• Tweets

• I agree with my site team colleague above. We need to know all the facts including which company you are dealing with and an explanation of the problem. It really is too difficult to start giving speculative advice on some speculative problem that you have laid out as a generalised scenario
    • Moorcroft are sending a rep round to my house this week. What is the best way to handle this? Ignore and not answer the door or engage with them? I haven't acknowledged anything since I started on this journey and defaulted on my cards in December 2022
    • Very sorry but with the best will in the world, I don't think we can at all understand what the situation is here. Please can you try rewriting this on a word processor and maybe send a copy of what you have written to a friend and working out together so that the story is complete but as brief as possible. Maybe a list of dates as well. If you can do that and then repost your story we can have a look
    • Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
    • Susan Crichton is at the Inquiry today. She seems to have trouble remembering a lot of things but seems to find it easier if it's something that shows her in a good light.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Scotcall/Resolvecall Muppet reported

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3197 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A few weeks ago a bloke knocked holy hell out of my front door.

Wondering what the matter was I went and answered.

He started ranting on about something, I only caught part of it.

Then I saw his jacket, the word Scotcall caught my eye and I saw red.

I told him to go away and shut the door.

I am registered disabled with COPD, a condition made worse when exposed to cold air, so there was no way I was going to stand at the door arguing the toss with him.

It was a very cold day. I have clear 'no cold caller' signs on the door, including one issued by the Police which reads "No appointment? Don't bother knocking'.

He banged on the door again, I just ignored him.

after a while he went to his car then came back a few minutes later and shoved an envelope through the door.

Knowing that it was nothing to do with me I put it straight into the recycling box, unopened.

As we are a no cold calling area, and the signs on the door are quite are clear, I notified the local police neighbourhood team and trading standards.

A couple of weeks later and he was back, banging on the door again.

I was ready for him,. I had prepared a nice little note and had the copy by the door.

I thrust it at him and told him clearly to off.

He shoved the note back through the door.

Ignorance like that annoys me so I opened the door again, told him to get off the premises or the Police would be called.

He started to argue and said he was at liberty to call as often as he liked,

I corrected him and shouted quite loudly at him,

mainly to alert my neighbours of a potential problem.

He backed away on to the street and carried on trying to tell me he had the right

- I stopped him, pointed out that he had no rights at all,

He knew that I was not the person he wanted to see so he was clearly wasting my time.

I said that I was not a messaging service and that I would not discuss another person's financial matters even if they lived there.

After he had left I was quite shaken and was in a bit of a state, to put it mildly.

My inhalers were not bringing my breathing back to normal and my chest was tight.

I suffered a lot of pain through the rest of the day and eventually got a taxi to A&E.

They prodded and poked about and gave me pain relief.

I had an EGC and x-ray, was sent up to a ward and left to rest a while.

A doctor saw me at about 6am, I got no sleep at all that night.

The main doctor saw me about 10am and by then the pain had gone, possibly due to the drip and being put on morphine.

I was discharged and sent home at lunchtime.

Thanks to the unwelcome caller I was unable to do very much for several days.

I don't work, I'm not able to, but simple things like making a sandwich or a drink were difficult.

I was still very uptight about his visit.

I contacted trading standards again.

They sent a complaint to Scotcall, I know it's all the same company.

I've since had a letter to acknowledge the complaint and I've sent the person who wrote that an email with my side of the story, so there is no doubt about who called and what happened. I managed to get the car registration number last time, so was able to pass that on to TS and the Police.

The letter mentions someone who may or may not live here who I am not responsible for.

Regardless of if they were here or not, it was me he saw, me he hassled and me he put in hospital through causing me to be so stressed.

This has been mentioned to Scotcall.

I await their reply.

I've repeated that i am not a messaging service and have no reason to speak to their agent at all.

I consider his actions to be harassment.

He's not been back since.

If he does I will be calling 999 straight away as he will be causing a breach of the peace just by being there.

He's been told, very clearly, to stay away.

Had I been any fitter I would have happily marched him back to his car and shoved him in it.

I will not stand for little Hitler's like him barking orders at me as he tried to.

I know what Scotcall are about and they now know what little regard I have for them and their agent.

I do not bow to threats and intimidation.

I'll let you know if I hear any more.

If anyone else gets a call from and agent Scotcall or Resolvecall, shut the door on them.

If they hang around, call the Police.

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

Sorry to hear of your issue, but the Snotacll drone needs his collar felt, if you have a caller like him use a smartphone to film him if you can, he cannot stop you whatever carp about rights he spouts or shouts.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

As you have now sent a formal complaint to Scotcall, they have 8 weeks to respond. If they don't or if it isn't a satisfactory response, then I suggest you escalate the complaint to the FOS.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I fully expect them to fob me off and will then have to escalate it to the FOS.

I'm rather pleased that I thought to report the first visit to trading standards as it meant I had documented the visit and just what happened. When he came the second time I was ready for him.

• Confused 1

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

• 1 month later...

Nothing heard since their letter of Feb 25th. They are over their 8 weeks now. Follow-up email sent, giving max of 7 calendar days to contact me or I will refer the matter to the FOS without further notice.

Amazing that they could make two house calls in the space of 2 weeks, yet cannot follow up a complaint in 4 times that !

They are hoping you will just go away, Hillards !

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Does this also warrant a complaint to the FCA ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I see no reason why not, SS.

BCOBS

Local MP it is then, remind them of the late Beryl Brazier case, these crooks need their CCL removing!

Have you told Snotcrawl that you require the name of their silly doorstep collector so you can take out a private prosecution against him?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

They replied by email to say they sent their decision to my local TS in March and have not upheld the complaint.

This is wrong on several counts.

They claim that they sent letters to the person they wished to contact, advising that a visit may take place :- As I am not that person I was unaware of this

They claim that it was not a cold call as they were working on behalf of a client who has a legitimate interest with the person they wanted to speak to. :- But that is not me, so I WAS cold called.

They claim that I failed to advise them is the person they wanted to speak to lived at this address. :- As it was a total stranger I was not prepared to discuss anything with him about another persons whereabouts.

It was clear from the moment I opened the door that i was not the person they wanted to speak to. I'm male, they say they want a female.

Why do they think they are exempt from the 'no cold caller' sign on my door? I don't see that they are. It is quite clear - 'no appointment? Don't bother to knock' and is issued by the local Police.

Having been told to 'go away' why did the muppet continue to rant on ? I made it clear I wanted him to go and he could see that he was getting me angry.

Thank you for the CONC links, I will read and digest before sending my complaint to the FOS. I would love to know how to take up a private prosecution too.

You're mistaking these DCA's with human beings, they're definitely not, they don't

follow the same rules as the rest of us, and as for Laws, well they just make them up

as they go along, and use whichever ones they like to suit.

Escalate your complaint further.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Complaint form compiled and sent to FOS with a full statement and supporting documentation. I've been ill again at the very thought of all this. Stress and anguish bring on bad things for me.

Good, nicely done...

However, stressing out at a DCA doesn't do you any favours.

I would say try to switch off from it all :)... Think of something to negate the negative feeling...

That works for me...

We could do with some help from you.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

well done Hillards

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I realise the FOS will take forever and a day to come back with a decision. :crutch:

I've said in the paperwork that my requirements are that they make a full apology and offer suitable compensation for the distress I suffered, failing which the name and address of the agent so I can commence court proceedings.

I disliked DCA's before all of this took place. Now I'm determined that the idiot who called will pay for his actions, one way or another. They have zero powers, no rights.

Scotcall, Resolvecall and other names they've used have now changed to "fidélité credit management limited" - so that is how they pronounce 'fiddle it' in Scotland then ?

''Fiddle it'' is very apt....

This is something the FCA needs to come down heavy on, unfortunately they won't, they're all getting a salary under false pretences.

Scotcall, Resolvecall and other names they've used have now changed to "fidélité credit management limited" - so that is how they pronounce 'fiddle it' in Scotland then ?

''Fiddle it'' is very apt....

OOOh, can I claim royalties on coming up with that interpretation, I'm sure others will now use it to describe this wonderful company :-)

This is something the FCA needs to come down heavy on, unfortunately they won't, they're all getting a salary under false pretences.

What else can I do at this stage though. Fiddle-It have said they dismiss the complaint made via Trading Standards, yet didn't take into account a follow-up I sent that explained the situation fully. Referring it to the FOS will force them to come up with a better answer, if they have one, or get a finger wagging. I'm unsure at this stage what legal action I could take.

• 3 weeks later...

Standard letter from FOS, advising that they are contacting Fiddle-It and and advisor will introduce themselves within 12 weeks. I've to let them know if I'm threatened with legal action relating to my complaint. Oh please, let them try! Also is the business contacts me with an offer, wonder what the chances of that are ?

Standing my ground firmly here :-)

• 1 month later...

Bad News... Oh dear, I wasn't expecting that. :-( FOS telephoned me this afternoon.

The lady had read through the case and it seems that they cannot act on my behalf.

Why?

Because complaints they deal with must come from a customer of the organisation being complained about.

As I am not a customer of fiddle-it they cannot take action against them on my behalf.

CAB in my area closed in April.

No point going down that route.

But now where do I go to get some resolve for the idiot who caused so much hassle...?