police caution shoplifting SCOTLAND **RESOLVED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3030 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Facial recognition?

It isnt used that often because it doesnt work that well.

Security guard just putting the heebie jeebies into you to get you to behave as they want.

However, as you are barred they can call the police if you go back so avoid for a while at least.

You could just write to RLP and tell them to foxtrot oscar as you owe nothing to them or anyone else and if they continue to write you will treat the matter as harassment.

These types usually save themselves the cost of the stamps when they realise that the intended victim isnt going to play ball,

dont forget, they are only in it for the money, not justice or crime prevention or detection.

They dont actually do anything other than mislead their clients and try and get money out of the vulnerable

Today I received at letter from RLP as expected.

They state that I owe their client £250.

The envelope has "Retail Loss Prevention" printed on the front, done by the franking machine I guess.

I'm not looking forward to trying to intercept the post for the next 8-12months to get the letters before anyone else in the house does.

I was reading this thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?439604-Shoplifted-from-Superdrug

And the OP emailed RLP instructing them only to contact him/her by email which RLP said they would comply with.

I was thinking of doing this myself but wondered if RLP would still comply as Im not a minor unlike the OP in the thread I linked.

Any advice?

I was also wondering if I instruct a company to only contact me be a certain method, must they abide by it?

Thanks

Firstly, can you post up a copy of that envelope. If this is going to be a new tactic we need to be able to counter it.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

The problem with emailing is that if it elicits no response then they can revert to snail mail.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

@ericsbrother: Well it certainly worked putting the heebie jeebies into me. Was nervous just passing through the Center in the car. I have been reading about facial recognition online and I've been getting myself worked up about it. As you say there is often flaws with the system. I intend to avoid it for a long while yet. Don't fancy either dealing with the Police again or dealing with the embarrassment of being identified whilst with family/friends.

@silverfox:

I'll post the envelope shortly once I have some privacy at the computer, too many folk in the room at the moment. That's what I have thought regarding emails. I've read various threads about RLP and some say completely ignore from the outset; others say send the one letter disputing the claim then ignore them. I think I'll do the latter as ericsbrother says & maybe they'll get the idea that I won't pay. Although I doubt it will deter their paper threats much.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd update that I have received another letter from RLP today. This one did not have the words "Retail Loss Prevention" on the envelope like the last. Just the return address with no mention of RLP. Whether they have change their procedure or simply have 2 different franking machines.

I only mention this as silverfox1961 has advised that they are in the process of discussing the matter of the company name being shown on the envelope with CAB & Trading Standard as mentioned in this tread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?442825-Got-caught-stealing-at-boots-and-sent-to-custody-police/page3

I wonder if they send the first letter with RLP on the front to see if that elicits a response and if not, revert to the standard envelope.

I did contact the CAB who wouldn't offer any advice as such but they wanted me to supply my address and RLPs address so that they can then pass it on to Trading Standards and today they have confirmed that they have passed the details on.

All we need people to do is report each and every case where RLP send letters to report them to Trading Standards via CAB. The more complaints TS get, the sooner they will investigate.

Carry on ignoring.

The police didn't mention the word caution before asking me any questions in the store security office. That's why I'm a little confused. They only said it after they finished their questions and were were leaving. I guess I'll just need to wait and see

You can check your police record with a £10 sent to the police in England, don't know about Scotland.

Caution is a legal term with a legal definition, not "wot he said to me".

There are two types of checks you can do in England (sorry don't know about Scotland), standard police check or the extended Police check, each cost £10. Standard will show convictions and other stuff of recorded nature.

http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Making-a-subject-access-request/1400005855548/1400005855548

Standard:

"

Application 1. Access to Information held by the MPS on the Police National Computer [PNC] - You should use this form if you need a check to be made against your conviction history records. This will include court convictions, police cautions/warnings, reprimands and Penalty Notice for Disorder [PND].

"

Enhanced:

"

Application 2. Access to information about yourself, held by the MPS on MPS databases; i.e. Crime Reports.

"

Second one is basically "Neighbours accused me of whatever", but cops didn't find any evidence apart from hearsay and won't show in employment checks, unlike cautions which will.

If you committed a minor crime before 2006, there was a high chance it would have been wiped off the computer entirely like it never existed, if the police where so inclined to be nice. Now it's on there forever and will show on employment/immigration checks no matter what.

This is the email I received from CAB. While non committal in its advice, it did spell out avenues for what someone (if they chose) could do.

Thank you for your email to the Citizens Advice consumer service dated 27/03/2015.

Your reference number for this case is REDACTED. It would be helpful if you could quote this reference number in any future contact with our service, regarding this specific issue so we can record all the information and advice offered.

We understand from your email that you feel the trader’s actions are in breach of the Consumer Protection Regulations. To clarify our role: The aim of Citizen Advice service is to offer impartial advice and information based on simple consumer issues so a consumer can try to resolve a civil dispute themselves, we cannot act on anyone's behalf or offer an opinion. We are unable to provide leaflets regarding this matter.

