style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3322 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A stupid and rather patronising and paternalistic idea. In the US where similar food stamps have existed for some time now, these stamps are often sold for well below their market value. So $100 worth of food stamps could be sold for as little as $60 or even $50 for quick cash. A pre-payment card on paper should be more secure than printed stamps. However, considering the poor IT contracts successive governments have wasted money on, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Many hardened alcoholics and drug addicts will do almost anything to obtain cash to feed their habit. If you deny cash from one source, chances are they'll find it elsewhere.

Also, if introducing such a pre-pay card to curb alcohol, drug and gambling addictions, why not go the whole hog and introduce pre-pay cards nationwide in lieu of cash? This is precisely the thinking behind the likes of Titus Salt, the Lever Bros. and Cadbury family in creating their model villages, Saltaire, Port Sunlight and Bournville respectively. No alcohol was permitted so no pubs were built. In the case of Saltaire, workers were paid tokens to stop them spending their wages on booze and gambling in the next big town or village. Of course, these Victorian industrialists were acting on a religious moral code just as the odious Smith tries to convince us he's also doing. Except that these industrialists actually did give their workers a generally better standard of living. All Smith offers is a more punitive system and utter failure.

And surely this goes right against the grain of the Tories banging on about the 'nanny state'?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You couldn't make some/most of the things up that they come up with

Well, someone is making up the statistics that are being quoted: One in 15 working-age benefit claimants in England suffer from addiction to drugs, such as crack-cocaine and heroin, while an estimated one in 25 working-age benefit claimants is suffering from alcohol dependency.

I'm sure if one were to ask the DWP or the ONS, they would say "we do not hold that information".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

By no means are Labour angels but this Tory regime needs ousting and only the voters can do that in May. Food vouchers? Whatever next? I suppose if you have paid NI and tax for 20+ years you are not entitled to claim now? Disgraceful regime and how IDS has not lost his position with the shambles of UC I do not know - must have some form of hold on CaMORON

You can talk IDS down as much as you like, and we know he's a nasty man from a nasty party. Unfortunately the public in this country is very judgemental and would probably back these "reforms" and probably demand even more blood. The corrupt tabloid media back the Tory/UKIP block. Labour are not much better. God save us! We're fekced!

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

A stupid and rather patronising and paternalistic idea. In the US where similar food stamps have existed for some time now, these stamps are often sold for well below their market value. So $100 worth of food stamps could be sold for as little as $60 or even $50 for quick cash. A pre-payment card on paper should be more secure than printed stamps. However, considering the poor IT contracts successive governments have wasted money on, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Many hardened alcoholics and drug addicts will do almost anything to obtain cash to feed their habit. If you deny cash from one source, chances are they'll find it elsewhere.

Also, if introducing such a pre-pay card to curb alcohol, drug and gambling addictions, why not go the whole hog and introduce pre-pay cards nationwide in lieu of cash? This is precisely the thinking behind the likes of Titus Salt, the Lever Bros. and Cadbury family in creating their model villages, Saltaire, Port Sunlight and Bournville respectively. No alcohol was permitted so no pubs were built. In the case of Saltaire, workers were paid tokens to stop them spending their wages on booze and gambling in the next big town or village. Of course, these Victorian industrialists were acting on a religious moral code just as the odious Smith tries to convince us he's also doing. Except that these industrialists actually did give their workers a generally better standard of living. All Smith offers is a more punitive system and utter failure.

And surely this goes right against the grain of the Tories banging on about the 'nanny state'?

It's not about addictions, as those addicted are such a tiny proportion. It is about a moralistic crusade of judgement, where people getting 'government money' are not considered worthy enough to enjoy alcohol or nicotine. Soon other food products would be deemed off limits to those with the cards. Don't get me wrong, I'm very much anti smoking, but I don't believe that government should be allowed to dictate personal spending.

I'm so angry about this false moralism that is rampant in the Tories - which in reality is just an excuse to cut for the poorest and increase for the wealthy. sad when a guy who inherits his wealth and has never done a day of work in his life is considered 'worthier' than a guy of the same age, worked till now on minimum wage, who now finds himself unemployed.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

the people who have steady jobs are like sheep.they believe all the media hype ,they think all unemployed have sky tv and loads of dosh.thats why they will back the tories.

The "people who have steady jobs" are fewer and fewer and usually older and lucky enough they got a job in a sector where they are unsackable. Wait until a critical mass of un/under/employed forms and only then you'll see some sort of rebellion.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

I have absolutely NO problems with IDS introducing Food Vouchers... Absolutely None at all.

Well as long as they cover the cost of a weekly shop at Harrods......

You know what it is about IDS and his millions, It's the thought that the paltry amount of tax

he pays is going to be given to someone so that they can actually live for a little while longer.

The best people to actually run are the people who live on the dole as they at least

know how to budget to survive

What would happen to people who don't live within walking distance of major supermarkets? Because of where I live and because I don't drive, I either have to shop at Lidl, Aldi or the small local shops.

Maybe MPs expenses should be in the form of vouchers to stop them abusing the system...

Maybe MPs expenses should be in the form of vouchers to stop them abusing the system...

And we should close the 12 or 13 subsidised bars in the Palace of Westminster. As things stand, we're positively inviting drunk legislating.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.