LynnA25

Interest-only mortgage expired

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1708 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I'm hoping that someone will be able to help me as I'm feeling absolutely desperate.

Our interest-only mortgage with GE Money was due to expire in May 2014.

However, in September 2013, my husband was involved in a road traffic accident and sustained brain injury.

Since then he has been unable to return to full-time employment.

I wrote to GE Money before the expiry date, explaining our situation and requesting that they extend the mortgage term for another year

until our situation improved and we were able to approach another company to re-mortgage.

Despite providing them with medical evidence, they rejected this offer.

In early October 2014, they sent a letter informing me that they would take legal action to recover the £190,000 outstanding (our property is worth around £270,000).

I phoned them, once again reiterating that we had kept the mortgage payments up-to-date and that once I had a full-time job,

I would seek a remortgage with another company.

They said they would consider this, but make no promises.

On Saturday this week, however, we received a letter from their solicitors (Eversheds) informing us that they have been asked to represent GE Money

and that we will shortly be notified of a court date.

My husband has suffered with anxiety and memory problems since the accident and this situation is making matters ten times worse.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Edited by citizenB

Will try and find someone who can help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This may not be what you want to hear, but have you considered selling the house yourself? I realise it's your home, but if GE get their claws into it you could get hammered with a lot of legal costs and they may not sell it for as much as it is worth and you could lose thousands. At least if you sell it you have control over how much you sell for, keep the equity which could go towards a new place when you are in a position to buy again, and if you have set the ball rolling a judge may well give you time to do this, or it may prevent further court action at all.

Edited by caro

What's Best for You?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Alliance & Leicester Moneyclaim issued 20/1/07 £225.50 full settlement received 29 January 2007

Smile £1,075.50 + interest Email request for payment 24/5/06 received £1,000.50 14/7/06 + £20 30/7/06

Yorkshire Bank Moneyclaim issued 21/6/06 £4,489.39 full settlement received 26 January 2007

:p

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

they must comply with the FCA principle 6, treat customers fairly

read this link, see how GE have failed to comply in your case, write to eversheds, pointing out as to where GE Money have failed to comply with the fca guidance

Formal Complaint to GE, which could proceed to the FOS, see if you can stall legal action

http://www.fca.org.uk/your-fca/documents/finalised-guidance/fg13-07

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Unfortunately, once the loan term is over, the court has no jurisdiction to stay (or suspend) a possession order - so whilst the judge will almost certainly be sympathetic to your situation, he/she will be powerless to do anything other than award possession to GEM.

What GEM tend not to inform people, is that if a realistic proposal to repay is put to them, they can give a further two years after the end of the term for repayment. Unfortunately for you, the proposal you put to them wasn't realistic, it wasn't a concrete offer of payment, it was an 'if' situation.

You asked for a year - but a year is virtually up, and you haven't got a new job or remortgaged - and whilst GEM clearly didn't state categorically they had given you a year, by their actions, they clearly have, because it'll be May at the earliest before they get into court. The request, therefore, has more than been met, and you haven't got a new mortgage.

Your options are limited - either sell (as has already been advised by someone above), or try to get that remortgage now (you'd need to earn around £43k to get a mortgage of £190k).

Thank you all for your responses. I have two job interviews next week so I'm hoping to be back in full-time employment soon. If I have a firm job offer, do you think GE Money would consider allowing me to switch to a repayment mortgage?

On a similar thread, our interest only mortgage with J P Morgan is due to expire early next year.

The repayment vehicle is that I have a house in France that will more than repay the mortgage.

(all payments up to date, never missed or been late with any).

My worry is what happens if the house in France has not sold by then (the property market there is pretty dead)?

Nobody have any comments on this one???

gprit, it might be worth you starting your own thread :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D