BankFodder BankFodder

kirstyo

Someone has applied for a V5 for my car

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1854 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi everyone. I have received a letter today to say that someone has applied for a V5 for my car, the letter asks me to confirm if I have in fact sold the car or if it is still in my possession (which it is). I called their main customer service number as the number given on the letter is not open on Saturdays and they told me that it could just be someone has applied for a V5 for a similar registration plate and its been mistaken for mine or it could be that someone has cloned my car and sold on the clone.

I did buy my car without a V5 as it had just been sold to the place I bought it from a few days before and it hadn't arrived there yet. I applied for and received the V5 with no problems. I have had the car since November and have checked the VIN etc and I definitely have the right car (I had a problem with buying a car with an outstanding VIC check before so I always check and double check everything now).

I guess what I am asking is has this happened to anyone else? what are the chances that my car has been cloned and what will happen if it has been? Obviously I will fill in the form DVLA sent me to say that I haven't sold the car but what happens after that?

This happened to me my plate started with GU

Phoned them up it was a mistake as the other cars plate started with GV both same make model and colour

I also had it again with my insurance to confirm details of my accident there was no accident just a mix up with registration number

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

I am hoping that's all it is, just someone with a similar licence plate. Its not like its a big fancy car or anything - its a ten year old Renault Clio, not the sort of car you expect people to clone but I guess you never know. I will call the number on the letter on Monday at my lunch break just to let them know that I haven't sold the car and I will send off the form with the details they are asking for, hopefully that will be the end of it.

As you know that you have the genuine car, there can be no problem for you to worry about. If the car has been cloned, that will be found out when they check the VIN on that car.

On receipt of you filled in form, that should be the last you hear about it. DVLA will deny the applicant a V5.