style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1733 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Dear All

My wife works for a local authority, in a school, as a midday supervisor. It has just been half term but prior to this she was off for two days due to sickness. Also, when my wife was due to return to work, I was rushed into hospital, in an ambulance, with chest pains.

Fortunatley it was not a heart attack. However due to test etc my wife was up all night at the hospital and as a result not fit to go to work. The business manager has now sent her a text saying that the need a sick note as she has been off for two days before half term then a day after.

Is this correct? I feel that it is not as technically my wife was only of sick for two days prior to the half term but is not free to pick her own annual leave, so she cannot even choose to convert her holidays into sick leave as other employees are free to do, even though she was not sick. The other day should fall under a familly emergency. Am I right in thinking this?

Thank you in adanvce

OK it depends on if she followd their procedures correctly and also on what they are.

So she had 2 days off prior to her holiday. I am assuming (So correct me if wrong) that there were no working days between her sickness and her holiday.

Im then also assuming that there were no working days between her holiday and the "emergency leave"

*DID* she inform them that she was "fit to return to work" at the end of the 2 day sick?

IF NOT it is possible that they cancelled her holiday and the sickenss rolled through it in their eyes. As after all if you are sick, you are sick untill you tell them otherwise and return to work/take holiday.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I understand where you are coming from sabre sheep.

However, my wife contacted them, on the morning she was due to return, explaining why she wasn't going in. So as such she was fit to return to work but had encountered a familly emergency! Which is what she informed them of.

As for reporting over the holidays, this is not possible as it is a school and was shut for half term!

OK so she was off 2 days + half term sick is what I can see they have enterpreted the situation as being. Hense why they need the sick note. The emergency leave in this situation I believe is not part of why they need a sick note.

I am assuming the school has some sort of email or answerphone that could have taken a message informing fit to return to work to take holiday.

Unfortunately without knowing the schools absence procedures giving more detailed advice is unlikely to happen. BUT the above is the scenario I feel may be being played out.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.