style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have been a member of my local DW Sports gym for around 2 years. I cancelled my DD with my last payment being 3rd Nov without letting the gym know. I did not attend my gym after September due to a knee problem that i was/am struggling with.

Yesterday I received my first correspondence from the gym through "Major Law" in which it claims that they have prepared a county court claim and is ready to be issued against me. They also claim to have contacted me "previous correspondence sent to me by ARC" which i have not had one single letter.

I find it pretty disgusting that I've been delivered this bill for £164.64 after being a loyal customer for 2 years and had no prior warning before getting this threat.

Debt Balance £83 - I dont understand because it is more than my monthly membership cost x2

Court fee £25 - ??

Solicitors Costs £50 - ??

Annual Interest £6.64 ??

--------------------

Total £164.64

This is downright robbery. I am shocked and appalled that they play these moves.

what can i do??? I've had a little look round the forum at similar cases but I've not come across one where the victim has been registered at the gym for a long time and cancelled the dd without notice. I have seen that people have sent letters informing DW of their intention to leave which DW have never claimed to receive.

Please help me guys, i really dont want to pay £160 for DW dont deserve it. The gym i attended has got gradually worse and worse with over subscription, poor maintenance and moody staff.

Thanks

How very misleading and you really need to be reporting them to the FCA.

Have a look at your contract, and it should tell you how to go about cancelling your gym membership.

Usually you will have to give them one months notice, which means you will pay them one final months membership of whatever the monthly fee was, and they will then cancel.

IMO, all you owe is one months fee, none of the other inflated profit they are looking to make.

Deal direct with the gym, IN WRITING, and offer them one months payment and cancel the contract.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Hi Maertn and welcome to CAG

See other threads here for examples of similar cases.

Majorlaw have not sent you a bill - they have said would you could have to pay if they take court action (which they won't). They are still suggesting you pay the lower amount that ARC is allegedly demanding. However, ARC's figures will include admin fees which we always say you should challenge.

I think you should have given a clear months notice and paid a final months fee, rather than cancelling the DD mandate without warning.

You could adapt the letter here to make ARC a time-limited offer - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?441527-Harlands-Gym-Etc-membership-cancellation.&p=4695016&viewfull=1#post4695016

I would also write a quick reply to Majorlaw saying :-

I refer to your letter of 16th February.

You are wrong in what you say. ARC Europe have not contacted me at all.

In any event, the amounts which ARC are apparently demanding will include unlawful and unenforceable penalty fees and these will not be paid.

If you bother me again, I will include Majorlaw in my formal complaint to Trading Standards and the SRA.

I have contacted ARC but will not contact you further.

If ARC fail to accept your offer of a month's fee, you can then decide whether to correspond with them any further. Post a draft of your letter to ARC here, if you want us to check it before you send it.

Keep us updated.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)