Sickness Review Meeting

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3332 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have been signed off work with anxiety and depression for a month. My manager keeps calling and asking me how I'm feeling. He now wants to meet with me to discuss my sickness. I find it very difficult to talk about my problems and have a feeling he just wants me back to work as soon as possible. I do not feel ready to go back to work yet and my doctor has advised me to take some time to get better hence why he signed me off for a month. My question is, can my manager force me to come back to work before the end of my sick note ? Will it look bad if I say I'd rather not come back to work until the end of my sick note?. Also when discussing my illness, can I just say I don't want to talk about it or do I have to have a through discussion?. I am a very private person and don't feel comfortable talking about my life with people, especially work.

I have not had a sick day for the last 5 years and am just so worried. Any advice would be very well appreciated, thank you.

Liyanne

Hello there. I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

The experts should be along later, but I don't think you can be made to go back to work while you have a valid 'sick note'.

I know what depression and anxiety do to you, you don't want to speak to anyone and discussing what's wrong with you is really difficult. Your manager could be trying to do the right thing but may not understand mental illness. Let's see what the guys think. :)

Hugs, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Your employer cannot require you to return to work if your absence is GP certified. They are, however, entitled to make reasonable contact with you to discuss your absence, and are entitled to sufficient information from you to manage your absence and reassure themselves that the reason is genuine.

I understand that you may not wish to discuss the intricacies of your condition with your employer, but an outright refusal to discuss the cause would be likely to be unreasonable - if you cannot fulfil your contractual duties, your employer is entitled to know why.

That said, a formal meeting when you have only been off for a month may be a little premature - if you are returning at the end of the note then a return to work meeting should fulfil the above purpose. If you are signed off for a further period though, I would expect the employer to start making further enquiries into your prognosis.

Also to help you, I reccomend you contact your union rep, or if not in one, join one. Can be done online!

They can support you through the process.

Just remember, How can an employer help you if he does not understand how to. How does he understand how to, if you do not help him understand.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

You should not go back to work before the expity of your sick note because to do so means that you are not covered by your company insurance amongst other things. Is there anyone in your organisation who you can speak to to act as your intermediary so the manager is asured that you are doing everything you can to get better as quickly as possible without having to travel and speak in person? It is not reasonable for your manager to keep phoning you when they have a date for your return but I think that they are unsure how to manage your absence so possibly speaking to someone higher up as the point of contact without it looking like you are circumventing his position would reassure them that their abilities to manage are not being questioned..

Hi guys,

Thank you for your advice on this matter, much appreciated.

Unfortunately I don't feel comfortable talking to the senior manager so will now join the union. My manager is obviously being insensitive towards my situation. I suppose I was hesitant about having depression on my work file but seems like I don't have a choice.

Liyanne

The union will advise you to be open and honest so joining one so as not to answer questions won't be of much help also for the union to best support you ,you will need to discuss your issues with the rep It is advisable to be in a union for support and guidance.

Bill

All information given above is purely my own opinion. Some based on personal experience. Where backed up by case files I will make that known. However, until then please take all of what I say with a pinch of salt and accept it only as a reference. :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin:

Hi guys,

I have a sickness review meeting in 2 weeks with work because I have been off sick for a couple of weeks.

I have been suffering with anxiety and depression but have always kept this to myself. I called my manager and he told me he wants to discuss my sickness, what caused it and how long I've been feeling unwell. I am now worried I have to discuss my personal issues with work and be judged. The last thing I want my boss to know is about my personal life. Will they ask me for full details of my sickness and what caused it ? How much detail of my sickness do I have to discuss or disclose ? I'm so upset because I feel there's no such thing as privacy and work might use this against me to make me look incompetent and as if I'm not able to perform my job.

Thank you for your advice.

Hi! Please try not to fret. the return to work interview is a nomal thing most employers do if you are off for more than a day or two (and some employers if you are off even for a day)

Questions are usually "are you fit to be back" and "do you need anything." If you have depression and your fitnote says that, he may want to see if there are ways to support you staying in work.

You should think about if the illess is made worse by anything in work. Of oucrse you have the option of saying it was something at home, and you feel better now; but I would err on the side of honesty.

They certainly won't need (or probably be interested in) a blow by blow account f every event on your life leading to anxiety; and you do not have to discuss past history.

They may suggest an occ health referal, again to get advice on support you may need. I woud take them up on that if offered.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Thank you for your very helpful responses.

I think I need to swallow my pride and just try to be open about how I've been feeling. My worry is that management will judge me due to my ill health and that they will think I won't be capable of performing my job. Oh well, I suppose whatever's meant to happen will happen.

If you need support, then you need it. It's a shame some people are areses about mental health; many are far more enlightened. I am crossing my fingers you will be pleasantly surprised at having a good one!

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

dont panic

i had nearly 8 months off due to "tempory physcosis"

im still employed at the same company (although banned from sharp objects)

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Hi guys,

I had my sickness review meeting today and just wanted to update you all.

The outcome of the meeting was that my absence is having an effect on the team and that from now on my sickness will be monitored. My manager more or less then told me that I really need to think about applying for a different job because he doesn't think I enjoy or care about my work. He really wanted to push me into a corner and was provoking me so much with the intention of getting me to resign. Getting sick is obviously not allowed in my workplace. I almost broke down because he kept interrogating me about my life and why it is I have been off sick and what triggered. He doesn't believe how much work has affected me. I can honestly say it was the worst moment of my life.

I am now even more depressed because I know for sure he doesn't like me. I keep asking myself whether I should hand in my notice or grind my teeth and just bear it. There's nothing worse than knowing that your manager wants you out and will probably try everything to get me to leave it :-(