• Tweets

• Did you take screenshots or anything of the descriptions that you gave? Do you have any evidence to support you say? In any event, you paid for the insurance, you declared the parts having given the descriptions and they accepted it all on that basis. You have begun the claim procedure yet so I suggest that you do so. We'll see what happens. In any event, it could be said that the various sections are contradictory. Parts relating to vehicles are containing three separate sections and it is relatively difficult to discern which section a particular part should come into. Section 69 of the consumer rights act relates to ambiguities and basically says that an ambiguity must be interpreted in favour of the consumer.  
    • I have booked a Hotel/Flights Package with the above paying a 10% deposit with the balance due a month before travel next August.   On looking at Cancellation Charges they virtually say 100% 84 days out plus.   According to the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements regulations 2018 - termination fees have to be "Reasonable and Justifiable"   I find it hard to comprehend how last minutes charges could fall into the above description.   For example the hotel is available on Booking.com for our dates with no pre-payment and free cancellation up to the day before arrival.   I'm not sure of their arrangement with BA but the tickets we reserved have doubled in price in the last week and could easily be resold.   I can't find any anecdotal evidence or Court Cases relating to them trying to collect Cancellation Charges from people who have not already paid the full balance and cancel. If I were to cancel 8 months out is it likely they would pursue me for the remaining balance.    
    • Hi   Something else I think you need to ask the Insurer for Clarification on is.   That you require full clarification on which clauses within the Terms & Condition of the Policy they are using to refuse payment under the Policy.     I would also consider sending the Insurer a Subject Access Request simply asking for 'ALL DATA' this covers whatever format they hold it in whether it be email/telephone recording/written format etc. (note: if they require you to use their own subject access request form always put 'ALL DATA' on their form)    
    • matters not what they come up with it's statute barred      
    • Revised defence:   The Defendant contends that the particulars of claim vague and are generic in nature. The Defendant accordingly sets out its case below and relies on CPR r 16.5 (3) in relation to any particular allegation to which a specific response has not been made.   1. The Claimant claims £2247.91 is owed under a regulated consumer credit account under reference xxxxxxx. I do not recall the precise details or agreement and have sought verification from the claimant and the claimants solicitor by way of a CPR 31.14 and section 78 request who are yet to fully comply. I dont believe they have provided this yet correctly   2. Paragraph 3 is denied.The Defendant contends that no notice of assignment pursuant to s.136 of the Law of Property Act & s.82 A of the CCA1974 has ever been served by the Claimant as alleged or at all. still stands   3. It is therefore denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant, the Claimant has failed to provide any evidence of assignment/balance/breach requested by CPR 31. 14, therefore the Claimant is put to strict proof to:   (a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement; and (b) show and evidence any cause of action and service of a Default Notice or termination notice; and © show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and (d) show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;   4. After receiving this claim I requested by way of a CPR 31.14 request and a section 78 request for copies of any documents referred to within the Claimants' particulars to establish what the claim is for. To date they have failed to comply to my CPR 31.14 request and also my section 78 request and remain in default with regards to this request.   5. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.   6. On the alternative, as the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the consumer credit Act 1974.   7. By reasons of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.    
  • Our picks

greenlikeapples

Untaxed Car, Multiple Ridiculous Fines, Should I Fight It?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1181 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi so, I will try to be succinct!

We all know the law changed, but I didn't quite get it. I bought a car second hand, it came with a tax disk, I thought I was fine for a few months. Obviously I wasn't, I understand that, and am happy to pay a REASONABLE amount because of this.

I was caught on camera on 21st December near Oxford.

I was caught on my home street in London on 13th January.

I was clamped on 14th of January, costing me £100 to get out. I taxed my car that same day.

On 15th January I get two letters, both dated 14th January - obviously these would not be received until after I got clamped.

One letter referred to being caught on camera in December, charging me £117.

The second letter referred to being caught on 13th January, asking me to pay £145.

On phoning the DVLA, I was told I am supposed to pay BOTH fines. PLUS the £100 for the clamping. DO the maths if you want but it's a lot of money, for one (accidental) offence.

I wrote a nice long, detailed letter of appeal, asking for a reasonable reduction and consolidation of these "out of court settlements). I have just received a letter telling me that none of my reasons were valid, and I still have to pay everything.

Shall I fight it? It seems a crazy system, even if I swallow the fee for the clamping, having to pay twice for the same offence. And the fact that they seem to have KEPT THE DECEMBER OFFENCE BACK UNTIL THEY CAUGHT ME AGAIN, SENDING LETTERS FOR BOTH THE OFFENCES ON THE SAME DAY seems either very sneaky, to get maximum money from me, or at least very bad admin.

If I do fight it, where will the court case be held? Locally to me or in Swansea? Anyone know?

If I do fight it, how much might I have to pay if I lose?

If I do fight it, anyone know my chances? Should I just pay because offences are offences?

