Dicriminatory dress code. stopped from wearing hood when signing on DWP

christopherlaw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

how discriminatory was this treatment  

3 Caggers have voted

1. 1. how discriminatory was this treatment

• very
    • moderately
    • fairly
    • little bit

I have had a similar experience at edinburgh high riggs, but this is more complex. On the 8th dec 2014 i was asked by a security guard to take down the hood from my hooded top. I did but pointed out it was winter and a number of people were wearing hooded jackets and hats who were already in the building. The security guard insisted it was hoodies in particular. On the 16th of feb 2015 I go sign on again, this time a different security gaurd tells me I can not wear a hooded jacket; i tell him of my last experience, but this makes no difference. On entering the building i noticed an older man wearing a baseball cap so file a complaint. It is apparent that it is not the item of clothing you are wearing, but the demography of the population that the security gaurd decides yo fit into. I am a guy in his 30s, i tend to wear hoods in scotland not because I want to be affiliated with the hoody culture, but cause its cold here. I found the treatment humiliating and giving people preferential treatment like this is surely illegal

Edited by honeybee13
Putting back OP that he's deleted twice.

I have had an experience at edinburgh high riggs jobcenter. On the 8th dec 2014 i was asked by a security guard to take down the hood from my hooded top. I did, but pointed out it was winter, and, a number of people were wearing hooded jackets and hats who were already in the building. The security guard insisted that it was hoodies in particular.

On the 16th of feb 2015 I go to sign on again, this time a different security guard tells me I can not wear a hooded jacket (after having witnessed hooded jackets being worn, and challenging this on the previous occasion); i tell him of my last experience, but this makes no difference. Once I entered the building I noticed an older man wearing a baseball cap so file a complaint.

As an excuse, when I went back to speak to the security guard about his discriminatory behavior, he told me base ball caps and beanie hats are allowed.

It is apparent that it is not the item of clothing you are wearing, but the demography of the population that the security guard decides you fit into. I am a guy in his 30s, i tend to wear hoods in Scotland not because I want to be affiliated with the hoody culture, but cause its cold here.

I found the treatment humiliating and giving people preferential treatment like this is surely illegal. We are used to door staffs egos running away with them on privately owned venues, now we cant even sign on without being degraded and harassed.

Appreciate feedback on this one

should there not be other options, such as: -

* not at all discriminatory

* sounds like a reasonable request

* not possible to tell without being there

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

could very well be the case, id settle for finding a delete button at the moment so i can delete all my unwanted posts. honeybee merged my posts from another thread while i was creating this one for some reason. I know she is one of the team so i am trying to contact her to see if she can clarify whats happened.It is my first time using the forum

i think some of these problems occur due to

* overzealous security guards

* the almost daily changing security alert levels in government buildings

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

personally, i would not be offended if i was asked to keep my hood down for the short period of time spent in the jobcentre, in the same way i would not offended if asked to do so in a bank, petrol station or shop/supermarket

i can understand having a hood up whilst outside in the cold or rain, but not inside a heated dry building

sorry you maybe right about the overzealous security staff. I will be very offended if they try and hit me with an excuse like the second point you made though. it seems more complicated than the uks tax codes; Religious headware ok! jackets with hoods ok! (as long as I am not wearing one) caps ok! beenies ok! hoodies, not ok!)

if you believe you were being discriminated against on the basis of gender or age, then you should make a formal complaint to the JC manager

maybe you would not be offended because you are never asked to conform to these standards. Is this a common occurrence for you? i notice you use the phrase "if i"

the reason i used the words "if i was asked" is simply because I would automatically put my hood down when entering any such premises

I have no problem conforming to a rule, as long as other people have to conform to the same rule. Imagine being in a public building full of people with hats and hoods on, and you get singled out; "drop the hood" he said, now see the problem. This has happened on more than one occasion

it makes you wonder if discrimination is allowed to happen to you if you happen to be unfortunate enough to be in that demographic

The Jobcentre may not discriminate against you on the grounds of gender, age, race, religion, sexuality or disability.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

I was raised to take off any headwear when entering a building.

That being said hoodies have always been an issue because of it's association with gang culture/crime, hence probably why hats and normal jacket hoods are ok.

As you have raised it with the manager let them deal with it, seems a none issue to me.

Sorry Chris, absolute none issue. You were asked to comply with a published dress code. It doesn't matter what other people are doing as the guard(s) can't speak to everyone all at once (without then being accused of shouting). It's good manners if nothing else to remove headwear when you enter a building and there's nothing new about people's reticence around hooded tops. Go to any major shopping centre (Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow if you'd like an example) and you'll see exactly the same notices. Hooded sweatshirts are very different to religious headwear.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3354 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks