charged with driving minibus +3.5 tons on cat B licence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have a category B driving licence for 8 years,

I did not know that I cannot drive a minibus more than 3.5 tons,

I was stopped by the police yesterday driving a charity minibus more than 3.5 tons.

The police are charging me for driving without valid licence as well as invalid insurance

but the charity organisation said there is a fleet insurance on the minibus.

Please advise me

wont help the weight limit issue mind

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Unfortunately I'm not sure we can.

Your licence does not cover you to drive it.

Plain and simple.

However, you may find the court is open to mitigating circumstances if you can get a letter from whoever authorised you to drive

saying that they thought you could (I am.assuming the charity hired you or borrowed you to drive it).

Probably won't work but I'm not sure what else you can do.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we can.

Your licence does not cover you to drive it.

Plain and simple.

However, you may find the court is open to mitigating circumstances if you can get a letter from whoever authorised you to drive

saying that they thought you could (I am.assuming the charity hired you or borrowed you to drive it).

Probably won't work but I'm not sure what else you can do.

Honestly I was doing for free as a volunteer, I was told I was covered and they have more than 3 Minibuses with different tons and they were not aware of this clause as well as myself

Driving otherwise in accordance with a license is of course, a strict liability offence (as is driving without insurance).

It is the responsibility of the driver to ensure that they hold the correct driving license for the category of vehicle being driven.

The no insurance charge, could be challenged if there was valid insurance in place to allow any driver to use the vehicle, most insurance certificates will state with regards to named or additional drivers;

"Those specified below, provided that the person driving holds a licence to drive the vehicle or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence."

Anyone who passed their category B car test after 1st January 1997 will not have D1 entitlement on their licence,

however, they may still drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats provided they satisfy each & all of the following points:

They are driving on behalf of a non-commercial body for social purposes but not for hire or reward (unless operating under a permit)

They have held a car (category B) licence for at least 2 years They are aged 21 years or older

They are providing their service on a voluntary (unpaid) basis

The minibus maximum weight does not exceed 3500kg (or 4250kg if fitted with accessible equipment designed for the carriage of passengers with disabilities or wheelchair users)

They are not towing a trailer

They are only driving the minibus in the U.K.

These requirements are above and beyond those which regulate drivers who passed their car test prior to 1st January 1997

and so there are many more considerations to take in to account for drivers that fall in to this category.

• Haha 1