Teej75

I have a PIP assessment on Wednesday, any advice?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1729 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

If you look smart, you are giving the wrong impression. You're not going for a job interview! You're going for an assessment to see if you meet the criteria for a benefit.

Of course you have to be honest but you need to say how it is. Tell them what a bad day is and if they are the majority of days that is a fair representation. As for being smart,most people, even those with severe clinical depression do still want to portray the best image. This is an error imo. Again people will want to please the nice lady from atos and make out they can do things. Yes there are things you may be able to do but if you then have to lie down or go to bed to recover that needs explaining.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

No, you have to approach it from a honest perspective. If you are having a good day you tell them, if other days are worse tell them that too. Deceiving them into believing that all of your days are bad is said to be leaving you open to a charge of benefit fraud.

Yeah sorry poor phrasing there, i'd never try to deceive always be as honest as i can.

I'll update tomorrow, not really sure how it went but i tried to go into detail of how things affect but i forgot to give examples on some stuff. Cheers.

All this stuff about impressions. GAH, feel like the whole thing is designed to fail you and that's was thinking of when i posted. :|

You have to be aware of how they score the assessments as evidenced by that guide, if you didn't know and were really ill and said yes i can but you could only do it once you'd fail. The lady i saw did as quite a lot about my issues though.

I questioned whether it'd be worth going through with it again, i'm half expecting get 0 points and have to go to a tribunal again but at least i had a letter from CFS this time which was submitted as evidence. :)

You have to be aware of how they score the assessments as evidenced by that guide, if you didn't know and were really ill and said yes i can but you could only do it once you'd fail.

This is why I said earlier to only say yes if it was something you can actually repeat in a tmely manner with no problems at all. It's reasonable to say no if you can do it but it hurts, you have to stop (to think, because it hurts, you need help, etc) etc.

You can also get points if you can only do the activity with aids.

Oh yeah and i appreciate stuff like that believe me. I probably wouldn't have thought of this stuff so am really grateful for this place. :)

If you look smart, you are giving the wrong impression. You're not going for a job interview! You're going for an assessment to see if you meet the criteria for a benefit............This is why I said earlier to only say yes if it was something you can actually repeat in a tmely manner with no problems at all. It's reasonable to say no if you can do it but it hurts, you have to stop (to think, because it hurts, you need help, etc) etc.

How can you give the wrong impression if when you normally go out you make sure that you are clean, decently dressed and act appropriately? Are you seriously suggesting that if what I have stated is the norm then you should go out to the assessment as though you have just come from doing a few hours in the garden, dirty finger nails and all?

With respect I feel that you are at best trying to advise others to 'play the system' and at worst, condoning deceit.

Surely the honest way, the way I would deal with it, is to be honest in your answers and probably only give yes/no answers. If the assessor wants to draw inferences from those replies so be it. If they do not delve into the subjects deep enough or phrase questions along the lines of asking if, despite saying yes, does it vary from hour to hour or day to day, then they have failed in their duty of care.

All of this remembering to qualify each and every answer you give is, in my honest opinion, asking far too much of a lot of people who are being assessed in a strange place with officious examiners.

I have never met an assessor who would be happy with yes or no answers, and they will push you for a lot more.

They will and very often do, make assumptions based on what they think you are saying, rather than what you do say.

Also as to them drawing inferences from your replies, it can very often mean the different between getting a certain benefit, and being refused.

Failing in their duty of care means nothing, you are nothing to them, whether you get your benefit or not is of no consequence to them, you are just another job. They see you, make

their assessment of you, and move onto the next case.

You have to be on your top game at an assessment, no matter what it is for, or where it is because trust me, that assessor is on their top game.

I had my assessment today. I wore jeans and a jumper, which is what I normally wear. I was tidy, but needed a shave. I assume from this that the assessor will inform the DWP that I look

like I have just been on the This Morning Tv show having a makeover as this is what most assessors are like in my experience.

There are some nasty people out there, and a lot of them work for ATOS and Capita.

One more thing. At a previous ATOS assessment, I was rubbing the top of my legs up and down (not in a sexual way) as this is what I do when I am very anxious, and I was doing it constantly. But, because I wasn't 'Rocking back and forth' then according to the assessor I showed no signs of anxiety and appeared relaxed and calm.

This is what a lot of them are like. Some of us have had bad experiences with them, which is why some of us have a dim view of them.

I have never met an assessor who would be happy with yes or no answers, and they will push you for a lot more.

They will and very often do, make assumptions based on what they think you are saying, rather than what you do say.

Also as to them drawing inferences from your replies, it can very often mean the different between getting a certain benefit, and being refused.

Failing in their duty of care means nothing, you are nothing to them, whether you get your benefit or not is of no consequence to them, you are just another job. They see you, make

their assessment of you, and move onto the next case.

