BT charging for 'free' caller display

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3276 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Do you have a BT line rental which you pay annually in advance?

As part of the deal the caller display service is free, but BT have still been been charging many customers £1.75 a month.

Some customers who complained have been received a full refund, others have been refused.

Cue weasel words from BT who claim that the customer has to request the free service not just once, but each year.

In other words, if you don't ask for the free service, even if you're eligible for it, you won't get it.

Shame on you BT.

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/spend-save/simon-read-bts-caller-display-service-is-free-but-you-must-say-you-want-it-for-free-or-youll-be-charged-10060656.html

I spotted that earlier this year when I switched to sky

complained and got 18mths of it back

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

typical bt. 'stealth charges' as said in the link #1. maybe them trying to recover costs for their recent ventures? eg bt sport, ee, .... :)

what also annoys is that there is a charge for a witheld number/anon call reject service, yet its free for callers to withold their number!

Thanks for this - just managed to get a refund of the last 18 months charges.

You wouldn't believe how difficult BT are making it though - anyone would have thought I was demanding thousands!

I don't get their reasoning at all. On what basis do you justify charging someone for NOT renewing a service?

Actual wording from the original 'order' -

BT Privacy with Caller Display - see who's calling before answering. You'll get it free for a year because you've agreed to renew your line rental for 12 months. After 12 months, BT Privacy with Caller Display will be £1.75 a month unless you renew your line rental again.

No mention there of having to renew manually!

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I rang them and

after about 30 mins they said they would reinstate my free caller display and refund from august when I paid advanced line rental.

Not sure whether they had charged for earlier periods.

I find it amazing they are prepared to use underhand tactics to get a few more quid.

They are going to lose customers if they are not careful .

I have had a line with them since 1982 and I shall certainly look into whether to continue when my current contract expires.

Did you know that they charge you for not using your phone when you have the 24/7 free calls package.

Thats like paying for a train season ticket and being charged for not catching any trains amazing!!!.

Living in the wild windy west of Ireland

I rang them and after about 30 mins they said they would reinstate my free caller display and refund from august when I paid advanced line rental.Not sure whether they had charged for earlier periods.I find it amazing they are prepared to use underhand tactics to get a few more quid.They are going to lose customers if they are not careful .I have had a line with them since 1982 and I shall certainly look into wether to continue when my current contract expires.Did you know that they charge you for not using your phone when you have the 24/7 free calls package.Thats like paying for a train season ticket and being charged for not catching any trains amazing!!!.

Yes, it would appear that BT are hell-bent on making money for nothing these days!

Has anyone experienced their "usage monitor" shenanigans?

Ambiguous wording, silly conversations with an online call-centres, overblown charges... all in a normal day's work for BT!

I must admit I didn't know about the caller display ripoff - this is highly necessary nowadays.

Does it still apply if you don't answer?:-x

even before bt were 'stealthy', there had to be min calls to get the service 'free'. so wasnt quite 'free' then.

eg http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2519323/MPs-slam-BTs-decision-charge-caller-ID.html

ps, at least the nuisance calls issue seems to be now being addressed. still need to address this anon/witheld/fake id issue though. eg charging people for the reject service when its free and easy for callers to withold their number. if you're looking in bt, mp's :)

I operate my own personalised 'reject' system. If the number isn't in my phone's memory then I don't answer. Any genuine caller will leave a message and then it's up to me if I call back. Of course for this to work I have to have caller ID .....

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I operate my own personalised 'reject' system. If the number isn't in my phone's memory then I don't answer. Any genuine caller will leave a message and then it's up to me if I call back. Of course for this to work I have to have caller ID .....

similar. i use the phonebook only thingy on the phone. all other calls dont ring and go to the answer phone.

one prob is there are some genuine witheld calls eg nhs who are not generally allowed to leave a message afaik.

i still think that their reject service, which tells callers to redial with caller id, shld also be free, partic as witholding is free.

Just checked my bills and see they've been charging me since January 2014 so went on live chat and they refunded me straight away - I didn't even have to threaten to leave or anything!

Thanks for the heads-up - the money will really come in handy

• 4 weeks later...

Update - received the latest bill expecting the refund for caller display and it's a whole £1.69, i.e. just refund of the advance charges paid from the date I complained. Having explored BT's customer forums, it seems this is common because the frontline staff cannot process the rest of the refund. I've contacted BT again with a copy of the Live Chat transcript offering me a full refund, so we shall see what happens next.

RMW

Have tweeted this again :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 1 month later...

I've finally received my full refund of the 'free' caller display charges. Unfortunately on the same bill I'm now being charged for BT Sport, again because I haven't renewed it to get it free!

In this instance, we actually had the HD version but cancelled 9 months ago when the son moved out. So now I'm being charged for something I don't want and have even cancelled because I haven't asked for it for free! BT seriously need to sort out their charging policies! Will they be charging me for not asking for a second phone line next?

RMW