Night Shift Hours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My Son got his first job, at McDonald's last September. He enjoyed it at first, but, since Christmas, he has had a gradual change in his hours, until he is now a permanent night shift worker. He has never avoided whatever shifts he's been given, but no-one else is on permanent nights. Is this lawful? At the moment he is working from 8.15pm to 6.15am, with a 45 minute break. Again, is this lawful and how can he make it fairer? Thanks.

over 18? then yes, perfectly lawful.

If the boss won't change his shifts, he needs to change job. The employer is interested in getting the work done and being legal - not being fair.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It could be that in a month or so his hours will change back, I've always steered clear of creating overly complex rota systems and for as far as the boss may be concerned if your son hasn't indicated a preference otherwise then the boss may have assumed he's perfectly happy working nights.

Time for a polite chat rather than going in armed to the teeth with fairness/legislation to ask if the hours can be made a bit more social now he's done his turn.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.