• Tweets

• have you written evidence it was hacked?    
    • well you see the thing is that document could have come from anywhere here on CAG their filing cabinet then all they do it type your details in....no they wouldn't do that would they....   its supposed to come from the original creditor, and a correct return typically does have a tick box with your typed name by it and the IP address used and the time of it etc etc.   sadly cabot are masters and have alot of filing cabinets..... lots of claimform threads here on cat debts   is the address the correct one for time of sign up?   dx    
    • OK got access to the SLC portal and there is absolutely nothing there for the 1996 loan that Shoosmiths are dealing with, only a subsequent loan I took out in 2002.   What does that mean, if anything?
    • My son is in his 30's and he is very gullible.   The letter from his bank states " that they have contacted the retailer's bank and they believe the transaction to be yours. If you do not recognise this payment contact the retailer as they will be able to provide you with a more detailed information. Should you be able to provide further evidence to support that the transaction was neither made nor authorised by you, please contact us."   The bank also provided the delivery address and the name of the retailer.   How do you provide further evidence to support a transaction that was not authorised by you when the account was hacked through scammers?
    • So they have to basically provide full proof that I checked a box in agreement to validate that CCA? And at the minute it's basically just a piece of paper with my name and (old} address on it?   Is it worth putting in another IA a little nearer the time demanding this again? Stating that? Giving them enough time to legally comply, but not too much time?
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Regal Credit Consultants - Collecting small Swifctover insurance figure

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2203 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Has anyone had any dealings with these?

in August I closed a bank account and forgot to pay the final month on this.

Left a £30 amount owing, I thought no problem i'll pay it.

Forgot all about it and canceled the insurance before the renewal date for which I have confirmation.

Forgot all about it .

Today I've had a letter from Regal asking for £52. This is more than £30 and the extra charge must of come from somewhere.

Now we know you never ring debt collectors but its a small amount and I had some anger to vent.

Firstly he told me it was because I cancelled after the renewal date (which is rubbish as I've got an email confirmation)

and it was in the contract so I asked him how can a contract be in force after the end date?,

surely a contract ends the last day unless you renew it which I didn't.

Then he started on about some revolving charge relating to credit interest charged

because I broke the agreement and the creditor being allowed to charge a fee.

What an absolute load of rubbish.

I told him I won't be paying a penny till I've got a full written statement detailing all payments

and a detailed breakdown of where they came to the figure.

To which he replied "we are just collectors that get given a figure to collect".

I asked him how they can go around writing to people asking for money without knowing what they are demanding money for

and also asked how he knew that I had not renewed when he didn't know what he was collecting?.

Gave him a telling off for the way another unrelated company spoke to my mum over a phone bill

which was paid and he put me on to his manager, sounded like he was going to cry.

Manager told me they will hold the file till they can get they can get the info from the client.

Im not a nasty person or anything but this was sort of my experiment knowing that its a very small amount

that I'm not disputing that I owe the amount and will pay it as soon as they come back with a correct figure

but the lie spouting just shocked me and the fact he admitted he didn't actually know anything about what he was collecting is baffling

The idea that in the UK in 2015 a company can sit with a list of addresses and phone numbers

+ a figure then harass them into handing over money is outragious.

I can easily see how they intimidate people into paying what they can't afford or more than they owe,

his tone was condescending and a bit agressive + he would not take anything I said as truth.

Dont worry about it. Dont talk to them over the phone.

Just hang up the next time they ring and say to them "In Writing Only"

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

They will say and make up ANYTHING over the phone purely to make you pay them. Just stay off the phone and if they ring, tell them in whatever way you want to F.O.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Yeah don't worry I won't speak to them again.

I rang them, they don't have my number and I called them on Skype with the number blocked.

He just couldn't get the jist.

His view was that they would keep collecting and that if I want to know why the figure is wrong

I need to get onto Swifctover where I was saying to him that if they are asking me for money

then its his responsibility to provide the relevant info or stop collecting.

His manager said it is on hold till they get the info and I made it clear i'd not pay a penny till id got that.

if you do owe pay Swifctover directly.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Just pay what was left owing and tell them to go play in traffic.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Right I've had a letter from Swiftcover today.

They say that the amount due is £26, great that seems about right.

Bottom of the letter after they have told me to contact Regal to pay

"Please note that should professional debt recovery services be required, we reserve the right to charge an additional fee of up to £25 to cover any costs incurred"

So it is actually Swiftcover adding fees and not the DCA.

My plan is post a cheque to Swiftcover for £26, is that the right way to go?

Yep. The dca cannot do anything or charge anything neither can the creditor. It has to be defined in the terms and can't be a penalty charge. Deal with the insurer and have a good laugh at the dca.

I would write to them first and say that the £26 is in full and final settlement of any amount owing.

And if they accept, the cheque will be sent after.

That way you cover yourself, and if they accept, then they cant even consider chasing you for anything else.

Much easier and saves any future potential hassle.