Criminal Offence: The trader’s actions could be considered a criminal offence under the Consumer Protection From Unfair Tradinglink3.gif Regulations 2008. There are two areas of law which govern the UK. There is criminal law and civil law. Criminal law is the area of law that determines actions which are harmful to people and their property. It often carries fixed penalties as a means of punishing people for their wrongdoing and is enforced by bodies such as Trading Standards and the Police. Civil law is the area of law which aims to resolve disputes between two parties involved in a civil contract; such as an agreement to purchase or sell goods and/or services.

Alternatively a civil claim may be pursued if one party is pursing any losses incurred as a consequence of the other parties’ actions. Your rights and obligations: As you are aware there have been some amendments made to the Consumer Protection Regulations, which state from the 01/10/2014 if a consumer is subjected to aggressive business practices by companies such as debt collectionlink3.gif/civil recovery agencies; the consumer could look to pursue the trader for an amount of damages (money) that would directly reflect any alarm, distress and inconvenience suffered as a direct consequence of a trader using aggressive business practices.

Therefore, if a consumer feels that the company that you have referred to in your email have, since the 01/10/2014 harassed the consumer with demands for payment, and because of their frequency and manner they have subjected the consumer to alarm, distress or humiliation; the consumer could look to pursue that company for an appropriate amount of damages.

You can read more about the Consumer Protection (amendmentlink3.gif) Regulations 2014 by clicking herehttp://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...a_payment_.htm>

It is important to remember that if the trader refutes the consumer’s claims and refuses to offer any redress; the claimant (party pursuing a claim) would need to consider taking further action through the civil courts. The small claimslink3.gif track allows parties involved in a civil dispute in England and Wales to resolve their issue once and for all, when the disputed amount is £10,000 or less. The claimant would be expected to demonstrate that using the Small Claims Track, was the last course of action available to them in order to settle the dispute, and they would also be expected to pay the initial court fees which start at approx £30; however there is no need for either party to employ a solicitor, and the court protocols are fairly easy to follow – click herehttps://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome%20> for further information.

Determining the outcome of any civil court case can be very difficult as no one can predict how a judge will interpret the information provided by both the claimant and defendant. As such, Citizens Advice consumer service cannot offer an opinion on the outcome of any civil claim; however we can inform you that a civil court would expect any claimant to be able to justify and mitigate (make less severe) their claim.

Your next steps: Bearing in mind the information detailed above; if a consumer feels they have been subjected to an aggressive business practice and they wish to pursue a civil claim further, the consumer should consider sending the trader a recorded delivery letter, outlining everything to date, and giving a deadline to resolve the matter within a set period of time (e.g. 14 days).

The consumer should make it very clear what they expect from the trader and why. It is also worth enclosing copies of any documentation that would help you substantiate their claim and retaining copies of everything sent, for your records. You can find guidance for how to set out your letter on our websitehttp://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan...le_letters.htm>

Sending letters by recorded delivery will allow you to track the letter using the ‘Recorded Signed For’ label the post office supply you with; to make sure the intended recipient receives the letter. As such, they would be unable to claim that you have never attempted to make them aware of your intentions should they fail to comply with your request; refuse to accept delivery; or fail to offer a response.

What we’ll do:

We would like to inform Trading Standards of the trader's activities in this situation for further consideration regarding any enforcement issues. In order to pass all the relevant information to the appropriate Trading Standards authority we would require both your and the trader’s full postal address including postcode.

Trading Standards Authorities are department within local and/or county councils, as such the postcode is required to determine which enforcement authority would deal with any potential issue.

You can provide this information by return email or by using the telephone number detailed below quoting your case reference number. If you require any further advice or information about this case, please do not hesitate to contact the Citizens Advice consumer service by return email or on 03454 04 05 06 quoting the case reference number. Thank you for your email.

Citizens Advice consumer service Tel: 03454 04 05 06 Web: www.adviceguide.org.uk

• 9 months later...

Hi there, I was wondering if there was an update on this case.

I am in a similar situation and I am patiently waiting on my letter from the PF.

What happened to you?

Hope all turned out well!

https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?458396-shoplifting-offence-Scotland-So-ashamed-and-looking-for-advice

Hi there, I was wondering if there was an update on this case. I am in a similar situation and I am patiently waiting on my letter from the PF. What happened to you? Hope all turned out well!

be best you start a new thread

of your own

each situation in diff.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

as dx says all situations are different. But in my case I was sent to a meeting with social worker under the diversion to prosecution system. A few weeks after meeting the PF wrote to me giving me a warning for the offence.

The letter says "if you accept this warning or if you are deemed to have accepted it, I shall not prosecute you for the offence.

The warning is not a conviction and shall not be recorded as one. Any alleged victim may be entitled to be notified of the disposal of the case against you.

Information about this warning will however be recorded on the Scottish Criminal History System and will remain on the system for two years. This will be used to help inform future police or prosecution decisions if you offend again and it will be disclosable under 'enhanced disclosure' in terms of Part V of the Police Act 1997 during this time."

Might not be the same outcome for you so best to follow dx's advice and create your own thread.

nice of you to give the outcome...all be it a wee bit late...:madgrin:

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you for replying and I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.

Your case is almost identical to mine, which is why I was interested and I also felt exactly the same as you, from your explanation.

I am so worried about it all and just hope it doesn't affect my future.

Thanks again.