nickoliver

Reapply for licence after relinquishing for medical reasons

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1688 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I had to return my licence to the DVLA 7+ years ago for medical reasons.

I would now like to reapply for my licence as I feel that I am no longer subject to the medical condition.

I don't have the letter which confirmed the receipt of my licence by DVLA.

I don't have record of my licence number. Also I don't recall that the suspension was a fixed period.

Can anyone advise me what is the correct process for applying for a new licence?

I had to return my licence to the DVLA 7+ years ago for medical reasons.

I would now like to reapply for my licence as I feel that I am no longer subject to the medical condition.

I don't have the letter which confirmed the receipt of my licence by DVLA.

I don't have record of my licence number. Also I don't recall that the suspension was a fixed period.

Can anyone advise me what is the correct process for applying for a new licence?

Did you voluntarily surrender your licence? or was it revoked / refused?.

If revoked / refused, you'll need to wait until they re-issue you a license.

If voluntarily surrendered, you can drive as soon as they receive your application (subject to conditions - see webpage below).

Hence, if voluntarily surrendered and you are eligible to drive as soon as they receive your application, then send it by Special Delivery, so you can prove it was received :)

https://www.gov.uk/reapply-driving-licence-medical-condition/when-you-can-start-driving-again

I was unwell at the time, but my licence would have been returned because my doctor would have informed the DVLA was unfit to drive.

I have the same link which you are sending me to - form which is headed Confidential Medical Information. The first thing is that I don't have my Driver No. The second point is that it is not an application form. The third thing is that I wish to report that I no longer have the condition.

Do I just send the form with an accompanying letter?

I was unwell at the time, but my licence would have been returned because my doctor would have informed the DVLA was unfit to drive.

I have the same link which you are sending me to - form which is headed Confidential Medical Information. The first thing is that I don't have my Driver No. The second point is that it is not an application form. The third thing is that I wish to report that I no longer have the condition.

Phone Driver's Medical Group at DVLA, Swansea.

Give them your name, date of birth and address at the time of licence return, and the date it was returned

(has your address changed since?)

See if they are able to give you your Driver number (or send it to you). It may be helpful for you (before you call) to try to recall when & where you passed your test, in case they need this for verification.

They may also be able to inform you if your license was revoked / refused or voluntarily surrendered.

The medical info form is distinct to a D1 or D2 licence application which you will also need to complete.

You will likely find that you will no longer have Group D1 (small minibus) entitlement on any newly issued licence, even if you previously had this entitlement.

"Your first thing"; no recollection of driver number :

Phone Driver's Medical Group at DVLA, Swansea.

Give them your name, date of birth and address on the licence at time of return, and the date it was returned

(has your address changed since?)

See if they are able to give you your Driver number (or send it to you). It may be helpful for you (before you call) to try to recall when & where you passed your test, in case they need this for verification.

They may also be able to inform you if your license was revoked / refused or voluntarily surrendered.

"Your second point"; the med info form not being an application :

The medical info form is distinct to a D1 or D2 licence application which you will also need to complete.

You will likely find that you will no longer have Group D1 (small minibus) entitlement on any newly issued licence, even if you previously had this entitlement.

"Your third thing"; no longer having the condition:

Put that in the medical info form. Note that you had your condition and the dates. Put when you no longer have the condition from, with an explanation if possible

e.g. "obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA): Treated with CPAP 2006-2014.

I lost weight and was retested for OSA, when I was found to no longer have OSA (Aug 2014)

Since Aug 2014 I no longer require CPAP, and do not suffer from daytime or excessive sleepiness"

Thank you

I gave my name, address and dob and they are sending me the relevant forms.

Make sure you have your doctors OK to drive again because the DVLA will contact your doctor and you will have to give the DVLA permission to do so