Buying a new car.

Centurion
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3306 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Is there a cooling off period when you buy a used car?? I went to a main dealer yesterday and bought a near new Ford Fiesta and I'm happy with the car but now think it would be cheaper just to get a loan rather than take out the PCP finance.

Can I walk away from this and get my £1000 deposit back if i've signed the vehicle order agreement??

Many thanks.

depends what their terms are, if you still purchase a car from them they may let you switch plans.

or they may just charge you an admin fee.

Also you may be able to cancel if they have not given you all the information needed to understand what the contract involves; i.e. all the terms, repayments etc.

Thanks for the reply.....the salesman told me that he would put in a load of extras as a sweetener for the low value of the car I'm putting in as PX then when I got home and read the credit agreement I found that they were listed but at a cost of over a £1000. One is breakdown cover which I already have with my bank and another is courtesy car cover which I have on my insurance so they are totally worthless to me. So can I go to the bank tomorrow and get a loan to cover the cost of the car and renegotiate the deal do you think?

Thanks.

Edited by Centurion

The contract is now cancelled and my deposit is being returned I'll post more in a few day's......I've had a very lucky escape and will never step foot on a A/C forecourt ever again....thanks for the help.

Yes mate as I've said a very lucky escape and I'm so glad I paid the £1000 deposit on mastercard who have been amazing.....Never again. I'll have a major complaint going in about one of their salesman who talked to me as if I was an idiot and was very rude and aggressive when I cancelled the deal. Little did they know I had my mobile on the desk set to record and got every word.

Arnold Clark are bloody disgrace and so surprised at how many cars they sell.

I'll post more when the deposit is back.

• 5 weeks later...

A quick update.....I put down a £1000 deposit on a Ford Fiesta on the 28th Feb and cancelled the deal on the 2nd March as the car was not fit for purpose, I was promised a full refund which never happened so had to get Mastercard in to sort it out and with their help I got my money back today a full month later :mad2: I've no doubt that if it had been cash I would of been lucky to see it back this side of Xmas.

On test driving the car on the Saturday I noticed that the key was bent and I had a lot of difficulty getting it into the ignition which I pointed out to the salesman who told me he would have a new key ready when I came to pick up the car. I called in on Monday to see if the key had been ordered only to be told that I would have to buy the car first and only then would he order the new key and it would take three weeks!! I told him that I had already given the Reg of the car to my local Ford dealer who said they could have a key ready by the Friday I also said that I wanted the ignition barrel on the car checked by the RAC when the key was delivered to make sure that the barrel was not damaged. At this point the two salesman I was dealing with started to get aggressive and called the RAC/AA a bunch of cowboys and no way would they have them on their forecourt and I didn't know what I was talking about.

At this point a senior manager got involved and told them to cancel the deal and issue a full refund....which they never did!!

All in all I've had a lucky escape and all I can say is never go anywhere near Arnold Clark!!!! I'll be putting in a complaint to the T/S tomorrow and hope it will be taken up by my local paper.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Centurion

Im confused.

You went back to them for a second car?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I want your car.

You placed a deposit on the 28th March and Cancelled on April 2nd

Clearly this car can travel in time.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.