Thanks all, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jon

It wasnt one offence. You were caught twice. Maybe for the same reason, but it is YOUR responsibility to ensure the tax is current and up to date. The government/DVLA even provide a website to make it 100x easier to check now.

It might be bad admin, as its the DVLA, but thats still no excuse. You were not taxed in december and you were still not taxed in january.

You can contest it in court of course, but what would your defence be? As i said, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure your vehicle and paperwork complies with all current legal regulations and laws. The court will even tell you this when you go there. Remember, theyve heard EVERY excuse possible.

Sadly it seems you were caught bang to rights, and imo you should bite the bullet and not do the same thing again.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Okay - I appreciate your candour and straightforwardness.

If I wasn't clear in my post, I agree with you that I should pay for my offence. I am happy to do so, in the name of being honest/honourable/having a simple life.

But it is only one offence. Just because I was caught twice doesn't mean it happened twice. If that is the case then I could have been caught once a day (if not more) for the entire period, and then I would be paying thousands. then they just clamp me after a few months and I'm in debtors prison (if such a thing still exists). Nice one. I know I am pushing a point, but I just find it a bit extreme and a bit sneaky. To double, if not triple, my punishment - ie. two settlements and a clamping.

Its a tough old life,as has been said you need to bite the bullet,I once knew someone that used to travel along the same road everyday,it was a 40 mile limit,they changed the speed limit to 30,putting up loads a signs,he never took any notice and just carried on!

He got two speed fines every day for a fortnight,he had to pay them all,he was lucky though,they only gave him six points so he still had his licence,icing on the cake that!

the offense is prob something like "driving a vehical without tax"

so unless you staye din your car from the moment of being caught the first time right to the moment you were caught the second, you have made at least 2 jorneys without valid tax.

This means you drove at least Twice, without valid tax.

Hope that highlights why they will not consider it a single offense

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Imagine speeding on a motorway, you get caught by a fixed camera doing 90 miles per hour, you do another 100miles and go past another fixed camera still doing 90 miles an hour. You havent stopped or slowed, its still the same period of speeding but you will have been caught twice and fined twice.

Same with the tax.

the offense is prob something like "driving a vehical without tax"

so unless you staye din your car from the moment of being caught the first time right to the moment you were caught the second, you have made at least 2 jorneys without valid tax.

This means you drove at least Twice, without valid tax.

Hope that highlights why they will not consider it a single offense

According to the OP the car was taxed but not in their name so not sure where that leaves them. The new system is a stupid system and causing a lot of grief just so that the DVLA can catch people out. UK must be one of the few countries where the tax disc becomes invalid on sale of the vehicle even though the tax disc is paid up for another several months.

According to the OP the car was taxed but not in their name so not sure where that leaves them. The new system is a stupid system and causing a lot of grief just so that the DVLA can catch people out. UK must be one of the few countries where the tax disc becomes invalid on sale of the vehicle even though the tax disc is paid up for another several months.

This +1.

The OP was under the impression the car was taxed. I have recently done exactly the same and didn't know the new rules. If I receive a summons, I will do everything in my power to bring this shoddy practice to light.

Ignorance of the law is no defence. Dvla wont entertain a defence of 'i didn't know I had to'. Court might, but very unlikely. I'd pay it before it gets more costly.

And no, other countries have their own way of doing things, but alot of them certainly are not easier than the UK. All you do here is log on, and pay. Done. Nothing else. No plate changes, no visits to a registration centre. Its easier here than in others.

Surprisingly some are still advertising their cars with tax left. Guess not all are up to speed with the changes.

Surprisingly some are still advertising their cars with tax left. Guess not all are up to speed with the changes.

Probably but from experience, a lot of people do know the changes, they just advertise it as with tax hoping others dont, so they can get a quick sale.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Advertising "with tax" would mean that, although he will not benefit from the value, a Purchaser is unlikely to get 'pulled' by ANPR cameras/patrols while driving it home from from the place of sale.

Or the next day ;)

The ANPR units would only be aware of the sale after the documentation had both reached DVLA (only via mail, now DVLA have unhelpfully closed all local offices!), and been processed by DVLA so the unit's database can be amended.

Advertising as taxed for test drive purposes I understand but advertising with length of time left would imply it's available to pass on to the prospective buyer.

Just wanted to find out what happened in the end. Did you go to court? Pay? I have the same thing. DVLA fined me 5 times before I knew my tax was overdue. I now have a total of £1713 in fines + £100 clamping.

best start a new thread

PLEASE DONT HIT QUOTE IF THE LAST POST IS THE ONE YOU ARE REPLYING TOO.

MAKES A THREAD TWICE AS LONG TO SCROLL THROUGH!

please do not post jpg images directly to a topic..USE PDF ....READ UPLOAD.

WE CAN'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD - I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here

Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here

Reclaim Bank Account, Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here

The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here

spreadsheets