Bank sends Police to my home to see if I'm still alive after I send letter!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I find this totally amusing.

About a two weeks ago I sent further letters to my Creditors,

one of whom is Nat West Bank,

the following week I get a knock on the door from two local police.

I had no idea why they were calling but eventually they said Nat West had contacted them and asked them to visit.

Why, you may ask. Well, in the letter I said that the debt was making me feel so stressed, depressed, etc., that I felt suicidal.

After chatting with the police for a couple of minutes, they left; as they went through the gate I said:

'See you next week then when you come back to check I'm still alive'.

I should say I have been paying £1 per month on a regular basis to each of my Creditors for the last year or so.

The letter was an update on my situation, and I have to say that of the two banks I owe money to Nat West have been the worst and most aggressive in their approach.

Still, I was able to see the funny side of this.

I should point out that I am definitely NOT suicidal,

I am just fighting their way, by giving them something to think about in return for their aggressive stance.

For those interested, or having similar problems, here is the guts of the letter I sent,

please note that this was the first time I asked them to consider righting the debt off; but doubt they will - worth a try though.

Also, the debt charity StepChange have been very helpful to me, as has this forum. Fight on folks!

:wink:

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam

I am in financial difficulties and not able to meet my normal monthly payments. I will make a monthly payment of whatever I can afford until more money is available.

I have enclosed my monthly budget and a list of creditors. After paying my household bills, I can pay you £1.00. I will pay this each month and tell you when my circumstances change.

Please consider reducing or stopping interest or any other charges on my account to help me during my financial difficulties.

NOTE: I have a long history of depression and am currently taking medication for this. The stress of all this is causing much distress, depression and panic attacks, leaving me feeling suicidal.

Please be advised that I will only communicate with you in writing.

Furthermore, should it be your intention to arrange a “doorstep call”, please be advised that under OFT rules, you can only visit me at my home if you make an appointment and I have no wish to make such an appointment with you.

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc., (Armstrong v Sheppard & Short Ltd [1959] 2 QB 384. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and, if you do so, you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

Yours faithfully

Perhaps a letter to their CEO at Head Office, thanking them for their concern, however you would find it more helpful if they were to ease off on the pressure and help you find a way out of your financial nightmare, instead of adding to it.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Comforting to know that Police have so much spare capacity that they can double up as mental health / social workers and , moreover, are clued up enough to judge accurately your state of mind just before you shut the door and hanged yourself.

Oh and btw requesting a write off generally doesn't work unless you're terminally ill, no assets, no estate and no relatives.

Thanks CitizenB that is a good point.

However, I just spoke with StepChange about it and was told that another person did this and the police turned up within a few hours and broke her door down!

So, I would not advise anyone to say anything about being 'suicidal' unless they were prepared for the possibility of the police turning up.

I only did it because I wanted to have a dig back at the banks.

StepChange also suggested it showed the banks were being 'caring'... and 'responsible'... hell yeh!

Oleg - I was told by StepChange that Lloyds Bank wrote the other woman's debt off after her visit!

So who knows.

I just thought it was worth a try, but only if someone is game enough and genuinely NOT really about to do it.

I have first hand experience of suicide as my hubby took his own life in 1998 at the age of 37 and left me to bring up 4 children aged between 4 and 12 all on my own!

SUICIDE IS DEFINITELY NOT THE WAY OUT OF DEBT, from one who knows the mess it leaves behind all too well.

Well she must have been exceptionally lucky. I have seen heart rending cases dismissed out of hand cos creditors sense they can still somehow squeeze another few drops out of the sponge.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Very brave of you in the circumstances to take the approach you did. Forgive my words if they were inappropriate but , of course, I wasn't aware of what had happened.

It's okay Oleg, I am now considering bankruptcy seriously though.

I have had to be strong, and that strength is unstoppable.

If I go bankrupt the banks will get nothing, as I have nothing they can take.

I rent my home from a Housing Association and have nothing of value.