You have to be on your top game at an assessment, no matter what it is for, or where it is because trust me, that assessor is on their top game.

I had my assessment today. I wore jeans and a jumper, which is what I normally wear. I was tidy, but needed a shave. I assume from this that the assessor will inform the DWP that I look

like I have just been on the This Morning Tv show having a makeover as this is what most assessors are like in my experience.

There are some nasty people out there, and a lot of them work for ATOS and Capita.

One more thing. At a previous ATOS assessment, I was rubbing the top of my legs up and down (not in a sexual way) as this is what I do when I am very anxious, and I was doing it constantly. But, because I wasn't 'Rocking back and forth' then according to the assessor I showed no signs of anxiety and appeared relaxed and calm.

This is what a lot of them are like. Some of us have had bad experiences with them, which is why some of us have a dim view of them.

There is nothing stopping you giving the following answers: YES, NO, I DON'T KNOW, I'VE NO IDEA or I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.

They may attempt to warn you that you are deliberately refusing to co-operate which you aren't. Much the same as someone that is either shy, has anxiety issues, nervous or is easily confused - what answers would they give if they gave any at all?

The danger of allowing yourself to be 'drawn in' is that you will have to be able to be very quick in understanding and realising what the purpose of the question is and then deciding what the best answer is. Alternatively if the assessor is using a computer to enter information in, there is nothing stopping you saying 'uumm' after their question and wait until they ask the next question but you then answer the first one. If the assessor uses the 'silence' technique, you must avoid the urge to have to talk. Take your time.

There will be nothing more annoying for the assessor if the feedback they get back is totally noncommittal.

If it was me I would be the typical 'village idiot' who mumbles a lot and who doesn't know much about anything.

There is nothing stopping you giving the following answers: YES, NO, I DON'T KNOW, I'VE NO IDEA or I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN.

They may attempt to warn you that you are deliberately refusing to co-operate which you aren't. Much the same as someone that is either shy, has anxiety issues, nervous or is easily confused - what answers would they give if they gave any at all?

The danger of allowing yourself to be 'drawn in' is that you will have to be able to be very quick in understanding and realising what the purpose of the question is and then deciding what the best answer is. Alternatively if the assessor is using a computer to enter information in, there is nothing stopping you saying 'uumm' after their question and wait until they ask the next question but you then answer the first one. If the assessor uses the 'silence' technique, you must avoid the urge to have to talk. Take your time.

There will be nothing more annoying for the assessor if the feedback they get back is totally noncommittal.

If it was me I would be the typical 'village idiot' who mumbles a lot and who doesn't know much about anything.

Have you ever actually experienced a DWP assessment? All this tactic is likely to get you is a fail.

• Haha 1

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

The point in the assessment is for you to demonstrate that you meet the qualifying criteria.

If you fail to provide sufficient information about how your conditions affect you, then you are likely to fail the assessment, which you may have passed if you had provided more information.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

How can you give the wrong impression if when you normally go out you make sure that you are clean, decently dressed and act appropriately? Are you seriously suggesting that if what I have stated is the norm then you should go out to the assessment as though you have just come from doing a few hours in the garden, dirty finger nails and all?

With respect I feel that you are at best trying to advise others to 'play the system' and at worst, condoning deceit.

Surely the honest way, the way I would deal with it, is to be honest in your answers and probably only give yes/no answers. If the assessor wants to draw inferences from those replies so be it. If they do not delve into the subjects deep enough or phrase questions along the lines of asking if, despite saying yes, does it vary from hour to hour or day to day, then they have failed in their duty of care.

All of this remembering to qualify each and every answer you give is, in my honest opinion, asking far too much of a lot of people who are being assessed in a strange place with officious examiners.

You've completely misunderstood my post.

Due to my visual impairment, it's not that unusual for one of the following:

- me to be wearing odd socks

- me to be wearing a dirty top or trousers (because some stains aren't that obvious)

It wouldn't be that unreasonable, given the above, for me to turn up to a an assessment in that state - because it's actually normal for me. It would however, be classed as fraud if it's normal for me to go an assessment dressed like that if I have no such issue. They want to see how you normally are. Although, if you are having a good day, I would actually tell the assessor "Today, I am having a good day. On an average day... which is x amount of days per week..." (or month)

Like I've said, you're not going to a job interview or similar, so why make an effort? Make an effort and you are giving the wrong impression.

My pip assessment report actually contained a lot of stuff that did not even occur !! So answering yes or no would have got me where ?

Not difficult for me. I have just listened back to my covert recording which although isn't good quality is clear for me to hear my ums and arghs and hesitation. Even a few, sorry what was I saying. Non of that was put on

The point in the assessment is for you to demonstrate that you meet the qualifying criteria.

If you fail to provide sufficient information about how your conditions affect you, then you are likely to fail the assessment, which you may have passed if you had provided more information.

