• Tweets

• They refer to the ID in their statement (Para 19)....   Para 6 is all one statement....broken into extension paragraphs   Paragraph 5 is the killer...I have never tried it in mobile contracts before..lets see what the court thinks.
    • Thanks very much Andy for putting your time in it's really appreciated.   I've removed the bit about ID because I couldn't find where I read it, maybe I imagined it. I do quite like the bit about CPR 3.4 (2 a/c) - practice direction.   Out of curiosity more than anything, paragraph 6 has 2 more paragraphs underneath it. Is it fine to have these like this in a witness statement, they don't need to be 7 and 8?   Now let's send this and see what happens next.. 🍿
    • Well you are in a position where if you issue the claim now and they fold, then you could lose your claim fee and also be left with the vehicle. If you return the vehicle to them for repair then there is a risk that if they folded you might have difficulty getting the vehicle back – but because it is in your name, I expect you eventually would. If you decide to issue the claim then frankly I think I would issue this evening. You have pretty well done the 14 days and in view of their letter suggesting that they might fold, I think you would be justified in acting quickly. I suppose that is possible that they will defend – if for no other reason to cause a delay before any judgement is given. If they did defend then eventually you would receive a directions questionnaire which would ask you various questions as to the management of the case and also if you had any orders to suggest. I don't know if you would succeed but I would propose to the judge that the court orders that the defendants may only continue to defend if they pay the sum claimed into court by way of a security. You would justify this by providing a copy of the letter which showed that they were thinking of dissolving the company. If you were able to get this order then if they did not pay the money in, then you could apply for an immediate judgement and then have it enforced by the High Court enforcement officers. However this is quite a way down the line. I would also follow the company https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06840157 so that you would get early notice of any proposals to dissolve it and you might then be in a position to object. Once the claim was issued, I suppose that you could contact them and discuss the possibility of further repairs. I have to say that you say that you don't believe them, but on the other hand it would be very unusual for them to admit to their customers that they were thinking of ceasing to trade. That certainly sounds to me as if they are trying to be straight dealing with things. I think it's up to you whether or not you want to risk the claim fee – but I also think that you need to make a very quick decision on this and if you decide to go ahead, then you issue the claim this evening.
    • so just ignore the overdraft debts ?  
    • Thanks guys for your input,    Yes Andy, same court, my friends wife only checked her credit file when her friend got refused credit and checked hers. I will have a good read of your comments Andy, and update you on how I am going to advise her to proceed. Thanks Again
  • Our picks

missfriendly

Split CCJ Saga - Bryan Carter -> Nationwide -> FOS -> Written Off

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1615 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I received a CCJ for £400 from Bryan Carter in January 2008 that I have almost paid in full now.

The actual debt was £8,000 and reading through these forums, I am already anticipating the 2nd CCJ for the same debt. I've read a lot about how this is against the county court rules - is there a definitive wording to put when you contact the courts to make sure it gets set aside? It seems like so many people have this issue, it may be good to get a template together for it.

Also, if this hypothetical CCJ is set aside after they try to chase me for £7,600 - what is the status of the debt then?

1. Can they still chase me privately?

2. How does this debt go on my credit file? (will it be a new debt entry for £7,600 with no default date - or will it go back on the original account, which defaulted in January 2007?)

Any help / advice appreciaed, thank you!

Brian Carter CCJ'd me for a small percentage of a debt I owed in 2008 - (£400 on an £8,000 debt).

I have now settled the CCJ portion of the debt, and they will be writing to me to arrange a payment schedule for the outstanding amount which wasn't included on the judgement.

Now the judgement is settled, do I have any legal obligation to continue to pay the outstanding amount?

I know I have a moral obligation, but if I start paying off the amount above and beyond the CCJ, do I then become liable for the outstanding amount of the debt?

