Barclays cashpoint kept cash left pennyless

TOMMIEBOY
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3294 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all some advice needed,

last Thursday went to withdraw £350 from my local Barclays at 6am

only for the machine to make lots of noise then "Thank You"

and the cash draw opened and closed with no cash.

The machine then displayed "out of order" so i went along to the next cash point but the £350 had been taken from my account.

So at 10am i went into the branch and noticed the cash point was still out of order

the cashier told me there was indeed a problem with the cashpoint and the withdrawal should right itself overnight

it was not there in the morning so went back in only to be told i should contact my own bank.

On doing this i had to answer lots of questions and was then told it would take up to 2 weeks to resolve the matter

as they had to contact Barclays and wait for them to reply.

Now £350 may be nothing to some but this was my weeks wages and i have bills to pay and shopping to get in

my bank say they have to wait for Barclays and Barclays are saying they have to purge ? the cashpoint

no one seems to care i have been left with nothing what can i do

Hi TB,

To get this sorted quickly, you will have to get onto YOUR bank and demand a refund asap.

Your issue is with your bank and not Barclays who's machine you used.

The bank are duty-bound to refund you immediately unless they can show you were dishonest, or in some way to blame.

You need to put your complaint in writing. Also tell them you require that your bank tell Barclays to preserve any CCTV that will show that the machine did not dispense your cash.

Tell your bank you are aware of the FSA rules and the 2009 Payment Services Directive which tell the bank how they must treat you.

What bank is your a/c with ?

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

last Thursday went to withdraw £350 from my local Barclays at 6am only for the machine to make lots of noise then "Thank You" and the cash draw opened and closed with no cash.

If this happens again, phone the bank immediately and report it - It may also be an idea to give the local police a call too just in case the machine has been rigged with a "claw".

See: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2236213/Claw-like-devices-inserted-ATM-slots-steal-notes-latest-hole-wall-[problem].html

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Hi TB,

To get this sorted quickly, you will have to get onto YOUR bank and demand a refund asap.

Your issue is with your bank and not Barclays who's machine you used.

The bank are duty-bound to refund you immediately unless they can show you were dishonest, or in some way to blame.

You need to put your complaint in writing. Also tell them you require that your bank tell Barclays to preserve any CCTV that will show that the machine did not dispense your cash.

Tell your bank you are aware of the FSA rules and the 2009 Payment Services Directive which tell the bank how they must treat you.

What bank is your a/c with ?

Thanks i am with the nationwide i did complain to them but i think i have been fobbed off as they have told me i must wait

Thanks for the advice just been on the phone and the girl had never heard of the 2009 Payment Services Directive and insisted i had to wait 14 working days.

So i said i wanted to make a complaint but they do not start until 10 so someone is going to ring me back

Sounds like the bank staff need retraining. You'll be very lucky to get a callback too.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Take a written letter to your branch saying you insist the refund is made immediately.

Stop making phone calls as they may well be a waste of time and you have no proof of what is said.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Take a written letter to your branch saying you insist the refund is made immediately.

Stop making phone calls as they may well be a waste of time and you have no proof of what is said.

Sorry for not getting back sooner but it has been very stressful, I took your advice and took a letter into branch and it worked to the point i got a phone call from Nationwide but it was to point out in cases of non fraud like this they do not have to refund while they look at the matter.

So i rang the FSA to ask for advice and they have said the same thing that i will have to wait the 14 working days as it is non fraud and looks like machine failure.

I have come to terms that I will have to wait but it has caused me stress and and put me in a bad place money wise having to borrow from here and there so my next question is if Barclays say it was down to machine failure would i be entitled to ask for compensation ?

Indeed - it's classed as a dispute.

You are entitled to ask for whatever you want but whether they are obliged to give you anything is a whole different ballpark. So you might get something, you might not but I guess there is no harm in asking.

Hi Tommie,

You can always ask for compensation - whether you get it or not will have to be seen.

