Untaxed Car, Multiple Ridiculous Fines, Should I Fight It?

greenlikeapples
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2782 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi so, I will try to be succinct!

We all know the law changed, but I didn't quite get it. I bought a car second hand, it came with a tax disk, I thought I was fine for a few months. Obviously I wasn't, I understand that, and am happy to pay a REASONABLE amount because of this.

I was caught on camera on 21st December near Oxford.

I was caught on my home street in London on 13th January.

I was clamped on 14th of January, costing me £100 to get out. I taxed my car that same day.

On 15th January I get two letters, both dated 14th January - obviously these would not be received until after I got clamped.

One letter referred to being caught on camera in December, charging me £117.

The second letter referred to being caught on 13th January, asking me to pay £145.

On phoning the DVLA, I was told I am supposed to pay BOTH fines. PLUS the £100 for the clamping. DO the maths if you want but it's a lot of money, for one (accidental) offence.

I wrote a nice long, detailed letter of appeal, asking for a reasonable reduction and consolidation of these "out of court settlements). I have just received a letter telling me that none of my reasons were valid, and I still have to pay everything.

Shall I fight it? It seems a crazy system, even if I swallow the fee for the clamping, having to pay twice for the same offence. And the fact that they seem to have KEPT THE DECEMBER OFFENCE BACK UNTIL THEY CAUGHT ME AGAIN, SENDING LETTERS FOR BOTH THE OFFENCES ON THE SAME DAY seems either very sneaky, to get maximum money from me, or at least very bad admin.

If I do fight it, where will the court case be held? Locally to me or in Swansea? Anyone know?

If I do fight it, how much might I have to pay if I lose?

If I do fight it, anyone know my chances? Should I just pay because offences are offences?

Thanks all, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Jon

It wasnt one offence. You were caught twice. Maybe for the same reason, but it is YOUR responsibility to ensure the tax is current and up to date. The government/DVLA even provide a website to make it 100x easier to check now.

It might be bad admin, as its the DVLA, but thats still no excuse. You were not taxed in december and you were still not taxed in january.

You can contest it in court of course, but what would your defence be? As i said, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure your vehicle and paperwork complies with all current legal regulations and laws. The court will even tell you this when you go there. Remember, theyve heard EVERY excuse possible.

Sadly it seems you were caught bang to rights, and imo you should bite the bullet and not do the same thing again.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Okay - I appreciate your candour and straightforwardness.

If I wasn't clear in my post, I agree with you that I should pay for my offence. I am happy to do so, in the name of being honest/honourable/having a simple life.

But it is only one offence. Just because I was caught twice doesn't mean it happened twice. If that is the case then I could have been caught once a day (if not more) for the entire period, and then I would be paying thousands. then they just clamp me after a few months and I'm in debtors prison (if such a thing still exists). Nice one. I know I am pushing a point, but I just find it a bit extreme and a bit sneaky. To double, if not triple, my punishment - ie. two settlements and a clamping.

Its a tough old life,as has been said you need to bite the bullet,I once knew someone that used to travel along the same road everyday,it was a 40 mile limit,they changed the speed limit to 30,putting up loads a signs,he never took any notice and just carried on!

He got two speed fines every day for a fortnight,he had to pay them all,he was lucky though,they only gave him six points so he still had his licence,icing on the cake that!

the offense is prob something like "driving a vehical without tax"

so unless you staye din your car from the moment of being caught the first time right to the moment you were caught the second, you have made at least 2 jorneys without valid tax.

This means you drove at least Twice, without valid tax.

Hope that highlights why they will not consider it a single offense

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Imagine speeding on a motorway, you get caught by a fixed camera doing 90 miles per hour, you do another 100miles and go past another fixed camera still doing 90 miles an hour. You havent stopped or slowed, its still the same period of speeding but you will have been caught twice and fined twice.

Same with the tax.

the offense is prob something like "driving a vehical without tax"

so unless you staye din your car from the moment of being caught the first time right to the moment you were caught the second, you have made at least 2 jorneys without valid tax.

This means you drove at least Twice, without valid tax.

Hope that highlights why they will not consider it a single offense

According to the OP the car was taxed but not in their name so not sure where that leaves them. The new system is a stupid system and causing a lot of grief just so that the DVLA can catch people out. UK must be one of the few countries where the tax disc becomes invalid on sale of the vehicle even though the tax disc is paid up for another several months.

According to the OP the car was taxed but not in their name so not sure where that leaves them. The new system is a stupid system and causing a lot of grief just so that the DVLA can catch people out. UK must be one of the few countries where the tax disc becomes invalid on sale of the vehicle even though the tax disc is paid up for another several months.

This +1.

The OP was under the impression the car was taxed. I have recently done exactly the same and didn't know the new rules. If I receive a summons, I will do everything in my power to bring this shoddy practice to light.

Ignorance of the law is no defence. Dvla wont entertain a defence of 'i didn't know I had to'. Court might, but very unlikely. I'd pay it before it gets more costly.

And no, other countries have their own way of doing things, but alot of them certainly are not easier than the UK. All you do here is log on, and pay. Done. Nothing else. No plate changes, no visits to a registration centre. Its easier here than in others.

Surprisingly some are still advertising their cars with tax left. Guess not all are up to speed with the changes.

Probably but from experience, a lot of people do know the changes, they just advertise it as with tax hoping others dont, so they can get a quick sale.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Advertising "with tax" would mean that, although he will not benefit from the value, a Purchaser is unlikely to get 'pulled' by ANPR cameras/patrols while driving it home from from the place of sale.

Or the next day ;)

The ANPR units would only be aware of the sale after the documentation had both reached DVLA (only via mail, now DVLA have unhelpfully closed all local offices!), and been processed by DVLA so the unit's database can be amended.

• 1 year later...

best start a new thread

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...