For a start not everyone is capable of handling an assessment to the extent you suggest. What is the success rate to be awarded ESA? 40%. On that basis I would have had a 60% chance of failing no matter what I would have said. My personal view is that I would give the least amount away with those answers and let the assessor read into my replies what they wish. If I haven't said anything meaningful they can't very well say that I said something totally different in their report. I would rely more on a tribunal to look at the situation with relevant evidence sent to them than I would the assessor or the DWP.

I certainly would not be offering myself up on a plate to the DWP for me to fail.

What would be the point? You're only adding more and more stress to yourself. Surely it's better to give as much information as you can and make the process as easy as you can for yourself.

For a start not everyone is capable of handling an assessment to the extent you suggest. What is the success rate to be awarded ESA? 40%. On that basis I would have had a 60% chance of failing no matter what I would have said. My personal view is that I would give the least amount away with those answers and let the assessor read into my replies what they wish. If I haven't said anything meaningful they can't very well say that I said something totally different in their report. I would rely more on a tribunal to look at the situation with relevant evidence sent to them than I would the assessor or the DWP.

I certainly would not be offering myself up on a plate to the DWP for me to fail.

Hello there. I'm still not sure if you've been to an assessment for ESA. The forum stikky on 'medicals' was written by a lady who was ill herself but had been a welfare rights adviser. Until I'm told otherwise by someone with relevant experience, this is the way I would tackle an assessment, and it isn't yes/no answers.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?287253-esa-medicals

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

I have to say that going to a medical is stressful enough especially if you have MH issues. then waiting for the appeal process is almost unbearable which is I believe one reason so many people are failed at the WCA as they will drop out during the appeal stage. Finally why force yourself to wait maybe getting on 18 months for the extra money when it is impossible to live a healthy life on basic JSA.

when i had my PIP assessment last year, i answered the questions to the best of my ability, providing examples and details

based upon the assessment i was awarded the enhanced level of the living component

if i had just tried to answer yes or no, and failed to provide the additional detail, i am 100% certain that my claim would have been refused and I would have then had to wait several months for a tribunal, but to be honest i am not sure i would have been up to fighting on to a tribunal as it would have been too much for me

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

What would be the point? You're only adding more and more stress to yourself. Surely it's better to give as much information as you can and make the process as easy as you can for yourself.

Ok I'll go along with your suggestion and submit the evidence I have in support of the claim. I then just answer all of the questions asked of me giving explanations and reasons to the assessor.

Now at that point what guarantee have I got that all of what I have said in the way I have said it will be translated correctly by the assessor onto the drop down menus on their computer? What guarantee would I have that my ability to communicate at that level in a calm and professional manner with them would not be used against me?

My worry would be that I can be very well spoken, display a good level of intelligence, assimilate on the questions raised by the assessor and expand on the answers I give. However what my medical history shows and the conditions I have together with the drugs I take would lead a normal person to believe that one doesn't fit with the other. No doubt the assessor would have their opinion that there is nothing wrong with me despite what the written evidence suggests. That evidence would suggest that I would be unable to function at nothing more than at a very low level.

Me being me, would shoot myself in the foot if I allowed that to happen.

Then consider how a Tribunal would view the report?

I think this thread has run its course now.

TCS, if and when you have your own assessment, I suggest you ask for advice on a new thread.

HB

• Haha 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thanks for reopening the thread honeybee13! :-)

Well as expected i failed the assessment. I got 4 points and 0 for mobility which was the main reason i was applying. :|

It says i can plan and follow a route of a journey unaided but yet i took a taxi there which was booked for me so i'm not sure what that means, physically i would not have been able to get there on my own and it's the same with hospital appointments etc.

I'm trying to work out if appealing is worthwhile and whether any evidence i could attain would be enough to support my claim as i have to choose where to expend my energy.

I've only had a CFS assessment last year but cause of some admin errors follow has taken ages so support letters first? Or should i also ask for my medical records as i read ATOS may not.

Thanks.

sorry to hear your outcome

first step is to apply for a mandatory reconsideration and a full written explantion of their decision

It says i can plan and follow a route of a journey unaided but yet i took a taxi there which was booked for me so i'm not sure what that means, physically i would not have been able to get there on my own and it's the same with hospital appointments etc.

It's not your ability to put one foot in front of the other. It's if you're told by a friend to meet them at a certain place, can you plan the journey and get there safely? IE, I can write down the instructions on how to get to a specified place. But I almost always get lost. Certain directions will always confuse me. (ie, you can't tell me to turn left and then tell me to turn right)

This really is the problem with these assessments , they have hidden triggers. It is always worth appealing . Do you have a copy of your application and the scoring criteria?

I would be putting together a letter pinpointing where you believe the errors were made and why , this needs to be done quickly , I am not sure of the timescale.

I am waiting on my outcome, I had my visit on Thursday 5th March so hopefully I will hear in the next few days