Keep on at your bank - don't let them relax and insist that they resolve the issue quickly, or you will sue them for any consequential losses.

Your bank could arrange for a temporary overdraft facility of £350 until this is resolved.

Barclays did this for me 15 years ago, but mind you, it was their own atm that had failed.

I got it sorted in a week or so eventually.

Bcobs. Banks have to treat you fairly.

This could be a basis for a bcobs complaint no?

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Sorry i have not been back for a few days, I am still without my money been into the branch today and was just fobbed off.

My bank say they are still waiting for Barclays to get back to them and hope to have the matter resolved by 30th March which would be 5 weeks short of a sit in there was no much i could do at branch.

Just getting anger at the lack action

I would email the CEO's office at your bank and say you will not accept the ridiculous lack of urgency being displayed by your bank's staff and, if necessary, you will approach the press, make formal complaints and take court action using the BCOBs regulations.

I agree with Slick... Its below for you. One other thing, i would also keep Barclays in the loop. If it was their staff who told you it was over night it would be returned then thats misinformation too...

They respond really quickly. I emailed them on a sunday and heard by 10 am on Monday... I actually sent a praise email but in your case hopefully this will be finished soon...

Graham Beale - Nationwide

[email protected]

Anthony Jenkins - Barclays

[email protected]

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I agree with Slick... Its below for you. One other thing, i would also keep Barclays in the loop. If it was their staff who told you it was over night it would be returned then thats misinformation too...

They respond really quickly. I emailed them on a sunday and heard by 10 am on Monday... I actually sent a praise email but in your case hopefully this will be finished soon...

Thanks for that i have done that and had a reply for Nationwide nothing from Barclays

Thank you for your email addressed to Graham Beale, our Chief Executive, from which we were sorry to learn of your concerns.

We are arranging for your complaint to be investigated, and a response will be issued by an appropriate senior manager shortly.

Yours sincerely

Glenda Laurie

Executive Assistant

Executive Team

Member Service Department

I'd give them until midday on Monday and, if no reply by then, email N'wide again saying your require a full and considered reply within 24 hours as this matter is causing you extreme financial difficulty.

I had something similar years ago.

Went to a barclays cashpoint and tried to withdraw, machine then went out of order without giving me the cash, I went straight into the Barclays branch and told them, they said the machine would have to be checked, and if it was found to be over by the amount of money that I had tried to withdraw then they would give it to me, told me to come in the next day, which I did and they paid me what the machine should have given me.

So they must have some way to tally what the machine says has been requested to be withdrawn that day and how much it physically gave out.

I don't know if it's too late, if they keep any record of when their machines don't pay out or pay out more than they were supposed to.

I'd give them until midday on Monday and, if no reply by then, email N'wide again saying your require a full and considered reply within 24 hours as this matter is causing you extreme financial difficulty.

Thanks for the rely, i sent another email only to be told Barclays have 20 days to reply to the Nationwide and then it will be another 4 working days before i am told of the outcome and then 2 working days for the money ( if they agree ) to be put back into my account making a total of 32 days from the date they took my money.

Clearly i feel i have been let down and more to the point i have been lied over and over so i will be looking at taking county court action any tips

Clearly i feel i have been let down and more to the point i have been lied over and over so i will be looking at taking county court action any tips

What financial losses have you incurred due to this?

Taking county court action is quite complex. I am learning to do this myself against a mobile phone operator.

Maybe writing a letter of complaint and detailing your financial losses as well as time it has taken you to resolve this issue may make the bank pay you compensation. Or they could just ignore...

What financial losses have you incurred due to this?

Taking county court action is quite complex. I am learning to do this myself against a mobile phone operator.

Maybe writing a letter of complaint and detailing your financial losses as well as time it has taken you to resolve this issue may make the bank pay you compensation. Or they could just ignore...

There are a few financial losses the first not being able to get to work on the day due to not having any money, then there's all the phone calls and its not just financial losses if it was the other way round Nationwide would be charging me £5 per day !!