Dodgy customer may cost me my job...help please

Guest Alison82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3355 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guest Alison82

Hi I would like some advice regarding an issue at work.

I had a customer who placed a large order over the phone in December,

the transaction was for appropriately £4000,

he said he will be sending his diver to come in and collect the items the next day.

This is not unusual for us as we often have customers who spend large amounts

and often have people pay over the phone

and collect another day especially when we have special offers of 10% off as we did that day.

His driver came into collect the next day,

I wasn't in but i left everything ready for my colleague to give it to him.

As she was getting everything ready the department manager and the head of security passed by

and asked who he was and what was happening,

she explained and they both told her to call the customer and check if it was his driver before giving the items over, she did as they said.

The same customer called the next day and placed another order with my colleague (a second colleague) this time for £6000,

the driver came in to collect that evening with from myself and a fourth colleague.

It turns out the card was fraudulent and the matter is being investigated with all people involved.

I had my 'fact finding meeting last week' and now they are escalating and i have a disaplinary hearing this week.

Their main arrangements is that they have no recorded from the bank that i called to check the card, which I did.

Their other point is that they have an internal system where staff can access training notes and other information

and if I was unsure about anything then I should have referred there where it would have told me

that I cannot do a telephone order and physically give the items to a customer it must be posted out.

..fair enough but

my argument is that I have never ever had an induction with the store;

where they would tell me all of the stores procedures including mail orders;

I told them this in my meeting and that I had never heard of this system and had no clue how to access it.

I believe it is down to the department manager at the time to book new staff members in to ensure everyone knows the rules,

also for as long as I have been there (2 years) we have always allowed customers to collect orders placed over the phone,

all of my colleagues and managers have done so;

it has been the norm and no one has ever told us otherwise.

In the past floor managers have just asked us to keep the items locked away as they had been paid for.

My argument is that just because they have no record of my call it does not mean the call was not place.

If I was never told about these tools how can I have been expected to use them (the internal system),

if I have never been educated by the way of an induction how can I be expected to know the procedure of not allowing customers

to pay over the phone and collect when my colleagues and superiors have always done so.

The letter sates that if these allegations re proven then disciplinary action up to dismissal could be taken.

By the way I recorded the meeting, and will probably record the hearing for my own reference

I hope I have written this clearly, thanks in advance for any help.

If you are empolyed and contracted to follow all company procedures the company is required to provide full training in all areas and to record that you have recieved that training and any follow on training If that was not done then you cannot be held accountable and so have a good case there should you be dismissed.

Did you get the name of the bank clark you spoke to at first order? The company cannot prove you did not make the call if you cannot prove you did. Phone records will prove if you did or did not make that call.

The first order you say the department manager and head of security stopped and got your colleagues to check re: the driver I'm assuming they allowed that order to be processed and dispatched? If so, then you can show that this is a normal part of working practice which goes against what the company are saying.

It looks to me like the company have took a large hit and are wanting to place blame down the chain so knock it back up the chain.

Again as is said time and again if you are not a member of a union join one.

Bill

All information given above is purely my own opinion. Some based on personal experience. Where backed up by case files I will make that known. However, until then please take all of what I say with a pinch of salt and accept it only as a reference. :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin:

Guest Alison82

Hi Bill

Many thanks for your reply. Yes I agree with you. The department manger and head of security did allow the items to be dispatched but whether they will admit to that is another story. I do not have the name as normally there is no need you just give the details and they give you a yes or no answer, I have no proof that I called however again this would be covered within the training that I did not receive.

GMB have given me some advice however as I have only recently joined they are unable to attend the hearing with me. GMB have told me that I have been an employee for less than 2 years (1 year and 10 month) then I am not covered for unfair dismissal unless I have other extenuating grounds which I don't think I do.

Ahhh your first post states ( as I have been there (2 years) GMB is correct

If a previous order was accepted by another colleague even if you est it up then they are as culpable it seems to me that the company policy and proceedures have not been adheared to as part of the normal working environment If you are not aware of the accepted policy and proceedure then you have just followed the practice of others.

The company have took a hit and you unfortunately fell foul off it you need to show that.

1. You did not receive full training

2. Common practice

3. Phone records for that first order will show if a call went to the bank

I'm sure there is a lot more advice the guys and girls can give other more knowledgeable people will be along to advice soon I think.

Bill

All information given above is purely my own opinion. Some based on personal experience. Where backed up by case files I will make that known. However, until then please take all of what I say with a pinch of salt and accept it only as a reference. :madgrin::madgrin::madgrin:

Guest Alison82

Many Thanks.

My Contract states:

"You are obliged to comply with the rules and regulations of the store in which you are based. Any breach of this requirement will result in disciplinary action being taken"

As I haven't had training to state what these rules and regulations are, how can I be in breach of them. Also if I'm in breach then I would assume that everyone else within my company that has done the same thing are also in breach? (not that I want to get anyone else in trouble).