• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA Europe Bank Penalty Charges & the Financial Ombudsm

angry cat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a new member of The Bank Action Group, but I have an ongoing battle with MBNA over issues various-

After complaing to MBNA, I was referred to the Financial Ombudsman (FOS) and of course, my complaint included 'Unfair Penalty Charges'

Over the weekend I received a reply from the FOS adjudicator who stated "We woud not say that MBNA cannot apply charges, such as the late payment fee, which is in accordance with its published tariff"

I was astounded with the above comment from the FOS!

Has anyone else had this experience from The Financial Ombudsman Service? It would appear to me, that every isssue I complain about to the FOS is refuted.

From angry cat

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a new member of The Bank Action Group, but I have an ongoing battle with MBNA over issues various-

After complaing to MBNA, I was referred to the Financial Ombudsman (FOS) and of course, my complaint included 'Unfair Penalty Charges'

Over the weekend I received a reply from the FOS adjudicator who stated "We woud not say that MBNA cannot apply charges, such as the late payment fee, which is in accordance with its published tariff"

I was astounded with the above comment from the FOS!

Has anyone else had this experience from The Financial Ombudsman Service? It would appear to me, that every isssue I complain about to the FOS is refuted.

From angry cat

It s rather to be expected I am afraid. However, I would be interested to know how you framed your question which drew this answer. It occurs to me that it may not be the answer which is the problem but rather the question which produced this answer..

Let us know.

It s rather to be expected I am afraid. However, I would be interested to know how you framed your question which drew this answer. It occurs to me that it may not be the answer which is the problem but rather the question which produced this answer..

Let us know.

Hello-

Basically my complaint to the FOS was about a mis-sold payment protection insurance

I wrote to the FOS because of Unfair Contract Terms in the MBNA exclusuion & limitations clauses (Unfair Terms in consumer contracts)

MBNA also breached the insurance contact by changing their insurer without telling me.

Basically the situation now is that I cannot claim on my insurance, beacause I am unwell and excluded from claiming, because of their exclusion & limitation clauses.

I raised the isuue of the Unlawfull Exceesive Penalty charges, because there was no continuity between MBNA and the insurer when my montly insurance claim payments were made into my account. Therefore, I was constantly being charged 'late fees' which were computer generated and I had many of these fines which distorted the outstanding balance and interest accruing. I would write to the bank complaining and eventually they would "as a gesture of goodwill/courtesy" refund the fines and then fine me again!

I have gone to great lengths to explain to the FOS, that penalty charges are not enforceable. I have provided him with newspaper & internet documents together with details of the Abbey national case and quoted- "Furtermore these charges are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 subsection (e)

I have informed the FOS "It is my view that my concerns about these penalty charges and associated hidden interest require attention, in order that the FOS fully address and resolve All issues contained within my most serious complaint against MBNA"

However the FOS appear to condone the charging of late fees!?

angry cat

Hello-

Basically my complaint to the FOS was about a mis-sold payment protection insurance

I wrote to the FOS because of Unfair Contract Terms in the MBNA exclusuion & limitations clauses (Unfair Terms in consumer contracts)

MBNA also breached the insurance contact by changing their insurer without telling me.

Basically the situation now is that I cannot claim on my insurance, beacause I am unwell and excluded from claiming, because of their exclusion & limitation clauses.

I raised the isuue of the Unlawfull Exceesive Penalty charges, because there was no continuity between MBNA and the insurer when my montly insurance claim payments were made into my account. Therefore, I was constantly being charged 'late fees' which were computer generated and I had many of these fines which distorted the outstanding balance and interest accruing. I would write to the bank complaining and eventually they would "as a gesture of goodwill/courtesy" refund the fines and then fine me again!

I have gone to great lengths to explain to the FOS, that penalty charges are not enforceable. I have provided him with newspaper & internet documents together with details of the Abbey national case and quoted- "Furtermore these charges are contrary to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 subsection (e)

I have informed the FOS "It is my view that my concerns about these penalty charges and associated hidden interest require attention, in order that the FOS fully address and resolve All issues contained within my most serious complaint against MBNA"

angry cat

Hello-

Obviously I do not know the facts of your story but if there was, as you say, a breach of contract then why didn't you go to Court about it?

angry cat

It seems to me that the FOS may be saying that [wihtout evidence as to the Banks actual costs] "...We would not say that MBNA cannot apply charges, such as the late payment fee, which is in accordance with its published tariff"

This would be an accurate statement which no one could disagree with. Of course it is a whitewash and you didn't need to go to the FOS to receive this information.

Do you know if they asked for info from the banks and what the banks replied. And of the FOS didn't ask forinfo then why not.

Have you thought about making a FoIAct request for discloure by the FOS as to all the mateial which he used as part of his investigation including requests for information, replies from any party requested and his notes used in arriving at his decision.

Hello-

Obviously I do not know the facts of your story but if there was, as you say, a breach of contract then why didn't you go to Court about it?

angry cat

It seems to me that the FOS may be saying that [wihtout evidence as to the Banks actual costs] "...We would not say that MBNA cannot apply charges, such as the late payment fee, which is in accordance with its published tariff"

This would be an accurate statement which no one could disagree with. Of course it is a whitewash and you didn't need to go to the FOS to receive this information.

Do you know if they asked for info from the banks and what the banks replied. And of the FOS didn't ask forinfo then why not.

Have you thought about making a FoIAct request for discloure by the FOS as to all the mateial which he used as part of his investigation including requests for information, replies from any party requested and his notes used in arriving at his decision.

Hi-

Thanks for your information and I will do as you have suggested.

Although I do not hold out very much hope.

I would not personally recommend anyone going to the FOS as they appear to be nothing more than a Public Relations department for the Banks & Insurance companies. Sadely, most people are like me and perhaps of the opinion that the FOS is pro consumer, they are not.

However, I will not give up.

angry cat

Hi-

Thanks for your information and I will do as you have suggested.

Although I do not hold out very much hope.

I would not personally recommend anyone going to the FOS as they appear to be nothing more than a Public Relations department for the Banks & Insurance companies. Sadely, most people are like me and perhaps of the opinion that the FOS is pro consumer, they are not.

However, I will not give up.

angry cat

Hello again-

Sorry but I missed your second message re 'Breach of contract'-

The reason that I have not gone to Law about the issue, is that I had hoped the FOS would have assisted me and of course it is very costly to take a bank such as MBNA to court -

Once the FOS come to their Final Decision, there is no appeal process and the FOS know that most people do not have the financial resources to start litigation.

I am at present going through ALL of my statements, to date I have been fined over 20 times, some of the fines have been refunded but not without a struggle. I have also requested that all the associated interest be refunded which goes back several years.

Most certainly, I have a battle on my hands with the FOS!

It seems incredible to me, that they always seem to be on the side of the Banks

angry cat

Hello again-

Sorry but I missed your second message re 'Breach of contract'-

The reason that I have not gone to Law about the issue, is that I had hoped the FOS would have assisted me and of course it is very costly to take a bank such as MBNA to court -

Once the FOS come to their Final Decision, there is no appeal process and the FOS know that most people do not have the financial resources to start litigation.

I am at present going through ALL of my statements, to date I have been fined over 20 times, some of the fines have been refunded but not without a struggle. I have also requested that all the associated interest be refunded which goes back several years.

Most certainly, I have a battle on my hands with the FOS!

It seems incredible to me, that they always seem to be on the side of the Banks

angry cat

course it is very costly to take a bank such as MBNA to court -

Why do you think this? It is not. It is very cheap.

course it is very costly to take a bank such as MBNA to court -

Why do you think this? It is not. It is very cheap.

yes I now and...

I am very glad that I came across your website !

Up until now my only hope, has been the FOS...like so many other consumers...who probaly end up like me - exasperated. The FOS system is totally wrong, biased and misleading. Because a consumer expects to be treated fairly by this organisation, but as previously stated their view is weighted on the side or the Banks etc.

To date, every complaint that I have made to the FOS, that is after receiving the firms 'final decision', has been turned down.

I don't want to Bang on, too much about the FOS, because I am sure that they do assist some people. However, I very much doubt that the will uphold complaints about unfair penalty fines, until the OFT & the FSA make their decision

angry cat

yes I now and...

I am very glad that I came across your website !

Up until now my only hope, has been the FOS...like so many other consumers...who probaly end up like me - exasperated. The FOS system is totally wrong, biased and misleading. Because a consumer expects to be treated fairly by this organisation, but as previously stated their view is weighted on the side or the Banks etc.

To date, every complaint that I have made to the FOS, that is after receiving the firms 'final decision', has been turned down.

I don't want to Bang on, too much about the FOS, because I am sure that they do assist some people. However, I very much doubt that the will uphold complaints about unfair penalty fines, until the OFT & the FSA make their decision

angry cat

So why don't you just get stuck in and sue. You could have it all wrapped up in 4 or 5 weeks

So why don't you just get stuck in and sue. You could have it all wrapped up in 4 or 5 weeks

Hi!

I am very pleased that the Bank Action Group does exist and...

I (know) am aware that it was formed because of the immoral, scandalous & outrageous commission driven profits of the banks, Insurance & Mortgage companies. Consumers are at 'Risk' from these companies.

It costs a lot of money to take one of these 'Banking Giants' to court, it is not cheap. One would have to seek Counsels advice, or perhaps fail

If you have a less expensive alternative ...

I would love to know :D

Of course, I am not just referring to Penalty Fines. :(

I would love to sue MBNA but HOW :?:

What, Where, HOW

Thanks for listening to me.

angry cat

Hi!

I am very pleased that the Bank Action Group does exist and...

I (know) am aware that it was formed because of the immoral, scandalous & outrageous commission driven profits of the banks, Insurance & Mortgage companies. Consumers are at 'Risk' from these companies.

It costs a lot of money to take one of these 'Banking Giants' to court, it is not cheap. One would have to seek Counsels advice, or perhaps fail

If you have a less expensive alternative ...

I would love to know :D

Of course, I am not just referring to Penalty Fines. :(

I would love to sue MBNA but HOW :?:

What, Where, HOW

Thanks for listening to me.

angry cat

If your claim is for less than £5000 then use the small claims procedure in the county court.

If you have some larger issue then you can tell us if you want but merely being cryptic doesn't help you or anyone else and takes time from all of us.

And by the way, you will never guess what single incident it was which lead to the creation of this Group. :o

If your claim is for less than £5000 then use the small claims procedure in the county court.

If you have some larger issue then you can tell us if you want but merely being cryptic doesn't help you or anyone else and takes time from all of us.

And by the way, you will never guess what single incident it was which lead to the creation of this Group. :o

Hello-

Most sincerely !

I was not being sarcastic, nor cryptic....

Please accept my most profuse apologies if I have given that impression to you...Sorry

Factually, it was liike a 'breath of Fresh Air' when I discovered The Bank Action Group Website and....

I am simply a member of your group....

needing assistance :roll:

angry cat

Hello-

Most sincerely !

I was not being sarcastic, nor cryptic....

Please accept my most profuse apologies if I have given that impression to you...Sorry

Factually, it was liike a 'breath of Fresh Air' when I discovered The Bank Action Group Website and....

I am simply a member of your group....

needing assistance :roll:

angry cat

Yes but you haven't said what your problem is with the MBNA

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1878 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks