Is this yellow box junction legal?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3350 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

a) A box junction must meet the kerb on all 4 corners but this one is marked at a T junction and is not marked at all on the westbound carriageway.

If you are going to try and be technical you should at least take 5 minutes to check you are correct!!

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/images/uksi_20023113_en_150

"I am therefore unable to accept the Apellent's submissions as to the construction of these regulations attractively and meticulously put though they were, The vehicle as seen in the CCTV was in contravention albeit briefly and the PCN was lawfully issued"

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

This case proves my point perfectly.

Have you read the whole document?

Are you trying to prove me wrong by providing evidence supporting my view?

You're not making much sense, should have found a case supporting your statements, not mine.

I'm puzzled...

This case proves my point perfectly.

Have you read the whole document?

Are you trying to prove me wrong by providing evidence supporting my view?

You're not making much sense, should have found a case supporting your statements, not mine.

I'm puzzled...

Considering the document opens with the statement that the case surrounds the interpretation of the statutory contravention of the stopping of vehicles in a box junction you are either being deliberately stupid or you really are an idiot!

Prohibition conveyed by markings in diagram 1043 or 1044

7.—(1) Except when placed in the circumstances described in paragraph 8, the road markings shown in diagrams 1043 and 1044 shall each convey the prohibition that no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicles

" The question might also be asked why then the draftsman did not simply create a contravention of stopping in a box junction and have done with it? What is the point of the reference to entering so that...? .This must be a matter of speculation, but the draftsman could hardly create such a contravention which, if read literally, would prohibit a motorist from stopping at all and thereby require the motorist to drive on into the rear of the stationary vehicle ahead. Exempting vehicles which had to stop to avoid doing so (obviously necessary from a common sense point of view) would then create an exemption for all vehicles doing what the junction was intended to prevent. Almost every motorist stationary in the junction would simply say, truthfully enough, "I had to stop to avoid running into the vehicle in front of me". The drafting of the contravention with its reference to "entering" places the emphasis on the motorist holding back at the entrance and avoiding the necessity to stop in the first place."

I told you to read the all document.

Edited by ploddertom
No need for name calling.

Can we all calm down a bit. This is going round in circles and not helping the OP at all who has not returned for the last 3 days or so since Post 3 and who can blame them. I accept there will be a difference of opinion in what everyone thinks but this has gone too far.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hang on a minute, it's ok for green and mean to call me stupid and an idiot and then I get my post altered because I used the same terms supported by evidence.

What's going on???

No, he said you were either being deliberately stupid or an idiot, not both.

I'm still waiting for an example where a motorist was issued a pcn solely for entering a YBJ.

No, he said you were either being deliberately stupid or an idiot, not both.

I'm still waiting for an example where a motorist was issued a pcn solely for entering a YBJ.

You're both illiterate idiots.

It's in black and white in my previous posts.

If after reading one line your brain starts thinking about the next can of beer surely we can't have a constructive argument.

Resorting to insults proves your inability to interact humanly.

I am surprised that the site team is fully supporting your failed attempt at trolling/bulling and even helping by editing my posts.

I must have misjudged the morality of cag.

You're both illiterate idiots.

It's in black and white in my previous posts.

If after reading one line your brain starts thinking about the next can of beer surely we can't have a constructive argument.

Resorting to insults proves your inability to interact humanly.

I am surprised that the site team is fully supporting your failed attempt at trolling/bulling and even helping by editing my posts.

I must have misjudged the morality of cag.

These offensive comments are not acceptable here.

You are banned for 7 days.

A shame because you are generally a decent poster.

If you'd care to withdraw the comment then we'll lift the suspension

I now see that the trade of insults was stared by Green and Mean. I've lifted the suspension and given you both an infraction.

Why don't you both grow up and discuss without insults. You don't make it fun for anyone - either of you

Edited by BankFodder
Edit

The only reason the LA don't usually issue pcn for entering the box when the exit is blocked but the vehicle doesn't stop because traffic moved, is because it would seem unreasonable to prosecute someone who has not caused any obstruction to the traffic.

The reason is that it is not a contravention. Although the vehicle may have entered the box when the exit was blocked by a stationary vehicle, it only becomes a contravention if the vehicle stops in the box, if it manages to exit the box without stopping - no contravention.

The Highway Code gives general advice and gives the references to the relevant legislation. In this case, as in post 10, it is The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002, Schedule 19, 7, (1).

'no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicles'.

Ho hum slap on wrist accepted! I still don't understand how the following statute can be interpreted by anyone with a basic understanding of the English language as making it an offence to enter a box junction without having stopped but I'll leave that for others to ponder on.....life is just too short!!

7.—(1) Except when placed in the circumstances described in paragraph 8, the road markings shown in diagrams 1043 and 1044 shall each convey the prohibition that no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of stationary vehicles

taken together with post #6 for eg. it does seem to follow as you say?

what does para 8 say?

taken together with #6 for eg. seems to follow.

what does para 8 say?

Para 8 is for when a yellow box is used with a traffic calming scheme eg give way to oncoming traffic but the offence is still stopping.

8. When the road marking shown in diagram 1043 or 1044 is placed in conjunction with the signs shown in diagrams 615 and 811 on an area of carriageway which is less than 4.5 metres wide at its narrowest point, the road marking shall convey the prohibition that no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of oncoming vehicles or other stationary vehicles beyond the box junction

Para 8 is for when a yellow box is used with a traffic calming scheme eg give way to oncoming traffic but the offence is still stopping.

8. When the road marking shown in diagram 1043 or 1044 is placed in conjunction with the signs shown in diagrams 615 and 811 on an area of carriageway which is less than 4.5 metres wide at its narrowest point, the road marking shall convey the prohibition that no person shall cause a vehicle to enter the box junction so that the vehicle has to stop within the box junction due to the presence of oncoming vehicles or other stationary vehicles beyond the box junction

cheers