Jane 1 - Npower 0 [Buchanan Ckark and Wells/Wilkin Chapman]

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2104 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done on this. So many companies like Npower rely on the customer crumbling and just paying up, even though they know they've been mugged.

I was surprised that your compensation was so little. Is that a new rule? The Bristolian in the link below received £3K - funny, it was Npower then too.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8393795.Npower_harassed_customer_____judge/

Did you ever attempt to take your case to the ombudsman? I'm in the middle (well, ten months in) of a dispute with e.on over billing. They also involved a debt collector and one of my stipulations with the ombudsman is assurance that this will not effect my credit record. If the ombusman fails me a second time I will be taking e.on to court. One of your expenses should have been the fee to check your credit record.

Hi Sali,

You are right, they are bullies but also very incompetant

I didnt take Npower to court, they took me to court for not paying the final bill and I didnt make a counter claim so the Judge was only able to award me expenses hence the £90.

I didnt go though the Ombudsman, I just let them take me to court when I saw so many errors in their paperwork.

Good luck with your case,

Jane

• Confused 1

Ah, so it depends on who initiates the court proceedings.

Whilst I, at this time, do not have a great opinion of the energy ombudsman (it was clear they hadn't even bothered to read my correspondence first time round), it is a free service. As I said though, I believe I'm on rock-solid ground and will take e.on to the small claims court if the ombudsman fails me a second time round.

I'm always pleased though when somebody gives the bully a bloody nose.

Jane - I am very happy for you, going through the rigmarole with the Ombudsman with NPower right now (£6700 bill) and they cocked up almost immediately. We shall see what transpires.....

Why don't you tell us all the story in a new thread

It will encourage many other people as well.

An amazing story there Jane .. well done.

I suspect in most cases like this people get tired by the constant letters and spiralling (often unjustifiable) costs maybe if every customer was as brave and tenacious as you the foot would be on the other shoe, big companies having to deal with hundreds of court cases.

This shows how important it is to read letters carefully, keep details of phone calls (preferable by recording them, which i understand is legal so long as its for your own use ?).

A big WELL DONE !

wally

I had previously been with EON for a number of years with no problem but because the terminated the StayWarm programme I transferred to Npower - what a mistake.

I had been with them just over a year when they informed me that I had to have my gas meter changed but because I had previous problems with British Gas when my meter was previously changed I asked if it was absolutely necessary and they confirmed that it was and so the meter was changed for a reconditioned one. Shortly after this change my gas consumption went sky high and my bill shot up by almost £2,000 for no reason as it was the middle of summer but even after numerous emails I could not get the situation resolved and so I found out the name of the CEO and wrote a letter to him asking for an explanation. After several weeks of meter readings and checks it appears that Npower had simple taken the old reading from the old meter and the one from the new reconditioned meter and charged me the difference but no real apology only the refund of monies that I had over paid.

I find it a very worrying situation for people who are not able to fight these companies who just have to accept what they are told as I initially was.

I had learnt a lot from my previous meter change when after the meter was changed and taken away I received 3 large bills and was informed that I had to pay them all even though I tried to demonstrate that I could not have possible used that much gas which they would not accept. Unfortunately, on that occasion I had not made a note of the meter reading and I had to find out who had tested the returned meter and get a copy of their report - from this I was able to show that between my last actual meter reading and the one shown on the test certificate there was a vast difference in the readings that equated to many hundreds of pounds worth of gas that could not have possibly been used by a gas cooker.

afc user-online.png congratulations on sorting out your problem with Npower. However, have you talked about this on a thread on this forum and described in detail what the problem was and how you dealt with? A lot of people would benefit from this kind of information and that's what this forum is for. However I'm afraid to say that we get a lot of people who are having a very rough time with Npower and yet they don't particularly share the information that they have as a result of their experience – and all that means is that people keep on having to go it alone against this huge corporate bully – and most people, unfortunately, don't make it.

You sound very angry in your post about the treatment that you have received from Npower – yet you have done nothing to get any kind of compensation from them. Your complaint to Npower and the final resolution has not gone down on any official records so that the energy ombudsman doesn't know about it and there is nothing with the courts. This cannot be at all helpful to all the other tens of thousands of customers who are suffering at the hands of this company.

If you really are so angry then why don't you decide to make a complaint about it – preferably through the small claims system and to get a modest amount of compensation. It wouldn't at all surprised me if you could get three or £400 for the treatment that you have received and the mismanagement of your account. A judgement against Npower would make a lot of difference to people on this forum if you told them all about it because it would encourage them also to take action.

The reason why Npower gets away with all this all the time is because they are subjected to limp wrist in regulation by a half-hearted regulator, and because customers either accept their fate – or if they don't and they pursue it a bit, as soon as they get the immediate problem sorted they then stop. Npower has no incentive to improve the systems because they probably get away with so much of other people's money that it makes economic sense for them just to keep on the way they are.

I'm very sorry to say that people who come onto a thread like this and simply post a little anecdote about their own particular experience are not really helping anybody and it is just as good – or should I say futile – as simply having a rather mild discussion on a Facebook group. I don't want to knock the people on the Facebook group but they aren't getting anywhere. They simply 13th themselves and dilute their anger and the winner at the end is Npower.

Frankly, if I was running Npower complaints department, I would make sure that there were as many Facebook groups running as possible and I would encourage people to go on there and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk – and do nothing else. It's better than having a customer services department to divert you away from a proper complaints system – because a Facebook group is much cheaper than a customer services department

jane1703 user-offline.pnghave you decided to take some action for compensation? Or have you decided to let it go?

