threatened for wearing a t-shirt

Shaun_6873
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Renegadeimp,

Why an earth would I be doing it deliberately? I also contacted a few solicitors last week but they can't help me as they not involved with benefit things but they did state that I should be able to wear what I want at my appointments and some said it sounds like discrimination and you should go to your local papers.

It does sound very much like you are doing this on purpose.

Antone,

It states on the letter the following: You were told that you must dress appropriately when attending Job Centre appointments, You should tell us why you did not do this, if you don't have a good reason for doing this then your universal credit payments will be cut or sanctioned.

Antone,

It states on the letter the following: You were told that you must dress appropriately when attending Job Centre appointments, You should tell us why you did not do this, if you don't have a good reason for doing this then your universal credit payments will be cut or sanctioned.

is this letter the response to your complaint? or was this the threat of the sanction?

it is hard to follow without knowing the full content of the complaint and response

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

have you asked them to provide a clear definitive list of what is considered appropriate clothing and inappropriate clothing for signing on?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Sparks,

Why should I wear a Jacket? everyone else can wear all sorts of t-shirts but not me, I think they picking on me because it has the word gay on my t-shirt.

I think you have developed a bee in the bonnet outlook! You really think they are out to just get you? They are out to get everyone they can, give them an inch and they will take a mile! Dont try to antagonise them as they will sanction you for the least little thing they can, all you have to do is play their game for 10 mins a fortnight then go on with what you want to do!

Antone,

OK. Well, as I see it, you have a couple of options:

1) Challenge any sanction that is imposed and also seek legal advice if you genuinely feel that the treatment you are receiving is discriminatory. Note that the mere fact that your tshirt mentions your sexuality is not in itself sufficient evidence to prove any kind of discrimination. For example, it may well be that the same adviser would deem a tshirt that read "I like boobies" to be equally inappropriate. If you choose to make an issue out of this you could find yourself without money for a long period of time while it all gets resolved, with no guarantee of success.

2) Wear a different tshirt.

Note this: I am not trying to justify discrimination if that is what is happening. But you need to think very carefully about what hills you choose to die on, because proving discrimination is not a trivial task.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

i do not really understand why such a t-shirt is inappropriate for the purposes of signing on, unless: -

1. there is a possibility that an employer will be interviewing in the jobcentre on that day
  2. there is a possibility that you could get a job interview arranged that day

if either of the above apply, i can understand the issue, but then the same issue would therefore apply to people arriving in scruffy unwashed clothes, etc

i would be really tempted to ask for list of appropriate and inappropriate clothing

one other thought, was there any mention of appropriate clothing in your Jobseeker Ageement or whatever the equivalent is under UC (claimant conditionality?)

Id6052,

I 100% agree with you on your post, if an interview is taking place that day when some claimants are signing on and he/she is wearing dirty clothes, trackies, trainers, t-shirts with cartoons on, football, Batmat etc then them are not suitable for a Job Interview so why just me getting picked on with my t-shirt while anyone else can wear all sorts of different t-shirts.

This is the bit I am confused!

my only other thought is that, if you have been wearing what is substantively the same t-shirt (all be it in a rainbow of colours) for 3 years, maybe the adviser has concerns that your limited sartorial elegance may in some way be creating a barrier to you finding sustainable employment?

• Haha 1

was there any mention of appropriate clothing in your Jobseeker Ageement or whatever the equivalent is under UC (claimant conditionality?)

well done on getting a job with Boohoo (not quite sure what that is) - pity it did not last longer, so you would not be dealing with JC+ again

out of interest, did you wear your t-shirt(s) to work each day at Boohoo?

not wanting to be too nosey, if i am just say so, but can i ask why you wear the same sloganned t-shirt so often?

is it a gay pride thing?

is it a way to pick up men?

maybe, you should try others like

i'm not gay but my boyfriend is

does this t-shirt make me look gay

i'm so gay i can't even think straight

a good man is hard to find, a hard man is good to find

http://rlv.zcache.co.uk/rainbow_flag_and_keep_calm_and_carry_on_tshirt-r9dfaf61e5e034702a6a934cad33dbac3_va6lr_324.jpg

i think last one would do well for signing on

• Confused 1

Why not try to dress smart in the hope of finding a job and not just to "sign on".

That's ridiculous. Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work.

If it sounds like I'm being sarcastic here, I assure you I am not.

• Haha 1

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

id6052,

Nah, it's fine, I wear the same slogan because if I don't wear it then no one will know, you can't tell if I am gay because I am 100% straight acting (sorry, if that's saying annoys you) but it's true.

I also wear it because I am proud of my sexuality, I got nothing to be ashamed about.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3325 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks