Pension and income tax rates

kalujo123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3331 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello I'm trying to find out some info for my father. Haven't a clue about pensions etc.

He receives a private pension from his previous employer which currently pays around £400 per month but has tax deducted at 40 percent. Also currently is employed earning around £20k per year and taxed at 20 percent. Is it correct that his private pension is taxed at 40 percent? He is not at state pension age yet.

I'm confused as I thought everyone had tax bracket earning limits before they were deducted at 40 percent ie above £36k or something, am I right or are private pensions treated differently.

Many thanks for your help

Hi thanks for the quick replies

These 2 are the only income he has and he does not earn above the £41k that bb has said. Unfortunately he is away at work at the moment and not home until Friday for me to find out about his tax codes etc. would they have just placed the 40 percent tax in his pension by default as he has never questioned anything with Hmrc. If there is an error would he be entitled to receive anything back from them.

Once again thank you very much

What do you mean by yearly statement? Do you mean his P60 for last year from the pension provider? I havent ever seen a P60 without a tax code.

He should also have received a coding notice from HMRC.

The easiest and quickest thing to do would be for him to call the tax office as we can only make guesses here without the full information. HMRC will be able to see the tax codes operated and why and change them if need be.