Did you make any progress on obtaining a judgement?

Well done, we can emphasize with you entirely, we had an almost identical problem with Eon, however we refused to pay them and kept paying just a small amount and kept it in dispute for several years. They had mixed up meter numbers, house numbers. and totally different addresses. We also wrote to the CEO found out where he was going to be giving a lecture about how wonderful EON were and sent his PA an email that we would be popping along to let everyone know exactly how they treated customers.

They did not like this and we immediately got a dialogue with a senior trouble shooter from Eon in Nottingham, total waste of space but we wound them up mercilessly ended in a stale mate but they have not ever tried to pursue it further debt collection letters stopped so kind of result.

We also helped some friends with a dispute with British gas over meter standing charges in an empty property, they had tried to bully my friend into their way of thinking unfortunately for them his answer was simple, please remove the meter from my property or I will charge you rent for it being there!!

His daughter was moving into the house it took 2 weeks of constantly hassling them to get anywhere, they deliberately lied and misled us, eventually we got someone to agree to help and he told us in confidence that as we had got one over on them the managers was furious..lol what is it with these folk are all energy companies deceitful lying entities?

I think privatisation was the amongst worst ever mistake this country made time for nationalisation?

Well done Jane and thanks for sharing your experience. Very naughty of them writing to you about their costs when presumably this was small claims track so irrelevant.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

afc user-online.png congratulations on sorting out your problem with Npower. However, have you talked about this on a thread on this forum and described in detail what the problem was and how you dealt with? A lot of people would benefit from this kind of information and that's what this forum is for. However I'm afraid to say that we get a lot of people who are having a very rough time with Npower and yet they don't particularly share the information that they have as a result of their experience – and all that means is that people keep on having to go it alone against this huge corporate bully – and most people, unfortunately, don't make it.

You sound very angry in your post about the treatment that you have received from Npower – yet you have done nothing to get any kind of compensation from them. Your complaint to Npower and the final resolution has not gone down on any official records so that the energy ombudsman doesn't know about it and there is nothing with the courts. This cannot be at all helpful to all the other tens of thousands of customers who are suffering at the hands of this company.

If you really are so angry then why don't you decide to make a complaint about it – preferably through the small claims system and to get a modest amount of compensation. It wouldn't at all surprised me if you could get three or £400 for the treatment that you have received and the mismanagement of your account. A judgement against Npower would make a lot of difference to people on this forum if you told them all about it because it would encourage them also to take action.

The reason why Npower gets away with all this all the time is because they are subjected to limp wrist in regulation by a half-hearted regulator, and because customers either accept their fate – or if they don't and they pursue it a bit, as soon as they get the immediate problem sorted they then stop. Npower has no incentive to improve the systems because they probably get away with so much of other people's money that it makes economic sense for them just to keep on the way they are.

I'm very sorry to say that people who come onto a thread like this and simply post a little anecdote about their own particular experience are not really helping anybody and it is just as good – or should I say futile – as simply having a rather mild discussion on a Facebook group. I don't want to knock the people on the Facebook group but they aren't getting anywhere. They simply 13th themselves and dilute their anger and the winner at the end is Npower.

Frankly, if I was running Npower complaints department, I would make sure that there were as many Facebook groups running as possible and I would encourage people to go on there and talk and talk and talk and talk and talk – and do nothing else. It's better than having a customer services department to divert you away from a proper complaints system – because a Facebook group is much cheaper than a customer services department

I suppose that having been "caught out" on my first meter change I half expected something like this to happen and that is why I took pictures of my old meter and submitted readings after the change - as a matter of interest I always submit readings on a monthly basis so there should have been no excuse for this mistake.

I use an app on my phone so I have a monthly usage chart going back 3 years and was able to figure out that this is what had probably happened but the sad part about this was that no one at Npower took any notice of my comments or complaints - at one point when the meter reader came he informed me that the worse thing to do was pay by Direct Debit as he informed me that "they have you over a barrel and that he pays monthly" - and he was part of their organisation.

If I had not received a reply from their CEO I would have issued a Small Claims Summons as in my experience this normally focuses their attention and I am just in the process of moving suppliers but I don't hold any great expectations that the new one will be any better.

Please don't leap into a claim against an power without going through it with us first.

Make sure that you read up about bringing a small claims in the County Court

• 4 months later...
I've headed your earlier advice, for any further benefit to come out of this, it has to be carefully planned.

Thanks BF

Hi Jane, what#s the latest on your story with Npower. Are you taking matters further with them? I've read your case with interest and I too am involved in a very similar case with Npower/Wilkin Chapman but for a much greater amount. I will be counter claiming for sure and I'm keen to know how your counter claim has gone. I've received a CCJ and its completely destroyed my chances of receiving credit, plus they barged into a rented house and removed a meter when the warrant was in the previous tenants name and they took the wrong meter and didn't install a prepayment meter. Its a long story but cases like yours give us inspiration.

• 4 months later...

nPower truly is a dreadful Company.

For years they have refused to pay me the warm homes payment in accordance with their legal obligations even though they have

- equally for years - known they owe it to me.

They sent round to me some pleasant enough fellow, saying he would help resolve the matter.

He asked questions and I answered.

It was only later that I discovered he was an employee not of nPower but of their debt collectors. This is shocking.

Edited by honeybee13
Potential libel removed.

• 2 years later...

thread is very old

since then we've had a virus attack

what can we help you with I notice you have a thread about the same..is this still ongoing?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It was only the judgement paperwork

Just a letter

Why dont you update your existing thread?

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...