ARC - David Lloyd Cancellation Problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2313 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!

Read a lot of threads and I think I know by now that ARC are a pain and should be ignored most of the time, but I'd like to get some quick advice on my situation to be assured that I do not need to pay up!

I joined David Lloyd in September 2014 - signed a year contract however made it clear that I would be soon getting a new job in another gym where I would receive a free membership. The Membership advisor said that was fine I just needed to prove it with an acceptance letter from my new job and they would cancel my year contract no problem.

I started my new job late November 2014 and in December 2014 I wrote a letter to David Lloyd attaching my acceptance letter from my new job.

I then get a voice-mail from a membership advisor at David Lloyd in January 2015 saying they received my cancellation request in December and the general manager had said it was fine to cancel however as a "good will gesture" wanted me to pay for January's membership fee? I had not entered the gym since I started the new job and I see no reason why I should pay another month's membership. I told them that as it was just a "good will gesture" I kindly decline this and requested my details to be taken off the system and not to be contacted as my membership was no longer with them.

I now have a letter from ARC demanding I pay £440!! I have no idea where that figure has come from - and I personally don't feel I need to pay. I work in a gym myself and I am pretty certain that the membership team at David Lloyd haven't done my cancellation process quick enough so January payment has come out now they want me to pay £440 for their mistake?

If anyone can help I'd be so grateful! Do I ignore ARC or ring and tell them the situation? Or ring David Llloyd?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Alice and welcome to CAG

The m/ship advisor told you that you could cancel when you started the new job, and you agreed to join DL for that reason. It is, at least, encouraging that DL are accepting the cancellation and wanted just the one further payment. Others here have far worse problems with DL and their demands for 3 months fees to cancel !

If you gave notice to cancel in Dec'r 14 after the Dec'r fee was paid, I'd expect you would pay the Jan 15 fee as a month's notice.

Did DL take the Jan 15 fee by the old DD mandate ? If so, I'd say that's an end to the matter.

However, ARC will not see it that way. They'll want you to pay whatever they think you owe including all their stupid admin fees. We always tell CAGgers not to pay any admin fees as they are unlawful and unenforceable. So please don't worry about the ridiculous amounts they're demanding. We'll help you with this.

Do not call DL for now, or ARC. Keep everything in writing only and, if ARC call you, tell them, "In writing only." and then hang up !

If you haven't yet cancelled the DD mandate to DL, do this immediately. Check that they haven't taken any further amount in Feb 15.

Let us know if the Jan DD was paid and we'll take it from there.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thank you for replying so quickly!

I know and to be honest I wish I just paid the extra month if I knew I'd get an ARC £440 bill! I've just had such trouble with them I got fed up - it was the last straw asking for an extra month as a good will gesture?!

I cancelled my direct debit after I cancelled my membership, I assume they tried to take January and it bounced back hense me then technically "owing" them money!

If it comes down to paying that extra month to end it all then so be it, but there's no way I should be paying £440 - I also received another voicemail recently telling me that if I didn't pay the January fee then I would have to pay for February too! This surely just shows the MA hasn't cancelled quick enough and I know they get charged themselves hense asking me to pay for their slow staff.

I would love to avoid big ARC blokes turning up at my door with intimidation techniques but I really feel like I don't owe them any money as I've cancelled within what they seem acceptable terms.

If I ignore the lot is anything going to go any further?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Alice,

Your actions are NOT the reason ARC are demanding such high amounts. Their demands are excessive and you should not have to pay any more than one month's fee at the worst. I suspect the reason for their high demands is they are demanding payment of the full balance due for the year's m/ship, and maybe admin fees on top.

No one is going to visit you - they have no right to do this and this is not how they work.

I suggest your next move would be to write to DL Head Office as follows, and send a copy to ARC :-

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to ARC's letter of XXdate demanding payment of £440.

I wrote to David Lloyd in December 2014 enclosing the evidential proof you required about my cancellation. I then cancelled my DD mandate.

I spoke by phone to a DL membership advisor and was asked to make a "gesture of goodwill payment" for January 2015's fee. I had no desire to make any goodwill gesture and told the advisor this.

I am certainly not minded to make any further payment after receiving a demand from ARC for £440.

Please confirm that you will stop making any further demands and instruct ARC not to contact me further.

Yours faithfully,

See how they respond and let us know.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)