Sick Note

Dan27
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My current sick note runs out on Tuesday 17th which was signed from the doctor. I am right in thinking the DWP always give you a weeks grace and would therefore put expiry at 23rd. I am due at my local Job Centre on Monday 16th to see my ESA adviser. Do you think its wise to order a sick note on Thursday 12th to be able to take to the Job Centre on the 16th. I don't always have to see doctor to get note it can be signed then left at reception after a request has been made. Usually takes 24 hours. Or should I wait till I receive a letter saying my sick note is about to run out please return another sick note by the 23rd(more than likely date). I am due to get paid on the 17th and 31st March then on into April 14th. I may then be in the same dilemma next month as would run out on 12th or 18th to DWP in April if give 7 days grace. My doctor gave me a note for a month last time and did say on the note he would not require to see me to issue the next one or however it explains it on the note.

I believe that when the (un)fit note runs out, it runs out. There is no 'grace' period. And do not rely on the DWP to advise you when to send in a new one.

I always sent off a new note at least 7 days before the last one was due to expire. Put the date in your diary or on a calendar. It doesn't matter if you send them in before the current one reaches it's expiry date. The key thing to remember is no note, no money.

Thanks I shall put a request for one in tomorrow by telephoning my surgery. Probably more than likely fax it through to them at the Job Centre on the 16th when i go for my appointment there

Good thing phoned today because doctor has requested to see me before issuing note. Got to phone surgery on Monday now to see if I can get a appointment as there was none available today.

It might be prudent to remind your GP that until you are awarded ESA you'll be requesting repeat (un)fit notes (as long as you are ill, of course) as that is a requirement of the assessment phase. Whilst my case was extreme, I ended up having to send them in for 4 years.

I am ill and will mention about my claim for ESA. I think my doctor wants to see me, to see how I am progressing along. The conditions I am claiming for may improve over time. Although at the moment I struggle to be able to work with it. This may improve over time.

Good thing phoned today because doctor has requested to see me before issuing note.

I don't know if every surgery does this; but I remember my old surgery said I had to see the GP before they can issue a sick note.

Think at my surgery depends on what's wrong with you. I know you have to see particular doctor or it has be checked with him.

before note can be issued. You can request one but he may request to see you.

All went well and doctor gave me another note to cover me till the 13th April. I shall book another appointment on this date tomorrow so that can be reassessed then and see how I am progressing.

Try and get an appointment for a week before. You need to allow time for the note to be posted, received and processed before the 13th of April if you don't want to risk a break in payments.

I will do the only thing is a payday falls on the 14th which probably be ok for this month but subsequent months may suffer. Unless I just go by every time I get issued a note from the doctor.

I have booked my next appointment for the 14th April. My problem is whether I see the doctor, I tend to get quite anxious and nervous. Don't feel relaxed and able to tell the doctor truly how I'm feeling or what I may be ill with. Therefore he probably struggles to give a proper diagnosis. The last time I went he said I will give you another month and then we will look at getting you available for work then. I'm not sure whether I will feel ready then. I need to express these feelings to him but struggle to express how I truly feel so he can give me a proper diagnosis. Anybody got any advice with overcoming this please.

I was about to suggest that, hb. If you know which doctor you're seeing, you can always write your feelings down, put the letter in an envelope, mark it private for his / her attention and then hand it in at the surgery a few days or so before your appointment. that way he / she would have read it before you go in and all your appointment time will be for your benefit. I did this, oh, probably about seven years ago with a subject I knew would be difficult for me to broach with my GP initially. Worked perfectly.

:A Note to the Doctor:

Yes, this can work a treat. My notes strategy started when the list of prescription items I needed got too long to remember. Then it evolved from a list of what I wanted to talk about, so I didn't forget anything, into a short statement of what I wanted to ask/say. Don't do it for every visit, just multi issue ones. Or the complexities that arise from discharging oneself from hospital, or following a row with a consultant. (The two weren't connected.) :-)

Actually this strategy works for hospital apointments as well, especially if you get a different face every time. Saves lots of ums, errs, and at least twenty questions. Just ask the receptionist to add your letter, notes, statement to your file. At the doctor's I just hand what I've written to the doctor and sit there while she reads it.

Margaret.

• 4 months later...

My next appointment is 25th August at 7pm. I am considering discharging myself from the psychologist as Im coping with my anxiety much better, this has been on my note for the pst three months. I was given a two month note by a different doctor last time. I do still have other problems which hinder me working. I did put basically all of them on my ESA50 form just after claiming. One of those other problems will have to go on note if I don't rebook the psychologist. Shall I just book the psychologist again and get a note for my anxiety again. I don't want to be refused a fit note as it would mean going a month without money because I'd have to go onto universal credit (JSA).

If you're capable of working then you go onto UC/JSA - it's not acceptable to draw things out just to claim esa - it's called fraud.

On the other hand, if your other conditions genuinely prevent you from working, and your doctor agrees, then these should go on the med cert.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop