Bought a car, then its gone missing!...... **Found**

J4g3d
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3345 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well this could turn nasty so i wanted to get some heads up opinions here first.

me and a family member decided to go down a new venture and purchase 3 or so cars from a car auction.

We turned up in person and paid them in reception for a few cars.

We arrange a recovery guy to collect them and drop them at our desired locations.

1st car collected and dropped off fine.

2nd car the recovery guy calls me and says his truck cannot handle the weight of the vehicle

so he will have to skip that one and do the last one which was delivered fine.

Straight away i have called the auction company and told them is the particular vehicle out the front they said yes,

i said can i keep it there until i arrange someone to collect it.

They said yes how long.

I said maximum 2 days,

they said yes thats fine we'll leave it there no problems.

The next day i have called them to get a quote for them to deliver the vehicle themselves

as i was having a nightmare finding someone who would do the job at a reasonable price (quotes were £100 for 22 miles!!!)

the auction company said it would cost about £35,

i said fantastic the car is out the front of your offices

please double check and i'll go for that.

They said fine they'll locate the vehicle and call me back to sort it out.

I got a call back saying there is no vehicle there.

The vehicle is not out the back (with the other 1000 or 2000 other cars they have)

nor in the front where the recovery guy i used said the auctions staff parked it up next to reception.

I have literally called them 4 times a day as they never call me back when they say and they have yet to locate the vehicle.

On their systems it is showing as being released

(because

1. i paid for it and

2. the recovery guy i used initially gave the paperwork/receipt for the vehicle to the staff member

who located the vehicle and gave it to my recovery guy)

which then in turn said it cannot go on his trailer.

To make matters worse this auction company leave all car keys attached to the steering wheel on a string.

Apparently the yard where the vehicle was left (at the front) does have gates which do get locked..etc)

So could i get some opinions on this?

in the worst case scenario, some truck has come and pinched the car from the auction companies property. But

1. Is it my responsibility as i paid for it and initially collected it but then did not take it away (my recovery guy)

or

2. Is it their responsibility as its on their land and under their control.

I have not got this vehicle insured as not once have they issued me with the reg plate number

so if this is pinched the only thing i can do is turn to this auction company.

I hope in the next few days i can repost here and say the vehicle was located

but as its been 2 or 3 days already im really doubting the vehicle is no longer in their possession and has been pinched.

I am a bit lost here, help?

Hi,

Others will be along more than likely now tomorrow to help as best they can.

In the mean time, you have paid for the vehicle so I would report this as stolen to the Police.

Stigman

NEVER telephone a DCA

If a DCA rings you, refuse to go through the security questions & hang up!

If I have helped you, click on the star & say thank you

From my reading of your post it does not look good, you have paid for the car and collected it (all be it a third party operating on your behalf) and then have left the car possibly with the keys still in it outside of the auction site. I don't think that the auction house would have any duty of care for the car. As the Stigman says report it stolen.

It is easier to enter a rich man than for a camel to pass a needle

Firstly, report the matter to the Police. Your vehicle has been stolen. The auction house are not liable as you have paid for the vehicle and taken control of the keys. Being in the motor trade myself, £100 is not unreasonable to transport a heavy vehicle for 22 miles. Don't forget, it's 22 miles back again for the truck. The fuel used and the driver's wages will add up to this amount. If you can find a recovery company willing to do a 44 mile round trip for £35, let me know and I will use them for my recovery work !

From my reading of your post it does not look good, you have paid for the car and collected it (all be it a third party operating on your behalf) and then have left the car possibly with the keys still in it outside of the auction site. I don't think that the auction house would have any duty of care for the car. As the Stigman says report it stolen.

Good news finally! it looks like i had spent 2 days or so and spoken to 3 incompetent staff members. I now have confirmation the vehicle IS out the front still and have since put it around the back under lock and key. all sorted now! phew!!

Firstly' date=' report the matter to the Police. Your vehicle has been stolen. The auction house are not liable as you have paid for the vehicle and taken control of the keys. Being in the motor trade myself, £100 is not unreasonable to transport a heavy vehicle for 22 miles. Don't forget, it's 22 miles back again for the truck. The fuel used and the driver's wages will add up to this amount. If you can find a recovery company willing to do a 44 mile round trip for £35, let me know and I will use them for my recovery work ![/quote']

£100 is very expensive! i have since got a quote from the auction company for £27 for delivery of the vehicle in question 22 miles away which is a bargain and a huge saving compared to £100 from a local recovery guy. We also use many others for £30 to £40 (tops). In fact i paid £180 for delivery from newcastle to london almost. So yea, you need to shop around you'll get your recoveries cheaper.