Onward and upwards I say, and as a good mate once told me: 'Don't let the buggers get you down'. :lol:

Mrs Soup

Please list your debts, we can offer advice.

Creditor

Current owner if debt sold

Account type eg credit card

Date of inception

Payment status

Approx balance

We can take things from there.

Also pls confirm which part of the UK you live in.

If your debts are large enough to warrant bankruptcy but you have no assets, you can simply stop paying : they will never make you bankrupt if they'll get nothing out of you.

Mind you, your fan mail will increase.

Thank you Oleg, all is in hand.

I did post my debts on here some time ago, it will be still in the threads somewhere under my name. They total around £18 - £19k at the moment.

I'm happy giving them £1 each every month to keep them off my back for the moment.

I have support, and SSAFA (as my hubby was in the forces before his death) is currently looking to raise the bankruptcy fee for me from Charitable sources.

Will keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Thank you for your support. Fabulous forum and you have all been so helpful.

Oh and btw requesting a write off generally doesn't work unless you're terminally ill, no assets, no estate and no relatives.

Sadly even then it doesn't always work, they would rather hound you until the very last breath.. yours !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

ADVICE PLEASE

Today two letters arrived one from NatWest, the other from Lloyds Banks.

Lloyds Bank are asking for a GP to confirm that I am on anti-depressants and ask what exactly is the nature of my illness.

NatWest Bank's letter states that as they have been unable to come to a suitable arrangement with me they have passed my account details to Wescot Credit Services Ltd to act as a collection agent and they will now be dealing with my account.

So, what do you lovely people advise I do?

I am seriously considering going BR, but in the meantime what do I do?

My total debts across both banks are around £18k

Hello again Don't worry about Wescot. Just ignore their drivel, including letters purporting to come from a solicitor but in reality in-house. They can do nothing unless they have been assigned a debt , rather than just passed it to collect on a commission basis. I seriously question the wisdom of getting into a badminton match with Lloyds. They are not entitled to your medical notes but you did open the access gate. Personally I would ignore just as they will ignore anything inconvenient from you.

At the most I would offer to supply a supporting note from a medical professional if the bank are willing first to make a conditional offer of a write-off. But for heaven's sake don't hold your breath.

You did say yesterday that things are in hand, including raising the bankruptcy fee, so I thought you were almost sorted.

If the fee is likely to be imminent , no need to be responding to any non-priority creditor, except in the highly improbable event of a court claimform arriving.

Thank you Oleg.

I am working towards going bankrupt as I can't stand the hassle of all this any longer.

I do have someone looking for Charitable Funds to help with the BR costs, I know one offer has come in, just waiting to see if we can get the rest of it together.

To be honest, going BR will be a huge weight off my shoulders. My son has been seriously ill, though now on the road to improvement, and everything has just taken its toll on me.

I am self-employed and just can't focus on my work at all, and haven't been able to for a long while. Need a clean slate.

I take your advice, and thank you so much. I will ignore Westcot (been reading through the forum about them) should they write to me. It seems best to ignore any requests or letters from them altogether.

I will also ignore the request from Lloyds Bank, for now. Good point though. I will bear that in mind if things develop in any way from them. I don't particularly want to involve the GP etc., etc., It's none of Lloyds business at the end of the day, stuff them.

I have used letter templates off here to keep them all off my back for a long while now, the letters section is very helpful.

It's just really nice to receive some re-assurance from everyone on here. Good to know I'm not alone in all this. Your advice is always so helpful.

Fingers crossed that I can go BR and be rid of all this angst asap. Thank you so much for your reply Oleg, much appreciated.

If it makes you feel any better , I personally came under NINE rounds of mortar fire from Wescot - as well as fending off their assaults on others. At first it can feel intimidating - as is intended - but guess what, no permanent damage was caused.

't all came out in the wash.

My last tip for today , since alas I have other things to do now : at this stage of play , I wouldn't be firing off template letters without checking here for appropriacy. You have a specific objective and it would be a shame to blow it off course through a wrong letter.

Catch you later.