Massive fines for nuisance calls and texts

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Imposing fines of up to £500,000 on the companies behind cold calls and nuisance text messages is to become easier under changes to the law being made by the government.

The move follows tens of thousands of complaints about cold calling.

Currently, firms can only be punished if the Information Commissioner can prove a call caused "substantial damage or substantial distress".

But from 6 April, that legal requirement is to be removed.

More than 175,000 complaints were made to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) last year about nuisance calls and text messages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31616523

How about introducing legislation that prevents these companies from using anonymous dialling or faking the caller ID.

There is a call centre in Glasgow engaged in nuisance calling claiming to offer advice & help in accessing government funding for green energy (solar panels). Always from an anonymous number, they refuse to provide a valid business address, and deserve everything they get.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Ed Vazey Communications Minister has just been defending himself and his committee on Radio 4's You and Yours against the criticism that they should have provided a single hub through which people could complain.

He was also somewhat dismissive of the Fair Telecoms campaign, giving the impression that they are little other than a bunch of unconstructive moaners.

[Wonder what he makes of *us*?]

• 4 weeks later...

I expect this just pushes most of the activity offshore. I know things are seriously wrong because my wife will no longer answer the phone. Mobile or landline. She is that sick of cold callers.