style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello.

I am currently getting income based JSA for about 1 year now. I stay with my mum, But all of a sudden my mum is saying i need to pay £27 towards to rent as the council will only pay £109. So why now do i need to pay.

I have a brother who gets ESA, and my mum gets income support.

What are causing the housing benefit deduction, My brother only started claiming ESA this year in march, And all of a sudden the housing benefit is cut.

So could someone help me because i am getting the impression the cut is because of me but i have been getting jsa for around a year and my mum has been getting full housing benefit since untill now.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably a non-dependent deduction. Basically, as your mother has another adult living with her (you) then her HB is reduced by some amount.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Your Mum should not be charged a non dependant deduction for either you or your brother, as you both are on income based ESA or JSA. Your Mum should appeal the non dependant deduction and provide proof of you and your brothers benefit awards.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Your Mum should not be charged a non dependant deduction for either you or your brother, as you both are on income based ESA or JSA. Your Mum should appeal the non dependant deduction and provide proof of you and your brothers benefit awards.

Of course, non-dep charge doesn't apply if the non-dep is on an income based benefit, right?

Sorry to the OP for duff advice.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

It varies, some LA's are now charging small amounts. What area are you in OP? Your deduction rates should be available online. For instance, now expect some people on benefits to pay a little towards the rent out of their benefit if they are over 25

I am in scotland. North ayrshire.

if you brother is on main phase ESA, there will be a deduction of £13.60 for him

there is no deduction if you are receiving jsa(ib) and under 25

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

if you brother is on main phase ESA, there will be a deduction of £13.60 for him

there is no deduction if you are receiving jsa(ib) and under 25

If that's the case, OP you need to point out that it is your brother that needs to be paying towards the rent out of his ESA and you don't have to. However it would be reasonable for her to expect you to contribute towards bills. And your own food.

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently on JSA and have been for sometime now. i am getting sick of them. I was recently asked into a review i went, i didn't have bank statements so had to reschedule. I am extremely angry that they want to see my bank statements for a full month if i don't i get sanctioned.

I have to even email my CV to the advisor so she can see what format i use(ridiculous or what) what is the point of universal job match, My account has my CV and my full list of job searches and where i went, Why cant they use this.

Do i need to give them a reason to sign off and how i would get by. And how long does it take before i can sign on after signing off. And do i need to tell them what i done during the period i signed off?

Also does getting cashback from Quidco count as income and would DWP be annoyed for not telling them.

Thanks

Edited by pcombo

my daughter had all this, she really had got to the stage where she wanted them off her back, she decided to work for herself and got some local cleaning work a few hours a week and almost earning the same she was getting on jsa. She went to her usual signing on and said she wanted to sign off, was going self employed from the next day, they asked her why and what she was going to do but she said she didn't wish to discuss it and could she just sign off please, she knew she didn't have to tell them anything and they didn't push it, they signed her off and she got her money as usual for that time period upto signing, she manages better now without the stress of the no job knobcentre. They did say she could sign on again if things don't work out........she hasn't yet lol and hopefully wont have to.

my daughter had all this, she really had got to the stage where she wanted them off her back, she decided to work for herself and got some local cleaning work a few hours a week and almost earning the same she was getting on jsa. She went to her usual signing on and said she wanted to sign off, was going self employed from the next day, they asked her why and what she was going to do but she said she didn't wish to discuss it and could she just sign off please, she knew she didn't have to tell them anything and they didn't push it, they signed her off and she got her money as usual for that time period upto signing, she manages better now without the stress of the no job knobcentre. They did say she could sign on again if things don't work out........she hasn't yet lol and hopefully wont have to.

Isn't that what the government are trying to do by making it so uncomfortable and demeaning that many will walk away from a life on benefits and actually do some work? And in your daughter's case, it has achieved what it was set out to do.

I also hear that 10% of those faced with the 'bedroom tax' have now signed off ESA/JSA and gone back to work.

Maybe by being nice to people actually did nothing to encourage them away from benefits - the 'big wooden stick' seems to be doing the trick.

Isn't that what the government are trying to do by making it so uncomfortable and demeaning that many will walk away from a life on benefits and actually do some work? And in your daughter's case, it has achieved what it was set out to do.

I also hear that 10% of those faced with the 'bedroom tax' have now signed off ESA/JSA and gone back to work.

Maybe by being nice to people actually did nothing to encourage them away from benefits - the 'big wooden stick' seems to be doing the trick.

Cite?

The land of Walter M.

Quite.

Well, to actually answer the question, OP, you can sign off whenever you like and you do not have to give a reason. Complete and return the appropriate section of your ESA40 signing on card. It does ask for a reason, but you can just leave that blank if you prefer.

There's no time limit when it comes to reclaiming - you can sign back on the next day if you like. Just bear in mind that if you do reclaim within a set period of time (is it 13 weeks? I'm not sure about JSA rules) then your new claim will "link" to the old one and will be treated as a continuation of the previous one. When you sign back on they will ask you how you supported yourself and if you decline to answer they may not process your claim.

bedofweeds...........the reason my daughter was on jsa was through no fault of her own, secondly she continued to sign as she actually believed all the BS that the nojob knobcentre filled her head with, that they and the work programme would get her trained and help her get a job, none of which happened......after wasting time and given up on the help that is spoke of but doesn't happen, she signed off and is cleaning while studying, it seems there are courses out there but they elude the work programme providers, at least the courses of much use, the ones they provide are more suitable for the comedy awards.

I went back to job centre 25/10/2013 today.

I showed my bank statements as requested but they high lighted a 3 transactions 3 of which my friend sent me money as a loan, I am wondering what can they do about this towards me, and what can they do to him he doesn't claim anything from DWP so why are they highlighting his payments.

I believe that money lent to you counts as capital, not income. Does it take your total savings over £6000?

oh no it no where near £6000.

My friend lent me around £350 because i was moving house last month, But i am abit concerned why they highlighted the transactions on my bank statements i said to her and i was thats fine, But just curious to why they are marked as if they want to check it out more.

Cite?

The figures were revealed by Harry Phibbs, a Tory councillor, in an investigation for the ConservativeHome website. He surveyed councils across the UK and 141 responded.

In their areas, 25,238 of the 233,732 people stripped of the spare bedroom subsidy – or nearly 11 per cent – were no longer claiming any benefits.

article-2469751-0C267AEF00000578-348_306x423.jpg Figures show the move has encouraged thousands to look for work

Mr Phibbs said that extended across the UK, it would be the equivalent of 71,000 out of the 660,000 claimants predicted to be affected stopping claiming benefits.

‘Before this change it wasn’t rewarding for people to work,’ he said. ‘This is giving people a reward for working – they are able to stay in their homes rather than downsizing into a smaller home.

‘Because work is now being rewarded, many people are coming off benefits altogether and getting full-time jobs

They need to know where your money is coming from - that's just a condition of claiming income-based benefits. They could be concerned that you are earning money you haven't declared.

If the money is a loan, it will be counted as capital and should not affect your benefits since it hasn't taken your savings over £6000.