I have read other similar threads, but I'd rather 'nip this in the bud' now instead of waiting for them to try and CCJ again for the same debt. Any help much appreciated!

you cannot bring a cause of action on the same debt

this is a con that he uses to get his costs first

he can go and whistle for the balance now you settled the CCJ

Thanks Postggj - I just replied, but my reply seems to have been swallowed by the hungry internet hamster. Drafting a letter to send now when they send through the form for new payment arrangements, will post here when I'm done!

let me know what you have written before you send it as you will need some reference to CPR in the letter ref the County court Act

DO YOU STILL HAVE THE PARTICULARS OF CLAIM ON THAT £400 DEBT

lets confirm things first before we reply to carter

• Confused 1

Hi again! I have the CCJ number, date of judgement and amount, and I know who their client is (the guys I owe the money to!).

This is what I have written so far

"Thank you for the Certificate of Satisfaction for (CCJ CASE NUMBER) on account (THEIR ACCOUNT NUMBER).

After seeking advice, I have learned that any outstanding debt is no longer enforceable by yourselves, as you cannot bring more than one claim for the same course of action. I have paid the amount stipulated by the court, and - as far as I am aware - for all legal intents and purposes, this matter is now settled.

Given this situation, which prevents you from taking legal action to persue any outstanding amount, and my inability to pay due to my personal circumstances, I am wondering if you could request that your client closes this matter and writes off any remainder on the account. I feel this solution would save a lot of time and effort on both parts.

Many thanks for your consideration...

Me, etc"

Should I add more legal stuff in there, do you think, or go with this for an opening gambit? Really appreciate your help!

No forget the 'legal stuff' you have stated the fact and produced the certificate, there is no argument that you are in the right, well done.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Excellent, that's all that is needed forget the 'legal stuff' it's not needed!!

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

It is unlawful under section 35 County Courts Act 1984 to split one claim into smaller claims, did you manage to get the particulars of claim on the £400 CCJ ???

If carter has not contacted you requesting payment on the balance, why are you grabbing the bull by the tail. Just wait for his letter before action before you do anything

Hi! You may remember me from such unpopular threads as

Bryan Carter - I Predict a Split CCJ

• I paid the CCJ in full that Bryan Carter issued for me in January 2008 shortly after posting that.

• In June 2014 Nationwide started chasing me for the remainder of the debt.

• In July 2014 Nationwide passed the debt to a debt collection agency.

• At the end of November 2014, I complained to the FOS about Nationwide's handling of the case saying the debt was unenforcable.

• Nationwide backed down, wrote off the debt, and offered me £100 in compensation.

NOW - this sounds good yes? I should be all :clap2:

The thing is, the way the FOS response is worded:

Nationwide has explained that due to the passage of time, it is unable to evidence that it

was made clear to you that you would be liable for the outstanding debt. It says that “In line

with policy agreed at the time proceedings were issued for part of the debt only.”

So for other people with a split CCJ be very careful. I've written back and asked my comments to be forwarded to Nationwide & Bryan Carter, but it's not like they'll listen to me.

I wish they had acknowledged that once a CCJ has been issued and settled, any remainder of the debt becomes legally unenforceable, though, if only to save other customers. You can’t have two CCJs for one debt, and you can’t attach ‘conditions’ to a CCJ (“after 7 years have passed we’ll come back and chase you for the same debt again!”) – otherwise a debt would never die.

Frustrating that they’ve worded it how they have. CCJ replaces the original CCA in full, so even if they did allegedly ‘tell me’ I was liable, they’d not be able to do a thing if I challenged it legally (which thankfully you saved me from doing!). How come I know more about the law regarding this than they do..?

Really though, how come I know more about the law regarding this than they do..? Probably thanks to this forum! :D

Anyone who is faced with a split claim simply needs to respond as follows in their defence...

" Furthermore any claim for partial monies is averred Contrary to s35 of the county court Act 1984 s35 Division of causes of action."

Fortunately it seems to be a practice that is less adopted now...in particularly by Mr C.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yeah, I did that Andy - Nationwide still continued to chase me after I sent them the letter.

You have already issued a CCJ for this debt , and the CCJ is now settled. As you know, you cannot go to court twice for the same debt: “It is an offence under section 35 of the County Courts Act to bring more than one claim for the same cause of action” – therefore this debt is not enforceable.

Anyone in this situation needs to stick FIRMLY to their guns.

:laser: