threatened for wearing a t-shirt

Shaun_6873
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just had a thought

if they dont like your tee, why not try wearing leather harness and chaps for your next signing date?

or possibly a nice drag outfit

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Ok a few of my thoughts. I have a feeling i am about to upset both sides here.

1) To those who just tell the OP to change shirt. Feel ashamed of yourselves. You are indirectly at least supporting discrimination. As far as I am concerned, you are victim blaming. This is a slippery slope. "X deserved to get raped as she dressed like a tart" or "Muhammad deserved to be stabbed as he did not cross the road to avoid the pack of skinheads coming the other way" Thoughts like that DISGUST me!

2) We are here to help fellow members, as in this case, despite whatever opinions you have regarding sexuality, the OP is not doing anything wrong.

3) OP may very well be being provocative in your eyes. Im sorry, but in this case he has a right to do so. Although it is a path bound to be filled with complications stress and frustration, it is the OPs Legal right to follow.

4) Some gay people are very proud of who they are. And why should they not be. 2-3 decades ago being gay was illegal!! Even today people kill themselves than be who they really are. Things are inproving, but as far as im concerned, untill such a point comes where wearing a "GAY" shirt no longer raises eyebrows, there is still homophobia to br tackled. And if gay people never stepped into the lime light and begun campaigning many more people would be dead. So next time you think (As it is implied here) that the OP is rubbing it in others faces, walk a mile in the shoes of those gay people that existed 20-30 years ago, and then remember that those choosing to express who they are have a right to do so.

WHEN sexuality becomes a non issue, "rubbing it into other peoples faces" will cease to be an issue and will not happen

5) The complaint re: Jobcenter, Appeal the decision. State the words Maladministration.,

5) Sanction : As others have said, Demand to know WHAT was considered inappropriate. I would be tempted to reply in to that letter stating that as far as you are aware you were dressed appropriately and that no regulations or stipulations on your UC have been breached and challenge them to say where they have.

6) OP stop acting surprised when you meet resistance. As is your right to express yourself in the way you are, you need to understand the road is still bumpy. You are courting controversy. Think about what you want to achieve. And does it fit into your aims and objectives. By all means, carry on with your crusade, but appreciate that it is going to be riddled with complaints, appeals, sanctions and appeals and you will face financial hardship while you fight this. Just do nto act surprised that it will get rough. You knew it would be. Especially after last time.

7) Make sure you are recording all your appointments with JC+

• Haha 2

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I get where youre going with this however for all intensive purposes... I would wear something more subtle...

I would insist that whatever you do choose to wear, it MUST include fairy-lights and tinsel. :jaw:

You can discretely plug yourself into a free wall-socket when you are signing on.

This will be sure to impress.

Be sure to carry a few pine-fresh car-fresheners to exude that sense of clean, snowy fjord air.

If you feel that you are being discriminated against because of your sexuality, I would be inclined to contact Stonewall http://www.stonewall.org.uk/what_we_do/information/10911.asp who should be able to advise you properly and put you in touch with people who can help.

In England advise is a verb (a doing word) advise/advising/advised, advice is a noun. I might ask for advice or give advice.

The same with license (verb) license/licensing/licensed, but one would have a driving licence (noun).

All fun aside, the DWP are not supposed to discriminate against anyone based on their race, creed or colour. In an employment situation, we can add age and sexual preference.

Maybe you could ask this woman to print out a hard-copy of the DWPs equality documentation, and you could offer to go through this with her.

In the years that i claimed unemployment benefit It was a rarity to see anyone who was signing on smartly dressed,in the job centre because if you have been living on the pittance they pay each week for any great length of time chances are that you won't have smart clothes to wear, or be in a financial position to afford to buy such clothing, it would be a struggle replacing clothing when it's worn out ,Long gone are the days of clothing grants yes grants not loans

You know what.. There are bigger issues facing people today than what t shirt they have on.

Does it really matter that just for a few minutes people don't know you are gay? You may be proud of your sexuality but it's not the only thing you are- you are someone's son, a friend all sorts of things that your sexuality has nothing to do with.

Why not stick to fights about something that matters other than a t shirt?

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

You know what.. There are bigger issues facing people today than what t shirt they have on.

Does it really matter that just for a few minutes people don't know you are gay? You may be proud of your sexuality but it's not the only thing you are- you are someone's son, a friend all sorts of things that your sexuality has nothing to do with.

Why not stick to fights about something that matters other than a t shirt?

You are right, there are other important matters than what someone has on their t shirt. So it should not matter. Stop being an apologist for discrimination. See my last post on here, in those "scenarios" those victims would of been someones child, a friend and all sorts of things. YET you would not expect the victim to be blamed.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

You are right, there are other important matters than what someone has on their t shirt. So it should not matter. Stop being an apologist for discrimination. See my last post on here, in those "scenarios" those victims would of been someones child, a friend and all sorts of things. YET you would not expect the victim to be blamed.

I'm not apologising for discrimination. Who says it is? Are there graphics on the t shirt?

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

I saw Colin's reply, of course I washed my t-shirts, I have 25 of these in different colours and I wear a different colour at my appointments.

I don't even have 25 shirts in my clothes drawer, let alone the same one in so many different colours, WOW! Bonkers thread but loving it.

I'm not apologising for discrimination. Who says it is? Are there graphics on the t shirt?

There are no graphics on the shirt nor is it any more inappropriate than other clothes worn by other claimants. The only difference is that the shirt says that the claimant is gay.....

Therefore discrimination. If it did not mention the word gay there would be no confrontation.

ALSO there is no regulations JSA or otherwise regarding "Appropriate Clothing"

ALSO as a result of wearing this shirt the claimant is facing a sanction.

You are apologizing for an act of discrimination.

Why is this thread still going... Can be solved in 30 seconds...

---> Close Thread ---> OP wears a different shirt, preferably one plain or not to expressive. ---> No problem from JCP Staff

I get it, the OP is entitled to wear what he likes and im the same. I wear ones that say i drink beer with your mum etc... Im a wrestling fan, but when i need to go somewhere a bit more important always plain / not-too-expressive etc

I side with both the OP and also JCP staff... OP save yourself the hassle dude... Wear something more suitable :)

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

SabreSheep,

I agree, even my mates saying the same thing you said that if my t-shirt didn't have the word gay on my t-shirt then Job Centre advisors wouldn't have a problem, all my mates saying I should be able to wear what I want, they even said this is homophobic.

What if my t-shirt says the following: (NOBODY KNOWS I'M A MILLIONAIRE) bet they wouldn't mind my t-shirt then, it's pathetic this!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3320 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks