Untaxed car that I thought was taxed

gavc82
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have received a £80 fine for driving an untaxed vehice.

I had set up a direct debit on 1/11/14 and payments were successfully taken for November and December.

No payment was requested (according to bank) for Jan or Feb (plenty of funds available)

DVLA have not contacted me prior to issuing the fine asking for alternative payment. (in event of cancellation of DD this is there procedure)

I did change insurance provider midway through December, could this be the source of the problem?

I am reluctant to pay the fine as I feel I have done nothing wrong.

Any advice would be great

thanks

If you can prove all that, then i would suggest appealing it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

If you can prove all that, then i would suggest appealing it.

For proof all I have is bank statements showing funds were available and that the DD has not been cancelled. Do you think this would be sufficient for a successful appeal?

Thanks for your reply

Maybe ask the bank if the dd is still active and if not, who cancelled it

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Maybe ask the bank if the dd is still active and if not, who cancelled it

The bank have confirmed it is active but I cannot really get proof of this. Seems to be a problem at dvla side but no one will actually discuss it over the phone they just want payment. All disputes must be done in writing.

I am concerned if I go into dispute by the time they get back to me the deadline for paying the fine will have passed

For proof all I have is bank statements showing funds were available and that the DD has not been cancelled. Do you think this would be sufficient for a successful appeal?

Thanks for your reply

I don't see why not. I'd be fighting this all the way.

So I take it the car still isn't taxed?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

This surely is yet another problem caused by the latest money grabbing idea from DVLA. Surely being able to buy a car with its tax intact was a good thing? It allowed a vehicle to be bought and driven away with just a call to the insurer, not now of course. That's to say nothing of all that lovely revenue they get for nothing!

If the vehicle had been taxed in a post office with a disc to put in the window, this thread would not exist would it?

This surely is yet another problem caused by the latest money grabbing idea from DVLA. Surely being able to buy a car with its tax intact was a good thing? It allowed a vehicle to be bought and driven away with just a call to the insurer, not now of course. That's to say nothing of all that lovely revenue they get for nothing!

If the vehicle had been taxed in a post office with a disc to put in the window, this thread would not exist would it?

"There speaketh Logic" !!

Never a truer word said.

Money, Money and more Money

To tax you car you must have valid insurance and MOT (if required) it seems that the DVLA system cannot claim the DD if one of these is not in place at the time of the DD being called.

I can see this as being an ongoing problem with paying your car tax by monthly DD. If your MOT expires on the same date as the DD is called then your tax is not renewed. Same goes for the insurance, if you change providers then the details may not get to the database before the DD is claimed therefore the DD is not claimed.

A massive money making exercise by the DVLA, as well as paying more car tax by paying monthly, you stand a chance of being fined for not having it because their system cannot collect the DD if you have no insurance or MOT.

I think you will need to prove the following

1. MOT was valid at time DD should have been collected

2. Insurance was in place when DD should have been taken

3. DD was active on date it should have been taken

You will probably not be the first (or last) person to be caught out by this.

• 7 months later...

I sent copies of the stuff and a screen print out showing that the DD was still in place, they sent me 2 letters saying i had 2 different fines and they were happy for me to pay the fines.

Wtf should i do now???? If i could afford the fines i could have paid 1 yr road tax in 1 go rather than dd

I'd say, if you have proof that the car was MOT'd and insured and that the DD was active but not called, tell the DVLA that they either cancel the fine(s) or that you'll see them in court.

A letter, something along the lines of...

Dear DVLA.

As I have previously (told/proved to) you, the vehicle index XXXX XXX was on the date and at the time in question both properly insured and MOT'd and that the Direct Debit(s) as set up with my bank were in place, active and the accounts had the funds to pay available. The fault for my vehicle being untaxed lies squarely at the doors of DVLA Swansea.

I hereby invite you to either cancel the fine(s) that you have imposed upon me for your own mistakes or take me to court where I will be more than happy to prove to the magistrates that this is entirely your error.

Yours

Recorded Keeper.

Please note that my posts are my opinion only and should not be taken as any kind of legal advice.
In fact, they're probably just waffling and can be quite safely and completely ignored as you wish.