• Tweets

• Not sure if the above issue is covered in this group but if so I am after some advice.   My Dad is in his late 90's and on his death leaves everything to my Mum, also in her 90's but housebound. It is our intention and the request of Mum that when Dad has passed that the property she is currently living in is sold, we sell our property as well and we purchase a property with an annexe and self contained toilet / shower facilities where Mum could live out her days with us. There is no way on this Earth that she would go into an old folks home and it's certainly not on our agenda. Our daughter is their registered carer who currently looks after them.   Mum's Will as it stands at present states that I inherit her estate on her death.  She is talking about transferring the property she  currently resides in to me so that I can handle the sale of both properties. As her Will currently stands, the property she is living in will have already been sold so the Will won't be applicable. Could she change her Will now to state that on Dad's passing her property passes to me or can she gift the property?   The simple thing would be for Dad to change his to state that the property transfers to me but he is currently suffering with dimentia. He hardly knows what day of the week it is and gets very confused and agitated.   Any advice would be grateful. Thanks
    • One very useful admission to obtain from them in a recorded call would be to get them to admit that they hadn't informed you in advance as to the cost of the car rental. So for instance – "I'm just calling to find out what the cost of the car rental is because when you first approached me, it wasn't explained. I'm just want to find out so I can start arranging to pay how much I owe you." Something like that. The point is somehow or other to get them to acknowledge that they hadn't told you the rate at the time. It's an implied term of any contract the services that where no price has been agreed – then a reasonable price will be implied. Clearly you are not being asked to pay a reasonable price
    • Just to add, if you can start recording your calls then telephone conversations might be very useful because you may well be able to steer the conversation into some useful admissions. For instance, you might be able to get them to refer to the earlier conversations and what was said in them. This kind of thing would be gold dust. I think you can see that you have been tricked by aggressive salespeople – and it's up to you to start becoming a bit aggressive and assertive – and tricky – yourself.
    • Also, SAR to everyone else. I've already asked you to do this on the other thread. Also, no more phone calls unless you have read our customer services guide and implemented the advice there. Follow the customer services guide link or else click on it as it passes through the running banner at the top of the forum page
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies
  • Recommended Topics

Talk about merry-go-round

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2208 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Following an endowment maturity I tried to make a large overpayment to my C&G mortgage this week. I'm in the position where the mortgage is in base rate plus and non-fixed so figured a payment of £25,000 would take me close to almost completing my mortgage - certainly on taget to sort it over the next 2 years.

I call C&G get given the bank account and sort code to pay into, go onto my online banking and get a can't pay using this method. Call C&G again get told I can go into branch and make the payment using my debit card... so off I go.

Branch say I can't make that amount of payment using my debit card and I should go to my bank and get them to make the payment.

Go to my bank they tell me the sort code 30-00-00 will not accept CHAP payments above £5k :(

Call C&G explain the run-a-bout and they can take a payment over the phone by debit card until I tell them the amount... Oh. I ask if I can make separate payments of £5k and yes I can do that, if I do one per day.

C&G's advice go take the cash from my bank and take it to their bank to pay it in... :evil: Welcome back to 1980!!! Should I wear a sign saying mug me too?

So, seriously is their best advice to go pay my mortgage in cash?

I asked about cheque payment and yes I can do that if I make it out to CASH and write my mortgage account number on it. Really!? I have to get through two factor security for online banking, security questions for phone banking, but to pay a large amount of money I must use two of the weakest methods of fund transfer!

Not even funny.

Go to my bank they tell me the sort code 30-00-00 will not accept CHAP payments above £5k :(

Where do you bank?

I don't believe that sort code accepts CHAPS payments at all.

C&G possibly have a different sort code and account number for accepting CHAPS payments towards your mortgage.

I asked about cheque payment and yes I can do that if I make it out to CASH and write my mortgage account number on it. Really!? I have to get through two factor security for online banking, security questions for phone banking, but to pay a large amount of money I must use two of the weakest methods of fund transfer!

Faster Payments made via Internet Banking and Phone Banking need that additional level of security because the transfers are in most cases instantaneous and also irreversible.

However, cheques take 6 working days to clear. Within those 6 days your own bank can make contact with you to establish whether the cheque is genuine and reject/accept it according to your response.

Edited by KSmith82