Cannot cancel uk hotel booking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A disabled friend of mine and his carer attended the Wales v England rugby match in Cardiff this month.

Sleeperz Hotel in the City have adapted rooms for disabled persons.

He saw that they were advertising the Wales/Italy rugby match on 18th March 2016 and at the time decided to book 2 rooms - cost £390 in total which was paid in full.

He now wishes to cancel the booking but the hotel has refused citing their booking reservation Details.

I have checked this for him and it does say that there is no refund as it is an "advanced purchase rate" .

I have also checked the hotels web site and spoken to the General Manager who was adamant that there is no refund but that the booking could be changed to another name.

Surely there must be a cooling off period especially when the rooms have been booked and paid for for over a years time.

Can anyone help on this please ?

Many thanks

How was the booking made?

Does it say something like this?

Advance Purchase Rates

Full prepayment is required at the time of booking. This payment is non-refundable and cannot be exchanged for other reservation dates, accommodation, goods or services. IF YOU CANCEL

Our Advance Purchase rates are better value than other more flexible rates. One reason for the lower prices is this - if you cancel you will still have to pay and there are no refunds or exchanges, so the only way to get your money back is if you are covered by holiday insurance.

Most cancellations are due to unforeseen circumstances of one sort or another which is why we go out of our way to recommend holiday insurance. We won't try and sell you this as many of our customers are already covered on annual trip insurance or through a policy associated with their home policy and there are many deals to be had. The reason we mention it again just now is so that if you do cancel we don't end up in an awkward situation as we like to be fair to all our customers by sticking to the cancellation terms and charges that apply, whatever the circumstances.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It was done face to face with reception.

This is a copy from the emailed booking form less the personal information

"The rooms above consists of accommodation and VAT but does not indude breakfast.

However, if you have booked breakfast as an addrtional option this will show above.

Our restaurant offers a delightful breakfast at your leisure or an express breakfast to go.

All rooms are available from 2pm until 11am on the day of you departure'

Please note that you have reserved an advance purchase rate. The crediUdebit card provided at

the time of booking will h fully charged for the reservation and this payment will be non

returndable. lt will not be possible to amend or transfer this booking.

I would like to thank you once again for choosing to stay with Sleepez Hotel Cardiff and we look

forward to seeing you soon.

Kind regards

Sleepez HotelCarliff

Reservations Team"

There is nothing on their web site or on the booking form explaining in writing the advanced purchase rates you have suggested - I was told by the General Manager that it was explained verbally to him - no paperwork was given to him apart from the Credit Card slip and a business card for the hotel. He is not completely compus mentos so may not have realised the implications told to him.

Holiday insurance was not taken, if available as only one night and may have been prohibitive due to his medical conditions

Interestingly the room rate of £195 each is over 3 times the normal room rate !!

Well I find it grossly unfair to refuse to refund on a room booked a year in advance - especially when the reservation was made only a very short while ago.

I appreciate that there was a reduced booking rate but still, I find the circumstances extremely unfair.

What are the cancellation rules for a full price booking and what is the price differential?

If the cancellation rule was explained at the time of the booking then it is unenforceable. In any event it may be an unfair term under UTCCR.

I understand from you that the booking was made over the counter - no writing was given and payment was taken and a receipt given and that's it.

They now say that the cancellation condition was explained verbally at the time. Is this correct.

Do you dispute the verbal explanation?

Also, until how long before a date does the reduced rate turn into a full rate?

I was not there - but he has said verbal only and nothing in writing about the advanced purchase rates.

As i said the rate he has paid is 3 times as much as for a normal room !!

If you look on their web site terms and conditions they say

"You may cancel your booking without penalty at any time until 14:00hrs on the day of arrival, unless otherwise stated on your confirmation.Late cancellations, i.e. after 14:00hrs on the day of arrival, we reserve the right to charge the first nights' accommodation rate"

Nothing about moving to a "full rate" as its 3 times as much as normal rate ie £60 average per nite

So are you saying that a disabled room is £195 - a regular room is £60????

You also said that the £195 was a reduced rate. What is the full rate. Also, is your disabled friend up for a bit of a battle on this?

Also, if you want us to help you then you will need to find out the answers the questions I have posed. For instance, call them and enquire about a booking for next week - on the equivalent day - a Saturday or whatever it is. You need to start collecting information

1016.jpg

Adapted Room

105.00 GBP

02.05.2015 - 03.05.2015

Adjusted to suit disabled guests, stylish design, wet room with power shower, large LCD TV, free wi-fi, work desk and air conditioned.

Just quickly went online to book 1 room for a Saturday in MAY.

Ta. Could you find out the online price for the match next year

Well that makes it even more unfair. They have sold a hotel room a year in advance. People are queuing up to get them at the same date but they refuse to cancel even though they could resell it easily - and even for more if they wanted. This is a jobsworth non-customer-facing attitude which brings no credit upon any decent hotel business.

I'd still like an answer to my earlier questions but I think that there is a basis for challenging their position if the customer is up for it.

If not, I would consider advertising the room on the internet for a good profit closer to the date

U are right normally £60 per night each and yes they are taking the p""" as the match will be sold out - as has been said they could sell the rooms over and over again - they said a reduced rate so god knows what the full rate could be - they are just making it up !! it is more that 100% mark up - its over 3 times just because of the match - Rip off isnt it. I was told that the average pint of larger was £8.50 on the day !!

As has been seen no rooms are available on that date and likely other hotels will be doing the same - the £60 figure I gave was the average price during the week as said by the General Manager to me. By the way the match is a Friday.

I havent spoken to the disabled person re a "fight" but knowing him he will be up to it on principle

Well talk to him and let us know

Well from what you say, he his main argument would be that the no-refund term was not brought to his attention when the booking was made.

Of course, they say different - so it his word against theirs.

If your friend can speak convincingly in court then the judge may well accept his story.

Of course, there is another question - is the hotel stupid enough to waste money on litigation when they can easily resell the room.

You need to look at the small claims county court guides we have here and see if you are prepared to go the court route. If you are, then understand the steps, send the LBA and then send them the Good News.

We will help you

As your friend can amend the reservation names, he could resell the room for a marked up price and make a profit.

Or, if he's not mean enough, he could just give it away for the price he paid.

This would avoid all troubles of county court and arguments about right or wrong.

P.S.: I was at Twickenham yesterday and pubs had same prices as any other day.

St. Giles hotel in Feltham, one stop from Twickenham and 1 minute from the station sold rooms for £80.

The price hike in wales is just shambolic.

You would use that as well - but you should not consider it as a "given".

The first ground that it wasn't incorporated into the contract is a winner if your story is accepted