Hoist/Cohen - Claimform old Cahoot flexi loan from 2001***Claim Discontinued***

billyrayvalentine
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Was it not on small track or did it not reach allocation ?

I would of thought at only £18ph a few hours either way arnt going to make any difference, in my experience as a LiP you can claim for a lot more time than solicitor could, i.e 5 hours research etc. I once claimed about £400 for quite a simple case but the Judge used the LiP can only get max 3/4 of what a solicitor would get rule, so ended up with just under £300 I recall.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My own management time to deal wth the claim, research on case law, drafting a defence, even to the extent of car parking fees

I did ask for £200, they came back with £80.00, we settled on £125.00

I was told at the time i could claim no more than a third what a solicitor would charge

I was happy anyway with the pleasure of a DCA paying me

If a claimant discontinued a claim, are LIP costs recoverable for completing cost/assessment forms (n522 form etc)?

Or do costs cease as soon as a notice of discontinuance is received?

What form are you referring to when you say costs assessment?

Do you mean applying for detailed assessment?

If a claimant discontinued a claim, are LIP costs recoverable for completing cost/assessment forms (n522 form etc)?

Or do costs cease as soon as a notice of discontinuance is received?

Is this in connection to your main thread Billy ?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?441250-Hoist-Cohen-Claimform-old-Cahoot-loan-from-2001/page7

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Wasted costs on Discontinuance of claim in the Fast track is applied under a wasted costs order pursuant to CPR 38.6 & CPR 44.9.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

I would be very wary of telling Ganymede the court process. I have learnt a lot form that individual

If i can give some advice it will be to check again as you will probably be in error, and Ganymede is seldom in error

https://www.gov.uk/assess-approve-court-costs

*** Update - Discontinuance***

The Claimants solicitor sent me a "notice of discontinuance".

I doubled checked with the court to see if this was official. They said it was. So more or less case closed. The court confirmed that there is nothing more to do on my side and that they dont issue anything official to me.

Things I learnt:

Always meet you deadlines, eg comply with court directions and prove it with recorded delivery

Never assume anything, unless the court tells you

Don't always believe what you read on these forums, as there is some misinformation out there, best to double check

Keep a spreadsheet timeline, and update it along the way

The court doesn't really value letters, they prefer an official form + fee, where applicable

Never sign anything from the otherside, unless its crucial, as often they are trying to hoodwink you

Good policy to call the court once a week for an update.

Excellent Billy...delighted for you

Wasted costs now....Wasted costs on Discontinuance of claim in the Fast track is applied under a wasted costs order pursuant to CPR 38.6 & CPR 44.9.

Thread title amended to reflect the outcome.

Regards

Andy

Can i just ask

You have yet to be awarded costs from the court to claim??

You are asking for costs because none have been awarded yet by the court as the claimant withdrew their action.

Have you yet asked the claimant to pay your management costs by mutual consent prior to litigation??

Or am i barking up the wrong tree

You apply for a wasted costs order.You can approach the claimant informally first though and try to agree without court intervention.

Andy

You apply for a wasted costs order.You can approach the claimant informally first though and try to agree without court intervention.

Andy

That was my understanding

Detailed costs assessment is if you have already been awarded costs by the court and dispute those costs

But stand to be corrected

Can i just ask

You have yet to be awarded costs from the court to claim??

You are asking for costs because none have been awarded yet by the court as the claimant withdrew their action.

Have you yet asked the claimant to pay your management costs by mutual consent prior to litigation??

Or am i barking up the wrong tree

I have asked for costs up and 'til discontinuance which you are allowed to do under CPR 38.6. However, if they ignore you, you have to be able to enforce this, you do this by getting a default costs certificate. To get one of these (assuming no prior objection) you need to have served a N252 form, bill of costs, and their original notice of discontinuance. If you havent done this, you cant get it. If there is some disagreement on costs etc, you have to have a detailed assessment of costs hearing.

But did you submit a cost application to the court prior to the discontinuance??

I am sorry but i have yet to be convinced by your argument

This is handled by a wasted costs order if either side cannot reach settlement out of court

LIP costs are handled under CPR 48.6

But as always

stand to be corrected

Edited by obiter dictum

But did you submit a cost application to the court prior to the discontinuance??

I am sorry but i have yet to be convinced by your argument

This is handled by a wasted costs order if either side cannot reach settlement out of court

LIP costs are handled under CPR 48.6

But as always

stand to be corrected

I didnt submit a cost application prior as it never went to a hearing.

Similar to this:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?197970-howard-cohen-help-needed-with-court-docs-**DISCONTINUED**&p=3011387&viewfull=1#post3011387

So if you did not submit a costs application to the court before they withdrew

Why are you applying for a DETAILED cost assessment instead of a wasted costs order??

Confused.com

So presumably to get a wasted costs order you need to submit an application notice (n244 form), and pay the £155 fee and go to a hearing, and hope for all wasted costs to be awarded?

I read a few threads, with similar situations than my own, and they did what i'm doing. I am confused.com now

I have already advised the course of action in post #142 above...if they are not in agreement to your wasted costs then you apply for a wasted costs order...it should not require a hearing.