send letters.

If you had to sign the caution, and signed that you accepted your guilt, then the caution acts the same as a conviction (excepting there is no penalty such as a fine or prison) : so, you have a criminal record now.

This is why it affects e.g. Immigration to USA (you can no longer use the 'Visa Waiver'), and you must disclose it to employers if asked, until it is 'spent' ; for some jobs you'd need to disclose it even after it is spent.

Ignore RLP. As other advise, there isn't anything to fear from them.

I suspect the conviction (since that is the effect accepting the caution has) will have more impact on you.

You say you wish you'd spoken to a solicitor, but would the solicitor have said anything other than "if they offer you a caution, take it" : it sounds from what you have posted that if you had declined the caution they wouldn't have had much trouble securing a conviction if they decided to take it to court.

Does your job require a clear DBS? Are you subject to (e.g. immigration controls) anything where a conviction may cause you difficulties? I see you have also posted:

If you are in the UK under a Visa it is open to being revoked (unlikely : but theoretically possible), but it is much more likely you being refused readmission to the UK on your current visa, or refused renewal of your current visa.

What Tier / Category is your UK Visa?.

RLP should be the least of your concerns.

hi bazzasss, im carrying the general tier 4 visa and i will be going to home country during the summer holidaaay. will i still be able to re-enter uk under my visa? ):

also, did you mean even if i ask for a solicitor, i will still get a caution? is this always the case? im so regret now. i wasnt thinking properly and i was so scared to be in the police station, so i thought the fastest way is to plead guilty. is there anyway back? like undo the caution? shall i still see a solicitor now? ):

hi bazzasss, im carrying the general tier 4 visa and i will be going to home country during the summer holidaaay. will i still be able to re-enter uk under my visa? ): :

Paragraph 320(18A) of the immigration rules applies.

You don't face a mandatory refusal (like someone would if they had a conviction where they had been given a prison sentence of 5 years or more), but you face a "discretionary refusal" : it is up to the entry clearance officer (ECO) at the border.

Paragraph 320(18A)

You must consider refusing an applicant under paragraph 320(18A) if within the 12 months before the date the application is decided, have been convicted of or admitted an offence for which they received a non-custodial sentence or other out of court disposal that is recorded on their criminal record..

also, did you mean even if i ask for a solicitor, i will still get a caution? is this always the case? im so regret now. i wasnt thinking properly and i was so scared to be in the police station, so i thought the fastest way is to plead guilty. is there anyway back? like undo the caution? shall i still see a solicitor now? ):

I'd certainly suggest getting legal advice, from a solicitor versed in both criminal & immigration law.

I don't know if you can get a caution "reversed", but even if you did, wouldn't they just take you to court : if they can show you were guilty you'd just be swapping a caution for a conviction where you would then get a worse penalty. They appear to have a strong case : they'd have the testimony of the security guards & the other stolen property found on you .....

If someone has been sentenced to a prison sentence, refusal of entry clearance becomes mandatory rather than discretionary (for a period that is dependant on the duration of the prison sentence)......

One of the sources the ECO "must" check is the Police National Computer. This WILL show your caution (unless an administrative error has been made.....)

If you were considering trying to conceal your caution by not disclosing it when asked: the hazard is that if this is noted : mandatory refusal (and a significant exclusion period from the UK) for a "false statement".

It has just occurred to me. You keep expressing regret for not getting a solicitor, but I'm not sure a solicitor could have dramatically affected the outcome.

You are here on a student visa, which requires you (not only to study) but to have sufficient funds to support yourself.

You haven't expressed any regret for stealing.

CAG doesn't allow judgemental posts, so the above comments are factual. Would it be fair to say the underlying issue facing you is not that you didn't ask for a solicitor, but that you stole (& got caught) - what do you think you should regret?

• Haha 1

I agree with Bazza. You accepted the least possible punishment for your crime. If you had refused the caution, the evidence from Boots would have been enough to convict (in my opinion) and the punishment would have been much worse because you would have refused the caution. The wasting of court time instead of taking the bitter pill is heavily frowned on so the court 'may' take that into account.

The fact is, you accepted the caution and when it comes time to renew your visa, be upfront and totally honest about this. Being open about what you did with a reasonable explanation as to why you did it will go a long way in assisting your application.

I think that if you visited a criminal solicitor and asked the same question, he/she would give the same responses we have. At the moment, there is no more you can do regarding the criminal element. Deal with the after effects when and if they occur.

Now is the time to be dealing with RLP. When the letters arrive, come back and we can assist with them.

I agree with Bazza. You accepted the least possible punishment for your crime. If you had refused the caution, the evidence from Boots would have been enough to convict (in my opinion) and the punishment would have been much worse because you would have refused the caution. The wasting of court time instead of taking the bitter pill is heavily frowned on so the court 'may' take that into account.

The fact is, you accepted the caution and when it comes time to renew your visa, be upfront and totally honest about this. Being open about what you did with a reasonable explanation as to why you did it will go a long way in assisting your application.

I think that if you visited a criminal solicitor and asked the same question, he/she would give the same responses we have. At the moment, there is no more you can do regarding the criminal element. Deal with the after effects when and if they occur.

Now is the time to be dealing with RLP. When the letters arrive, come back and we can assist with them.

It isn't just at renewal of visa (although that is a potential future hurdle). The OP's Tier 4 Visa will still be in existence when they return to the UK, but they MAY be refused entry clearance even with that existing visa, based on the change in circumstances (the caution). It is at the discretion of the Entry Clearance Officer.

I think the only thing the OP can do is to be honest with the Entry Clearance Officer when they seek re-entry into the UK. Or perhaps try to speak to UKBA about what is likely to happen, so they can make preparations accordingly.

To be honest, if you steal something of that value whilst on a student visa (and thus a guest in this country) then there have to be consequences for that criminal action. Much better - in my view - to see the authorities doing due process than to have the likes of RLP dishing out their saloon bar justice.

• Haha 1

I think the only thing the OP can do is to be honest with the Entry Clearance Officer when they seek re-entry into the UK. Or perhaps try to speak to UKBA about what is likely to happen, so they can make preparations accordingly.

To be honest, if you steal something of that value whilst on a student visa (and thus a guest in this country) then there have to be consequences for that criminal action. Much better - in my view - to see the authorities doing due process than to have the likes of RLP dishing out their saloon bar justice.

+1

yeah I agree with bazzaa too and youre right. i need to deal the RLP now. (although i hope there wont be a letter which im afraid it wont be the case). ill come back to you guys when the letter arrives.

i appreciate all of your help, really. it means a lot to me especially when i have no one to turn to now.

thank you everyone